• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help i can"t open my map!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
Please someone help me!!! when I open my map i received this f***ing message.

211785-albums5408-picture55779.jpg

I work 4 hours remaking the terrain today, and for not so skilled on terraining I'm so freaking satisfied on the result. Then I saved my map then do some stuffs and when I open my map to improve something.. I just received that F ERROR! I'm so wasted right now, that was the seconds corrupted map I received just for the last two weeks! I hope someone can help about this issue. I even thinking to quit on my early career if I can't recover this map. Cause time is not my friend, and I have incoming exams, I have big responsibility on my family, and a lot of obligations to do.

Here is the link on the map my map

Level 14
Hmm, very odd indeed. When I open this map in my mpq editor there is literally NOTHING inside...

Could someone verify this?

Also, if you have used JNGP to create this map you might want to look in the backup folder of your JNGP folder.

And no, worldeditortestmap does not exist if you have never tested the map with the world editor. If you didn't test, then the map won't be there.

EDIT: I tryed adding standard files to the MPQ, all this does is it gives you the ability to open the map but you'll see a blank new map. If the MPQ is empty, your map is screwed...
Sorry bro, I can't retrieve a map if it doesn't contain any files inside :S
It didn't even contain any listfiles or attributes 0.o. A really strange case indeed.
Ow and also: I wasn't abled to add any new files to the MPQ archive unless I changed the maximum allowed files of the archive, what's up with that :S?

Do you still know when this happened?
(Also, have you tryed protecting your map in any way? Since I'm unabled to read any of the files that are supposed to be inside, even though the filesize is 3MB.)

situationc.jpg

Could someone elaborate me on why and how the hell this can happen?

Last edited:
I experience the same problem as Hashjie when I try to open the map. (I tried different MPQ editors) As far as I know, once a map is corrupted, it won't properly open through an MPQ editor. (it will experience some error along the way)

Anyway, as others have said, you should look in this folder:
Warcraft III\Maps\Test

Hopefully it has your map. If you can't find the folder, just make sure you are looking in the right area. For example, the path to mine is:
C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\Maps\Test

If the map in there is not your map, then sadly you are out of luck. =( The best thing to do would be to download Jass NewGen Pack from wc3c.net, as it will create several backups of your files for you. (and I recommend that you make backups yourself every now and again)

Level 14
I did not protect the map because its still on progress, I think the source of the error is when I'm saving the map the my computer lag for a second. then after that I can't open the map.

That might have something to do with your hard drive. I suggest that you use this to defragmentate it:

http://ultradefrag.sourceforge.net/en/index.html

Are you also experiencing other applications to open slow, save slow etc?

If your hard drive was never defragmented before and you've used it for a really long time (flagging sectors and overwriting them with new data), your hard drive might crash.
This same thing happened to my little brother's hard drive. He had to buy a new one, he couldn't reinstall windows or do anything else with it anymore :p

I explained this before on how the hard drive works and why you need to maintain it's performance by defragmentating:

Take refference here it might learn you a lot:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2081828-post8.html
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2081978-post10.html

These posts also explain that you can recover files that you've physically deleted from your hard drive...
Under some conditions ofcourse.

EDIT: I also know a registry hack which enables defragmentation of your hard drive whenever you are not using your computer. (Enable when Idle Process, nuff said)
It's extremely usefull, just ask me if you want it ;)

EDIT 2: It's also possible to defragmentate your registry in order to optimize your performance ^.^
Search on google for: WinAso Regdefrag

EDIT 3: If you're really into speeding up your computer, you might want to optimize your startup speed by turning off some applications from startup.
run -> msconfig -> startup

I hope this was usefull to someone who wants to maintain and optimize his/her computer performance/speed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.