• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hard to kill heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I may soon start working on a campaign of my own, one question I hsve for the hive modders is: What ability do you suggest I give a hero to make him extremly hard to kill, Ive been told spell immunity and hardened skin. but what are some additional ones

Level 5
It depends what kind of units the hero might be fighting against. Activatable or passive? Ranged or melee hero? What kind of spells does the hero have? Etc.

I woould go mostly with passives, but some actives as well, its supposed to be a melee hero whose spells I haven't decided yet

Level 12
There's a problem with giving a hero a lot of armor and HP regen from the start - it feels daunting to even try to beat it. Alternatively, you could create two passive abilities based on regeneration ring and ring of protection with multiple levels, and using a trigger change the level according to the hero's current HP. If it has high HP, it is like any normal hero, and if it has low HP, it will regenerate like crazy and be much harder to hit. This gives your hero the illusion of normality while making it difficult to kill.

Level 5
what im trying to create is a hero who both looks intimidating and is tough to beat, it might feel daunting but thats the whole point, but I rather give the hero a number of good abilities than 2,000hp, he's supposed to have around 1,500 at lvl 10

@cleavinghammer
that would not go with the hero's theme

Level 11
There's a problem with giving a hero a lot of armor and HP regen from the start - it feels daunting to even try to beat it. Alternatively, you could create two passive abilities based on regeneration ring and ring of protection with multiple levels, and using a trigger change the level according to the hero's current HP. If it has high HP, it is like any normal hero, and if it has low HP, it will regenerate like crazy and be much harder to hit. This gives your hero the illusion of normality while making it difficult to kill.
This is a good idea. You can use that for other abilities, as Evasion (less HP, môre chance). Maybe you should say the concept of the hero, so it will be easier to help you.

Level 10
While there a lre a good chunk of ideas to increase the effective hitpoints of the hero, we shoupd also look at other ways to increase the survivability of a hero.

I'm mainly talking about CC abilities or abilities that require movement from the enemy. The less often the ebemy is attacking, the longer the hero survives. And slows play a crucial role here. Thunder clap, or example, is one of the main reasons mountain kings are pretty hard to take down. It creates a threat due to the AOE damage while slowing affected enemies, making them take attack less often. Knokback abilities fall into the same vein.

Level 11
Maybe, you van create a massive damage objective spell, with a velocity of 350 (similar as the velocity of units)
By this way, the player must decide.if he want to receive massive damage, or lose his time running to evoid the missile.

Level 14
This is a bit op, but it fits with one of my heroes in my campaign since it’s a single player RPG. It’s a last stand ability that can only be activated when the hero has less than 25% health remaining. When it is used it deals damage to all surrounding enemies equal to the amount of health the caster is missing. It also increases the armor of the caster to allow him to sustain more damage and survive long enough to be healed.

I’m not sure what sort of map you are making, but just thought I’d drop this idea in here.

Level 5
look this is what the schenario is

you're fighting against a count -this count howver cowers in his castle while his chief lieutenant confronts you, you & your small army confront him and his small army, however I want him to be tough as nails at this encounter

Level 38
Give him an aura that affects his allied army. The Lieutenant gains significant damage reduction against all damage based on the number of allies he is currently affecting with his aura, and his allied units in the aura passively gain health over time or have increased attack speed or some other bonus you feel is relevant. The way to defeat him is to reduce his damage reduction to a point where damage against him 'sticks' by either killing his troops (in the aura where it's harder or out of it where it's easier) or crowd control/taunt/push-ing his units out of his aura long enough to get in some serious damage on the boss.

I would scale the resistance such that he's totally immune with slightly less than all of his forces in close range, so killing like 3 of them makes him only have 98% reduction or something. As the number of allies diminishes this reduction becomes 90..85..80..75..65..50..30..5..0 so it is more effective the more you kill. Clue players into this mechanic by popping up big "IMMUNE" floating text when a damage instance against him is fully prevented, and perhaps pause the battle briefly to play a 5 second cinematic of him saying something when the necessary number of units to break the 'total immunity' has been reached.

Giving him damage reduction rather than the invulnerable ability means that while he can't be damaged players can still hold him in place with crowd control, debuff him, or cast other spells that require a target. They will also have to micro a bit to make sure their forces aren't wasting attacks on the boss. A smart player will naturally think to separate some of the boss's weaker force units and kill them.

Last edited:
Give him an aura that affects his allied army. The Lieutenant gains significant damage reduction against all damage based on the number of allies he is currently affecting with his aura, and his allied units in the aura passively gain health over time or have increased attack speed or some other bonus you feel is relevant. The way to defeat him is to reduce his damage reduction to a point where damage against him 'sticks' by either killing his troops (in the aura where it's harder or out of it where it's easier) or crowd control/taunt/push-ing his units out of his aura long enough to get in some serious damage on the boss.

