• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HD Modeling Contest #4 - Theme Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
The last HD modeling contest was a huge success. I wonder what the next one brings to the "hall of fame".

Let the theme discussion for the HD Modeling Contest #4 begin!

I suggest a Dragon theme!

Suggestions so far (Updated Dec 5, 2022)
  • Dragon Theme (dragons or their dragon-flights themselves, dragonkin, all sorts of Nafarion's abominations, Humanoid forms and transformations, dragon-hunters/knights with dragon armour, Chromatus, Tiamat etc.)
  • Pantheon of Order
  • titan constructs; like watchers, mogu, eartherns, troggs
  • void theme
  • RPG characters
  • Nagas/sea creatures
  • Goblins
  • Creeps
  • Tauren
  • Draenor creeps/humanoids
  • Ellek’s
  • Gronn
  • Arrakoa
  • Reavers
  • Skinny void orc’s
  • Plant infested orc’s

@Barorque @Tamplier @ShadiHD @Vulfar @Bagysta @VictorZ @Vendro the Wind Mage @Raddazong @Mr Ogre man @Superfrycook @Symphoneum @dehme @Ardenaso @Fugrim @ZoomMan @vindorei

Last edited:
Maybe dragons is a bit too exclusive, perhaps a Pantheon of Order theme instead? We have had a fel-themed and a death-themed contest already, so maybe we could follow in that direction for future contests.
I've said order because dragons are inside that theme, and we barely have any titan constructs; like watchers, mogu, eartherns, troggs...
I think that a void theme would also be neat, I've always wanted to make mantids.

Another option could be to design tiered creeps (3-4 units) of X place (like Pandaria, Draenor or whatever), Y setting (like the pantheons), or just the condition of being related between them, I don't really mind. In last contest, both @liptonite and @vindorei wanted to upload several models, and we already have too many heroic models. Obviously, the contest's assessment would have to change a bit, to see if they fit together while being distinct enough between each other, and to not feel like an obvious copy of an already existing wc3 tiered unit (well, unless it's very specifically the intention, like making a chromatic or infinite dragonflight).

If we, however, end up choosing the dragon theme, I'd most likely pick Murozond and/or the infinite dragonflight as a pack. I'd do Chromie, but she's already finished (only missing a couple of tweaks).

Broad themes are pretty neat indeed, but dragons are already quite diverse in their own theme so that shouldn't be an issue?
You have many dragons and their dragon-flights themselves, dragonkin, all sorts of Nafarion's abominations etc. Humanoid forms and transformations... and maybe even dragon-hunters/knights with dragon armour could be considered a part of the theme?

On another note: If needed I can take one of the judges positions, however I will not participate in modelling itself this time, got more than enough stuff to do as is.

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 32
okay, my idea is RPG characters !

basically like Tenebrae's RPG characters

which has the animations needed other than the basic stand/walk/attack/death/decay
  • channel
  • lumber and gold, and work (for building structures)
  • throw (blink)
  • defend
  • attack slam (critical/bash)
  • spell slam (war stomp-like abilities)
  • spin (bladestorm)
  • dissipate

then the attachment points must properly be placed such that there would be no problems in equipping items, similar to these ones:

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Should we get a poll going? Or do you have other suggestions?
Dragons? I kinda want to try Chromatus, but I don’t know if I have enough time.
Uhhh, reminds me of Tiamat. That would be a fucking EPIC model :O :O :O - talk about RPG there!

1669796882993.png

Level 12
What do we have very few of on Hive?

Nagas/sea creatures (could be interesting to see what people come up with)
Goblins (could come with various mounts, robots or machines)
Creeps (might be too big a category)
Tauren

And in general, female models. There are some, but most races only have male models.

What do we have very few of on Hive?

Nagas/sea creatures (could be interesting to see what people come up with)
Goblins (could come with various mounts, robots or machines)
Creeps (might be too big a category)
Tauren

And in general, female models. There are some, but most races only have male models.
It'd be fun, I don’t know if as a contest theme or what, a full genderswap of melee units. Goblins are quite a lot, and the first contest was about creeps.

I do like a sea-themed contest tbh. Dunno if people would love it, but it's interesting.

Level 9
Draenor creeps/humanoids
Ellek’s
Gronn
Arrakoa
Reavers
Skinny void orc’s
Plant infested orc’s
the list goes on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.