• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hill Haunt

This bundle is marked as lacking. It fails to meet the standard requirements and may only have minor use.
Originally dry and narrow mountains are now starting to flood during continuous rains. Some of the wild tribes are furiously protecting the precious water sources.

- map have interesting pathing
- 16000 gold starting gold mines, 15000 gold secondary gold mines for each player, 6 third gold mines with 15000 gold at the center
- each player have 5 camps at his starting territory 2 green 2 orange and 1 red (and 1 more orange at the second gold mine), there are more camps at the center
- most camps are random units but balanced
- nothing crazy
- the corner players are more far from the central gold mines but others may have less lumber at the starting zones
Contents

Hill Haunt (Map)

Reviews
mafe
So... once again, many of the issues from your bundle apply here too, however mostly to a lesser extend. Keeping with the enumeration from this post https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/quarhodron-3.339803/#post-3540815 on this map it is as follows...
mafe
So uhm do I understand correctly that you changed the lvl 6 artifact item drop to a lvl 6 any item drop, but made no further changes? Or am I missing something obvious? If so, that's not enough. To avoid any misunderstanding: 3+4: Some itemdrops are...

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
So... once again, many of the issues from your bundle apply here too, however mostly to a lesser extend. Keeping with the enumeration from this post
on this map it is as follows:
1. The main base layout here are actually mostly ok.
2. There are still gaps between trees, but much fewer of them.
3+4. The item tables are more standard, but still sometimes only the level but not the class is specified. There is a nonexistent "lvl 6 artifact" drop. Item drop chances should alway be 100%, and the strength of item drops and creepcamps still doesnt really fit.
5. Some creeps can aggro by accident, but at least the majority wont.
6. It's good that most creeps are on camp stance, however at gold mines they should not be.
7. Again, no shop or tavern.

Specific to this map:
8. While random creeps can be fun, you should ensure that creepspots made up entirely of flying unit cannot happen, since many races cannot kill them before the midgame.
9. Visually the map is in an acceptable state, but there's always possible to do more, like for example you could make more use of the raise/lower tools.
10. Some players perceive global weather effects as distracting, so it can be better to only use them locally with the help of regions.

What stands about this map are the large distances, which are amplified by there being long corridor-like areas which mean that often players cannot even take the direct path from A to B. Generally I cannot recommend using such corridors, as I dont see it as fun if you have to spend a long time just walking around and having restricted movement options. Usually good maps allow players to move into at least 3 different general directions from most locations of the map, and while sometimes corridors are unavoidable, they are typically much, much shorter than on this map. Now I understand they seem to be one of your key ideas for this map, so you dont have to change them, but keep this in mind for the future.
To some extent, is personal preference, for people who have no problem with this kind of this, this could be a good and fun map.

Overall this map requires improvements to 3,4,6 and 7, but once they are it should be in a good state. Map set to Awaiting Update.

Level 12
i have seen some blizzard maps have creep camps set on camp status at gold mine and shops, they still attack if peon gets inside, on this map i made them on camp status because they will attack if player walks at the top or bottom side direction left or right only.
level 6 artifact drop is a mistake i remade it to level 6 any and will upload it again, but i dont have time to do any more changes
Edit: if you read descrition rain is main reason for battle conflict, if someone gets distracted he need more skill
Edit2: File above is also updated, I will do the same for Time Island map, I personally like the map a lot but it still have unusual and strange item drop system

Attachments

• HillHaunt.w3x
    348.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
So uhm do I understand correctly that you changed the lvl 6 artifact item drop to a lvl 6 any item drop, but made no further changes? Or am I missing something obvious?

If so, that's not enough. To avoid any misunderstanding:
3+4: Some itemdrops are very bad. There is no way a lvl 4 (or 5) item should ever drop from a creepcamp that consists only of a lvl 5/lvl 4/lvl 3 creep. Please look at blizzard ladder maps to find out what is appropriate. And again, it's best to exclusively use 100% drop chance AND to specify a class like permanent/charged/artifact.
6. Could you give an example on which blizzard map has creeps at mines that are not on camp stance? If a lvl 7+ creep is present at a mine, then yes, creeps dont automatically have to be on non-camp stance, because lvl 7+ creeps always attack buildings from further away than normal creeps. But here at the creepcamps in the "valley" in the middle, there are no lvl 7 creeps. Given the layout of the map, it's not the biggest issue, but it just feels unnecessary to keep it this way. If you are worried that these creeps might attack player units because they are not on camp stance, well there are many other creepcamps where this can happen too (despite creeps being on camp stance). Why would it be an issue with these gold mine camps, but not for the dozen or so other camps?
7. Not having a shop and tavern means that basic strategic gameplay options, which every play expects to have access to, are missing.

So sorry, more updates (ideally with a patchlog) or better explanations are required. Map set back to Awaiting update.