I would scale the resistance such that he's totally immune with slightly less than of his forces in close range, so killing like 2 of them makes him only have 98% reduction or something. As the number of allies diminishes this reduction becomes 90..85..80..75..65..50..30..5..0 so it is more effective the more you kill. Clue players into this mechanic by popping up big "IMMUNE" floating text when a damage instance against him is fully prevented, and perhaps pause the battle briefly to play a 5 second cinematic of him saying something when the necessary number of units to break the 'total immunity' has been reached.

Giving him damage reduction rather than the invulnerable ability means that while he can't be damaged players can still hold him in place with crowd control, debuff him, or cast other spells that require a target. They will also have to micro a bit to make sure their forces aren't wasting attacks on the boss. A smart player will naturally think to separate some of the boss's weaker force units and kill them.

Include summoning abilities for the lulz.

Level 5
thanks for the input guys, some of my buddies have suggested that I create multiple devotion auras so they would stack and only affect the hero, so he will have very high armor until all of his soldiers are destroyed, is this a viable solution???

Level 5
give the hero hardened skin + spell immunity

you can allso give it reincarnation or a poweful healing spell as the ultimate to make the battle last longer

Level 7
Here is what I would do:
*give the hero a good amount of armor e.g. 10+
*give the hero excellent health regeneration-to make the player unable to hit and run
*give the hero an ability that reduces damage from spells, e.g. Elune's Grace

with 1500 health and these additional things the hero wont be an easy kill

Lastly you could give the hero avatar or a metamorphosis like ability that is automatically activated via trigger when the Hero's health gets to a certain threshold, e.g. 25% or so making the battle even more interesting

Level 8
Mirror Image comes to mind, but you could also think of some trigger based mechanics instead.

Level 5
Here is what I would do:
*give the hero a good amount of armor e.g. 10+
*give the hero excellent health regeneration-to make the player unable to hit and run
*give the hero an ability that reduces damage from spells, e.g. Elune's Grace

with 1500 health and these additional things the hero wont be an easy kill

Lastly you could give the hero avatar or a metamorphosis like ability that is automatically activated via trigger when the Hero's health gets to a certain threshold, e.g. 25% or so making the battle even more interesting

This is good! any other useful suggestions??

Level 7
Give the hero a healing ability that gets him back up to full heal, and use a trigger to have the hero cast this ability right as his health gets below 15%

This will definitely frustrate the player + keep the hero going

Level 38
If you want additional help you'll need to elaborate on exactly how you want the battle to take place
the theme is basically of a strong fighter-type hero
you're fighting against a count -this count howver cowers in his castle while his chief lieutenant confronts you, you & your small army confront him and his small army, however I want him to be tough as nails at this encounter

Level 5
ok. you have a strong fighter type swordsman hero with a melee attack, you have a small army about 50 food (but around 10 go on your peasants and 5 for the hero) so 35 food left to waste on your troops you have to go and and confront the count's leutenant's army and beat them. The main thing i want is for it to be really hard to eliminate the enemy's hero so the battle wont seem easy, the hero is also a strong melee type

Level 7
I would recommend 3 things:
Reincarnation: have to kill the hero twice
Giving the hero avatar: again it would make the battle much harder
Giving the hero an ability that summons multiple strong units with either vampiric aura or some healing aura: Ive seen this done before and it will take things to another level for the player

Level 5
is there any way to prevent the player casting negative buffs on him? I feel that thats an cheap strategy to win

Level 7
I have not done any serious modding in awhile, but here are some options I would reccomend to counter negative buffs such as slow or fairy fire
*Spell Immunity - solves the problem completely, but may not be the appropriate solution
*Amulet of spell shield ability - blocks a negative spell once every (x) seconds, I think this should work well
*Give the hero the abolish magic, plus put it on autocast and make sure to change the targets option to "self", such that the hero will automatically dispell any negative buff cast on him

There are more things you can do just cant think of them right now

Level 7
If you use the amulet of spell shield ability I believe it blocks a single spell every 40 or so seconds. But you have the ability to change it to however many seconds you want, so the player can still successfully cast negative buffs on this hero -he just has to do it twice under 40 or however many seconds for it to work.

Level 7
If you want him almost invincible give him tons of armor

do this

create multiple devotion auras so they would stack and only affect the hero, so he will have very high armor until all of his soldiers are destroyed

this is very viable imo

Status
Not open for further replies.