• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hardened Skin ability and armor not stacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hi all, I'm trying to make an item (a shield) that has Hardened Skin on it as well as armor, and it seems as if the armor mitigation isn't actually being factored in at all, like I have a Gnoll that does 2 damage, hitting my paladin with a Hardened Skin ability that blocks 1 point of damage, but the armor doesn't seem to want to work with the ability at all, it just does a perfectly even 1.00 damage after blocking the other half of the 2 damage, I really want the armor to mitigate some damage as well :(.

I feel like I may have to use the damage engine or something to set this up I'm just not 100% sure how to go about it.

Note: I have the minimum damage of hardened skin set to 0.01 so it's not that so don't worry.

Level 5
What's odd is if I give the Gnoll Critical Strike, and it crits the Paladin, the damage mitigation seems to actually be factored in, but ONLY on crits, I just felt like that might be worth noting.

Level 5
Idk, it's weird, I have it set to .01 minimum damage, and sometimes it just procs for 1 or .1

o_O

Attachments

• test.png
    test.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
Level 5
My world editor must be glitching then because I am literally doing that as we speak and the attacks are doing 0.10 dmg

o_O

Attachments

• .1.png
    .1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 105
Level 39
What I said before was slightly incorrect. I tested for you, and I should have said:
  • Armor cannot reduce incoming damage below 1.00, no matter how much you have. A unit with 99% damage reduction from armor still takes 1.00 damage from units that attack it with a 10-10 damage range.
  • Hardened skin can reduce damage to whatever minimum number is specified in its data fields, including numbers below 1.00. (You can put 0 instead of 0.01 and it still works, btw)
  • Hardened skin is applied to incoming damage before damage reduction from armor is in effect.
  • If HS reduces incoming damage below 1.00, then armor is simply not applied to the resulting damage, since armor couldn't reduce it below 1.00 anyway. If HS reduces damage to something greater than 1.00, then armor will be applied down to the 1.00 minimum cap as stated above.
These rules should be consistent with the behavior you're seeing if you think about it enough. Here are a couple examples:
  • Incoming damage: 10
  • Armor reduction: 50%
  • HS reduction: 10 points
  • HS minimum: 2.00
  • Result: unit takes 1.00 damage (2 reduced by armor to 1)

• HS reduction: 10 points
  • HS minimum: 0.40
  • Result: unit takes 0.40 damage (armor doesn't reduce anything here)

• HS reduction: 1 point
  • HS minimum: 1.00 (irrelevant in this example, it's not factored in)
  • Result: unit takes 5.50 damage (HS reduces incoming from 10 to 9, then mitigated by armor)

Last edited:
Level 5
Hmmmmm well thank you I really appreciate this hmmm.. it changes up my game plan a little but it's all good, and LOL thank you so much man, cause I never would of found that out because I was testing this, literally on 1-2 damage, and just throwing armor on my hero in the editor going "Why isn't this working??" soooooooooooo considering all this ^ xD

Lmao you're a lifesaver

Status
Not open for further replies.