• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Blueprint on how to build a faction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey everyone! I was wondering, among the many experienced modders, creators and such, what exactly is the formula for building a usable faction? I know that no two factions are not going to be the same but they all share common factors (such as several unique mechanics, special ways of gathering rescources, special builder mechanics, tier one melee, etc.) and Im finding it hard to work on my project without something visual I can look at

So my question is: is it possible to post a sort of blueprint to help those like me in designing factions?

Level 30
Hey everyone! I was wondering, among the many experienced modders, creators and such, what exactly is the formula for building a usable faction? I know that no two factions are not going to be the same but they all share common factors (such as several unique mechanics, special ways of gathering rescources, special builder mechanics, tier one melee, etc.) and Im finding it hard to work on my project without something visual I can look at

So my question is: is it possible to post a sort of blueprint to help those like me in designing factions?

One Question: What do you mean with Faction? Do you mean Race (Like Human, Orc etc.) or things like the "Warsong Clan" or "The Scourge".

Come up with one defining feature, and work from there. If it's the name, build around that, if its a single race, build around that. Come up with a distinctive, iconic style for your faction/race. Let's go with 'Centaur'.

As a pre-existing species in Warcraft, I suggest checking as many relevant articles from WoWwiki as possible. Look up the Centaur culture, history and so on.

Since the Centaurs are, to an extent, shamanistic and warlike, put a large emphasis on elemental magic, or totems, aswell as brute strength. The Centaur are also fast runners, and so a Centaur race/faction would require some scout units.

Now, about the techtree. Structures and research options need to reflect the race/faction. Centaurs are nomadic, and so their structures should be cheap, quick to build, and very flimsy. They are also raiders. So, Centaurs should have abilities that reflect this, such as an upgradeable Pillage, or the ability to have workers harvest destroyed catapults and other 'dead' mechanical units for lumber.

Come up with four main bulletpoints about Centaur culture. Four very different points. Now that thats done, create four different, unique Heroes that embody those points.

After that, the rest should come together as you work.

Level 4
Come up with one defining feature, and work from there. If it's the name, build around that, if its a single race, build around that. Come up with a distinctive, iconic style for your faction/race. Let's go with 'Centaur'.

As a pre-existing species in Warcraft, I suggest checking as many relevant articles from WoWwiki as possible. Look up the Centaur culture, history and so on.

Since the Centaurs are, to an extent, shamanistic and warlike, put a large emphasis on elemental magic, or totems, aswell as brute strength. The Centaur are also fast runners, and so a Centaur race/faction would require some scout units.

Now, about the techtree. Structures and research options need to reflect the race/faction. Centaurs are nomadic, and so their structures should be cheap, quick to build, and very flimsy. They are also raiders. So, Centaurs should have abilities that reflect this, such as an upgradeable Pillage, or the ability to have workers harvest destroyed catapults and other 'dead' mechanical units for lumber.

Come up with four main bulletpoints about Centaur culture. Four very different points. Now that thats done, create four different, unique Heroes that embody those points.

After that, the rest should come together as you work.

Thank you so much ^_^ thats exactly what I was needing, it makes sense as I read it but I have a hard time "visualizing" the process you know?

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

The Idea Factory is always a good idea to collect some ideas and to brainstorm together.

Direfury basically said most points already.
Make sure you offer different army build options while preserving unit roles, like tank, caster and damage dealer. Variety is always a good idea, instead of good old massing crypt fiends when playing Undead in wc3, for example.

Else I can only recommend to be very creative.
Take a look on this for example: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/idea-factory-462/plague-scourge-race-ideas-277248/
The more creative your ideas are, the harder the map creation, but the better the result.

Level 4
The Idea Factory is always a good idea to collect some ideas and to brainstorm together.

Direfury basically said most points already.
Make sure you offer different army build options while preserving unit roles, like tank, caster and damage dealer. Variety is always a good idea, instead of good old massing crypt fiends when playing Undead in wc3, for example.

Else I can only recommend to be very creative.
Take a look on this for example: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/idea-factory-462/plague-scourge-race-ideas-277248/
The more creative your ideas are, the harder the map creation, but the better the result.

Thank you everyone this is helping so much!!

Level 28
Based on the existing factions, you basically need the worker, basic melee and ranged units, two or three casters (one healing spell, one dispelling spell, negative/positive buffs), an artillery unit, a heavy melee unit, a fast unit, a detector, an invisible unit, and a basic, heavy, and magic air unit (one of which specializes in anti-air), combining atttributes as necessary.

Hero-wise, among the three or four heroes you need at minimum a healing spell, a summon, a stun, an AoE, and an aura.

Last edited:
Level 4
This tutorial goes over what a race needs to contain http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...8/how-create-full-working-custom-race-119435/ Basically not too different from what's been said already.

Based on the existing factions, you basically need the worker, basic melee and ranged units, two or three casters (one healing spell, one dispelling spell, negative/positive buffs), an artillery unit, a heavy melee unit, a fast unit, a detector, an invisible unit, and a basic, heavy and magic air unit (one of which specializes in anti-air), combining atttributes as necessary.

Hero-wise, among the three or four heroes you need at minimum a healing spell, a summon, a stun, an AoE, and an aura.

It depends on what you want the race to be. For example, Orcs are focused on strong melee ground units and are somewhat lacking in air strength, so they don't have a heavy magical flyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.