• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Haunted Pumpkin Forest

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: Heinvers
Test
During fall every year in a forest known as the Pumpkin forest, Phantoms from old battles come back from the afterlife to haunt the living and relive old battles. They terrorize the native Furbolg population who are famous for their great pumpkins.

TitlePic_zps28522212.png

IngamePic1_zps385e457b.png
IngamePic2_zps6d23195a.png
IngamePic3_zps564dcdd0.png
IngamePic4_zps9e3d2859.png

MapOverview_zps47d8d620.png

This map was made for the Melee map Contest #1 and some of the models that I made and put in this map are for it too (just to change it up) although its the map that is being judged : ).

enjoy and here are the credits:
Models
By War3 Legends Project [A Void] : Lordaeron Summer Forest (War3 Legends)
Geries : Stone Fence
WILL THE ALMIGHTY : The Great Pumpkin Monster

Skins
67chrome : EpicRPGTileset_by67chrome.blp

Miner fix to the creep camps.
Fixed mid gold mines
Opened up the gold mines next to the starting mines that have creeps some
Removed the barricades at the ends of the bridges

Gold on the map has been reduced from 125000 to 95000 (to balance out number of mines and force more expansion.
All rocks will be destroyed after 5 minutes so that they will open up later game allowing faster paths no matter what (so they still serve as early game barriers).
Haunted spirits at night have been disabled.
Permanent Haunting spirits are scattered throughout the woods (doodads)
Undead and Phantom creeps are now registered as undead.
Opened up some of the paths a bit more
Added more decorative doodads
A couple creep drops adjusted (only a couple)

(contest entry version: the version uploaded for the contest)

Keywords:
Pumpkin, Melee, Entry, Fun, Haunted, Forest.
Contents

Haunted Pumpkin Forest (Map)

Reviews
21:44, 3rd Dec 2014 StoPCampinGn00b: See my short reviews.

Deleted member 237964

D

Deleted member 237964

No comments? Well.......i be first then.I'm not a huge fan to melee maps but i like this one.I also like Phantom footman and Chaplain.

Level 14
New:

I just recently went through this map and will be giving another minor update real quick.

Things that will be fixed:
The goldmines in the middle lack enough space to build an expo without knocking down some of the tree clusters.

The bridge at the top which is blocked by crates can be cleared by players but will not be cleared by NPC's, thus blocking the path entirely for them if the crates are left.

one or two of the spots in the woods need a bit of widening.

Things to be noted:
The rock barriers on the map are owned by neutral hostile so that A NPC will clear them out rather than leaving them alone. this is ok for game play but does make a dot for a creep camp on the map even though they are structures.

P.S. Keep in mind these updates are to only make sure that the map is playable so it might be approved : ).

Level 32
What's good is that you've included added neutral buildings. You've included the must have ones (taverns and goblin merchants) along with two extra goblin laboratories. The map is also very symmetric, maybe there are two different themed creep camps, but they don't affect the symmetry of the map at all.

The fact that there are 5 gold mines on for each player isn't unacceptable, it's just excessive and unneeded unless players would want to play for a while. Adding on to that, the map is pretty big for a 1v1 map. These two things I've listed points out that this would suit a four player map, a 2v2 for sure due to how the layout is. The two goldmines near the middle are available for expo, but there should be more space. Those chokepoint entrances are way to small also. The creep camps aren't bad but the drops could be a bit better. The south furbolg ursa warrior drops any artifact item. It is a low chance, but there is a chance it can drop a useless item as few of those artifact items don't give any stats. Why select some camps to have only charged or any specific?

Anywhere there are pumpkins the map looks decent. But outside of the middle and a few decorative areas, the map is just terrain and trees (maybe a bridge or two). The customized terrain was a good idea to make the map Halloween themed, but the tile usage was lacking. Mix some things a little up more and add some contrast.

Overall, I feel the map needs some work. The map will stay in the pending section for 7 days until the author decides to fix the map. If it isn't fixed in that time, I will set this to await update. Happy Hiving!
-SCN

Last edited:
Level 16
I like what I see, I will download this soon(tm)

JC's Review
[rainbow]Map Review[/rainbow]
by: JCarrill0

Map Name: Haunted Pumpkin Forest
Map Author: imforfun

[COLOR=White

Intro[/COLOR]]Wanted to review this first, reminded me of Halloween map by blizzard and I really wanted to see it in action!

