• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HD Modeling Contest #2 - Theme Poll

Vote only if you plan to participate!

• (Broken) Draenei

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Burning Crusade / Legion

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Draenor/Outlands

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Naaru

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nerubian

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Worker units

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
The time has come to vote for the theme of the HD Modeling Contest #2!

Anyone may contribute to the discussion, but please do not vote if you won't join the contest.

Last edited:
I believe that outlands/burning legion encompasses everything else (except nerubian), as people can do draeneis, demons, arakkoa, naaru or whatever you may find in outlands.
I believe that a scourge/northrends themed contest would be great in the future as well, but I believe that there's an unanimous interest for TBC-themed units in this poll

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
oh then i am disqualified
How so?

EDIT: Also, let me clarify, that the rules of the last contest are not guaranteed to be the same i.e. Dissipate animation and Hero Glow for instance, might not be relevant for this one.

So the rules are not set in stone, but general rules apply like:
  • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it's yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must work in-game and be bug-free.
  • In order to enter the contest and be eligible to win a prize, contestants must submit their final entry to the HD Model Resource section. Remember to write in the description: "Entry for the 2nd HD Modeling Contest".
So these are still up for discussion:
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Entries do not necessarily have to be created from scratch. Edits from existing model are allowed as long as there is a certain amount of effort put into them, and must include a Dissipate animation and Hero Glow.
But given the last contest, I think this rule is quite important: "Entries do not necessarily have to be created from scratch. Edits from existing model are allowed as long as there is a certain amount of effort put into them".

Well i rely heavily on wow and hots parts since i find the in-game database very narrow and last time external parts were not allowed, if they are this time around then i am in
I wouldn't mind external armor or weapon's pieces (not whole characters). It's not necessarily less work than using Reforged bits, because you have to make normals and ORM. Perhaps it can be allowed as a percentage of whole model?

Also for the theme, we want people to make units this time, not heroes?

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
I wouldn't mind external armor or weapon's pieces (not whole characters). It's not necessarily less work than using Reforged bits, because you have to make normals and ORM. Perhaps it can be allowed as a percentage of whole model?
That's doable. But perhaps we need to hear more opinions on the matter? But I'm okay with a certain percentage of external assets, it primarily being weapons and armor.

@Superfrycook
@Darious
@Mr Ogre man
@Raddazong
@Ardenaso
@Bagysta
@Tamplier777
@BurnedSmackdown
@deme3s
@InsaneMonster
@Retera
@Vulfar
@Z1003
@Wildone

Also for the theme, we want people to make units this time, not heroes?
That's up for discussion. Could be either, or one of the above. There was no limitation in the theme discussion thread. But I suppose it's more a discussion about format. Like with external assets.

That's doable. But perhaps we need to hear more opinions on the matter? But I'm okay with a certain percentage of external assets, it primarily being weapons and armor.

@Superfrycook
@Darious
@Mr Ogre man
@Raddazong
@Ardenaso
@Bagysta
@Tamplier777
@BurnedSmackdown
@deme3s
@InsaneMonster
@Retera
@Vulfar
@Z1003
@Wildone

That's up for discussion. Could be either, or one of the above. There was no limitation in the theme discussion thread. But I suppose it's more a discussion about format. Like with external assets.

I approve everything, so long it fits well with reforged. This is seldom the case with WoW rips imho.

Though we can up the game in some ways. It's not like heroes are easier than units. How about making the participants show how well they can account for decay animations, which are a little more tricky than a flying-up heroes with their dissipate.

Plus I'm sure everyone saw how crazy you can go with HD models, either by using assets to transform a model, or just making 90% from scratch (but with geomerges).

Just a reminder for theme if this gets voted in (Draenor/Outlands), this opens up great alternative versions of many units:

• The more fancy Ogre Empire before they became mostly dumb brutes.
  • Arakkoa.. boy, if someone actually pulls that off!
  • Anything Burning Legion.
  • Orcs (we at CSW haven't and won't touch upon alternative Draenor, so anything Iron Horde would be still original)
  • Draenei, both "normal" and Lightforged, as well as their mechs.
  • etc. etc.

