• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hardcore Hero Island

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
headerA.png
Okay!
Now, Since I started the development of this map, I've grown way more skillful in the world editor and learned how to apply JASS coding effectively. This project is put together in a very dis-organized fashion and I've been wanting to make a lot of changes lately.. I've decided to start all over with a clean slate, from the beginning. While version 0.43 will be playable until the new 1.0 is ready for play.. I'll be improving the map in ways that would have been a real pain in the ass before.. But please, let me know what you like about .43 so I can have more of an idea what to carry over into 1.0!

What is this!?
This is a map I've been working on for quite sometime now, and it has been tested in public games since then. Although I don't consider it finished I do consider it playable- and quite fun.

What kind of map is it?
I would classify it as a hero arena, with multiple play modes. There's currently 3 modes of play in which the two teams of up to 5 players each must accomplish some goal to defeat the other team. I will describe the three modes later. I do hope on refining the current modes more and adding more in the future.

How does it stand out from other hero arenas?
Well for starters, many unique heroes and items, making room for many strategies and play techniques. But the main attribute that sets hhi apart from other hero arenas is the game modes. Ever notice how most arena games you play seem the same in a way? You're just playing a deathmatch, let's see who can get the most kills! I find deathmatches rather dull and lacking any real strategy. Deathmatches are almost impossible to truly balance and usually require no real team effort. In hhi, teamwork is 95% of the game, without teamwork, you're almost guaranteed a loss.

Is there custom content?
Well of course! All heroes are completely custom made by me, and each have a unique starting "hero item" which can be upgraded, now of course these aren't the only items in the game. There are many more which can be purchased, and there is a recipe system for combining weaker items to make stronger ones.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

modes.png

King of the Hill
King of the Hill is a traditional style king of the hill match, where each team must accumulate the goal amount of time to win the game. There are 3 locations on the map in which the "hill" can move to, North, Center, and South. The hills location changes randomly between the three locations every 4 minutes. To initiate this mode, Player 1 must type -kothXX at the start of the round, XX being the required time spent on the hill to win, ranging from 10-30 minutes.

Tug of War
In tug of war mode there is a large green object in the center of the map known as the "ball" (uses eye of sargares model). Each team must attempt to pull this ball to their end of the map by standing near it, the more teammates standing near the ball, the faster it will move toward that team's end of the map. Losing teams are given "special points" (lumber) to buy abilities that will aid them in preventing the opposing team's success. To initiate this mode, Player 1 must type -tow at the start of the game.

Golem
In Golem mode, each team has a large golem on their side, each of equal power. These golems continually walk to the center of the map to fight eachother. The golems will only attack other golems, but heroes can fight golems. Players can obtain "special points" (lumber) by killing opposing heroes or a certain amount of creeps. These special points can be spent on upgrades for your golem. When your team's golem is victorious (kills the opposing golem) your team gains a point, and the process of the two golems meeting in the middle to fight starts again. To initiate this mode, Player 1 must type -golXX at the start of the game, where XX is the amount of points to win, ranging from 5-25.

items.png

There are many custom items in hardcore hero island which can be used strategically in different situations against different opponents. Gain gold from killing creeps or opposing heroes, and use it to buy items to assist you in your strategy. Whether you need magic resistance, armor, attack damage, speed, there's an item to help you. Lacking disables? Maybe you'll need a zapstick to purge your enemies and slow them down! Don't forget each hero has a unique item that can be upgraded, it's like having a 5th ability!

Contacting Me
If you'd like to contact me about the map, or play it with me, you can obviously reach me here on the hive, or on battle.net West, or you can visit the hardcore hero island forums! Hardcore Hero Island

Any thoughts or criticisms on the map are appreciated, and if you'd like to play with me sometime just let me know! Be warned though, I'm very good at the game.

~Thanks for reading!

Find the map here:
Hardcore Hero Island v.43 - Warcraft 3 Maps - EpicWar.com

Some Screenies of the playable version.

Attachments

• ss1.jpg
    ss1.jpg
    667.4 KB · Views: 537
  • ss2.jpg
    ss2.jpg
    699.5 KB · Views: 368
  • ss3.jpg
    ss3.jpg
    654.5 KB · Views: 346
  • ss4.jpg
    ss4.jpg
    646.1 KB · Views: 317
  • ss5.jpg
    ss5.jpg
    712.2 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
Level 7
Alright i added a couple of screenshots, although they don't do the game a lot of justice in my opinion. Guess I'm not a very good wc3 photographer.

Level 7
Anybody try it out yet?
I'm really interested in getting some feedback, it's hard to spread the map around and get people interested.

I'm currently working on the next version which will bring in two new heroes, new items, and other features and changes.

Level 9
I've played it, its really fun because its like dota in the way that there is no over powered items that are better than the rest and the items you pick depend on your opponents give it a balanced feel of game play.

Level 7
Just finished and uploaded version 0.41, find the link on the first post.
Find the changelog here

Please try the map out I'd really like to get more feedback on it, don't let the name scare you off, I know it sounds immature and might make the map seem less attractive, but I've put a lot of work into this!

Level 8
Nice map. Loving it. Need some improvements on the terrain, but what the heck, this is not even finished yet! Lol, quickly finish it or I'll eat you alive.

[edit]
I think I found a bug:
I can sell the hero item upgrade recipe! Once I sold it, I can't upgrade my hero item anymore, because the shop doesn't sell it anymore.

Level 7
Awesome, thanks for the comment. I'm in the process of making a LOT of changes.. actually I'm reconstructing the map from the ground up. For a few reasons. I'll edit the first post right now, and update the link to the latest version.

Level 8
Yeah lolz. You have also, indirectly, helped me in numerous occasions. Lol now I'm using your map as a reference to my map making. If I'm ever confused about something on my map, like "should i use custom skins or not?", I'd look at your map and make up my mind what I'd do. Thanks man.

Level 7
That's alright, lol. I'm remaking the game if you hadn't noticed. Check out the first post again.

Don't let this stop you from playing .43 though :p
Need more people to try it out, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.