Unexpected tab 1

[tab=[B]GENERAL:[/B]]
  1. Great idea for melee Map content
  2. Wasn't too big for a Melee map either
[/tab]

[tab=[B]PROS:[/B]]
  • beautiful design of the overall Pumpkin, Model, units, layover etc
  • Bridge model gets a special appreciation, simply loved it!
  • The orb of darkness model was Lovely. My mountain king loved using it!
[/tab]

[tab=[B]Need Updates:[/B]]
  • The spectral is undead yes (searching warcraft info.. yep, it should be considered undead imo). I couldnt used Holy Light on the mobs, it was kinda sad, but The models looks awesome!
[/tab]

[tab=[B]Needs Fixes:[/B]]
  • Ai doesn't seem to break The rocks, maybe see if its just me or possibly add that in.
[/tab]

[tab=[B]QUESTIONS:[/B]]
  1. What got you to come up with the idea? It was well thought of imo, and would like to see other in the future!
  2. when my units were following my hero(priest footmen & Mortar teams), the curse animation you got doing random all over the map seem to stop my units if they got hit. Is that a bug? or meant to happen on melee map?
[/tab]

[tab=[B]SUGGESTIONS:[/B]]
  • Change the spectral units to undead category, and possibly a Pumpkin Boss? Just a thought (wait it wouldn't be melee then!)
[/tab]

[COLOR=Silver

Conclusion[/COLOR]]
This map is fun to enjoy during the autumn season especially on Halloween!

Rating: 4/5
Vote: Approval

[Rainbow]Disclaimer: I am not considered an "Official Hive" Map reviewer as of yet, but I do hope to become one in the possible future.[/rainbow]

Level 14
Thanks guys! I might look into fixing it up later but until the contest ends I don't find it a good idea to upload a changed version (not quite fare to change it after the contest ended (but has not been judged yet)) : )

Answers to questions-

1: I had a VERY different idea for how I was going to make the map in the beginning with it mostly being indoors but as it evolved it turned into a forest and as for all of the pumpkins, they were planned to keep it holiday themed. Also I am currently working on another map… and it is going to be drastically different than any other melee map I know of.

2: it is a bug but if they can still move Afterward than it’s a happy accident and is a cool feature to make things a bit harder during night! >: D

Will fix the undead units and I could always add a big pumpkin boss creep in the middle (of course with a worthwhile but not melee breaking drop).

P.S. first time is alarm, second time is the charm!

Level 16
is there any way you can fix that bug, I would hate for half my army to stop moving cuz of it, makes the game unbalanced imo, it's like I have to pay extra attention to every unit not assigned that I normally don't have to assign in any other map I play.

To me I would end up avoiding the map just because it stops my units movement and future shift commands. (Its not just movement, I have told it to attack 3 different location and just stops and never moved until I told it to redo the commands after I noticed it was stopped.)

Level 14
weird that special affects would somehow affect units, but it will either be fixed or removed later once I fix everything else I can. : )

OK, updated and also have the version for the contest added so it can be judged accordingly for the contest. This does not fix everything but will help!

Last edited:
Level 14
hmmmm, well things have been changed... feel free to do what is most convenient and I wall fix it up more in spare time ^_^, also feel free to say anything else that might need fixing if you happen upon something while chance playing lol.

when I go back to fix it up more I am going to look into item drops some and maybe add more decoration around. (also will not be worrying about map size... at least this time)

Thanks for you time and help! : D

Level 32
You're going in the right direction. But at the same time, I can still consider this a lot less than average though (but better than before). It's still mostly plain and simply not a recommended melee map for actual melee players. I've set this to await update/needs fix. No need for a speedy fix though, perhaps you could wait for PKcrafty to see what he thinks of your map.

I've also included tutorials. The second one is advanced, but it is very helpful.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/how-create-melee-maps-187652/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/competitive-melee-map-252987/

Level 14
Ah, I have seen the second page and browsed over it before : D!

I will take my time on this map although it was mostly for the contest.
(from the beginning I knew i started it kinda big for a 2v2 but eh)

Been working on my second melee map as well and right know I am seeing if their is a way to get around a problem.
(objects that go below terrain but are below alpha tiles tend to have everything below the terrain cut off by a black sheet when the areas are not visible to the player, which I did not need to bother with on another map when i gave a visibility modifier over the whole map but in a melee map that is not going to happen XD)

also been working on another map... which is not melee but something very different.

I jump around a lot to keep things fresh.

P.S. going to start the second map right from the get go (size n all).

thanks again! : )