EDIT:
I approve everything, so long it fits well with reforged. This is seldom the case with WoW rips imho.
Seldom, but it can work: Nightelf Blademaster/Wardenguard Swordmaster (AoW)

I believe that, as long as it fits the style and is not an obvious import (for example, draeneis, elekks, arakkoas or any other full character), it would be fine. Imagine that someone imported a mechagnome+mechanostrider from wow and spends the time working on improving the animations or textures, while Moonman had to work almost from scratch to achieve a similar effect. Or imagine importing a female Draenei, while superfrycook had to do one from the succubi. I believe that it would not be fair for the other contestants.

On the other hand, importing a weapon, shoulderpad, helmet or minor attachment is fine. I would limit it to a couple of attachments, though.

Level 19
I believe that, as long as it fits the style and is not an obvious import (for example, draeneis, elekks, arakkoas or any other full character), it would be fine. Imagine that someone imported a mechagnome+mechanostrider from wow and spends the time working on improving the animations or textures, while Moonman had to work almost from scratch to achieve a similar effect. Or imagine importing a female Draenei, while superfrycook had to do one from the succubi. I believe that it would not be fair for the other contestants.

On the other hand, importing a weapon, shoulderpad, helmet or minor attachment is fine. I would limit it to a couple of attachments, though.
If for example i wanted to enter with a model that has similar added parts as the Draenei hero Archer the non mounted version, would i have been disqualified?

If for example i wanted to enter with a model that has similar added parts as the Draenei hero Archer the non mounted version, would i have been disqualified?
That'd depend on the judges; I believe it has too many wow imports, but in this contest that is just my opinion and nothing else.
That doesn't mean that your models are unfit outside the contest, of course. But I believe that everyone should have the same tools at their disposal; otherwise, fully imported models from blender or 3ds would have to be accepted as well. I draw the line at a singular iconic import (for example Ragnaros' sulfuras) or a couple at most, as almost everything else can be transformed from reforged assets and a lot of imagination.

Level 19
That'd depend on the judges; I believe it has too many wow imports, but in this contest that is just my opinion and nothing else.
That doesn't mean that your models are unfit outside the contest, of course. But I believe that everyone should have the same tools at their disposal; otherwise, fully imported models from blender or 3ds would have to be accepted as well. I draw the line at a singular iconic import (for example Ragnaros' sulfuras) or a couple at most, as almost everything else can be transformed from reforged assets and a lot of imagination.
I agree that a model that is totally ripped out of an external source would be too much as it is mostly owned by that external source yet for the Draenei hero Archer i had to alter all the wow items, create orms - normals and change their diffuse in order to fit reforge and at the same time work on the native textures and animations. Well i bet it's mostly a costume model than an imported one, same goes for our Nightelf Blademaster/Wardenguard Swordmaster (AoW). Yet i also understand that it is a major decision that can open ''Pandora's box'' and destroy the imagination of the creators. I will respect whatever decision the judges come out as it also bother me too.

I agree that a model that is totally ripped out of an external source would be too much as it is mostly owned by that external source yet for the Draenei hero Archer i had to alter all the wow items, create orms - normals and change their diffuse in order to fit reforge and at the same time work on the native textures and animations. Well i bet it's mostly a costume model than an imported one, same goes for our Nightelf Blademaster/Wardenguard Swordmaster (AoW). Yet i also understand that it is a major decision that can open ''Pandora's box'' and destroy the imagination of the creators. I will respect whatever decision the judges come out as it also bother me too.
I've done some wow imports as well, namely Alleria Windrunner's bow, but I don't think I'll port anything in this contest.
On the other hand, I would love to see a contest that was focused on ported assets and models from blender/3ds/substance painter. That would maybe push me to actually learn more about other tools.

Level 6
I'm no participant here, but there seems to be a clear difference between the Night Elf Blademaster and the Draenei Archer. The base model. One is too clearly a modified WoW model at its core while the other is merely dressed up with some WoW assets, and it shows.

Level 19
I'm no participant here, but there seems to be a clear difference between the Night Elf Blademaster and the Draenei Archer. The base model. One is too clearly a modified WoW model at its core while the other is merely dressed up with some WoW assets, and it shows.
The archer is based on the Satyr shadow caster with texture and animation alterations

Level 6
The archer is based on the Satyr shadow caster with texture and animation alterations
Then I retract my assumption. That's impressive. I suppose what I'm seeing is more about how the equipment is applied and designed.

Status
Not open for further replies.