• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HaradrimAssassin

I was actually working on something else, but a flash of inspiration made me change my mind and make this hero.

The Haradrim Assassins (from Lord of the Rings) are amongst Middle Earth's most feared warriors. They're very skilled and extremely well in using daggers. In contrary to most other Haradrims, these guys usually carry a pair of daggers along with some envenomed thrown blades. They're also masters in sneak attacks and hiding in the shadows. Many deaths, especially of Gondorians are accounted to these guys, and their dark glory reaches into most corners of Middle Earth. Although only lightly armored, they can stay for long in the battle, as they are well trained in parrying and evading attacks.

The model is mainly made for Lord of the Rings maps and campaigns, but can also be used for Crusader stuff (as a Saracenian) and such. I removed the entire alt-form's skeleton, geosets, materials, emitters and event objects. In addition, some other bones (like the hair's) have also been removed as they aren't needed any longer and only increase the filesize. I hope you like the final result.

Feel free to use this model in any imaginable way, including editing, if desired. No need to ask me for permission. Have fun with it! :wink:

EDIT 1: completely replaced the head and also the blades of the daggers. The change of the head makes this model even fit as a usual assassin or slayer. This change also lowered the filesize a bit. :wink:

EDIT 2: my special thanks to MiniMage for showing me some nice programs and special ways about how to optimize this model further, thereby reducing the filesize even more. With his help, this ressource could be greatly improved. :wink:

EDIT 3: just applied the "new optimization method" at all Haradrim models i made. Filesize has been reduced and quality slightly more increased. Also replaced the death sound. The previous one was from the Nightelf Assassin, the current is the Bandit, as with all Haradrims. :wink:

Keywords:
Haradrim hero, Saracenian hero, Saracenian assassin, Human assassin, assassin, LOTR, Lord of the Rings
Contents

HaradrimAssassin (Model)

HaradrimAssassin (Model)

Reviews
10:55, 12th Feb 2014 MiniMage: Something about the head looks off, it needs some work. It doesn't need much, just a little tweak and I think it'll be approvable in terms of design. However, filesize wise, it needs to be lowered by a lot. It is far...

M

10:55, 12th Feb 2014
MiniMage: Something about the head looks off, it needs some work. It doesn't need much, just a little tweak and I think it'll be approvable in terms of design.
However, filesize wise, it needs to be lowered by a lot. It is far too big to be useful in its current stage.

23:47, 12th Feb 2014
MiniMage: Hmm.. You redesigned the head into more of a bandit. Most interesting choice. However, you still have a lot of filesize to cut down, it is still way too much.

22:53, 28th Feb 2014
MiniMage: The death sound effect is that of a woman. Was this intentionally? Setting it to needs fix until it has been clarified if it was a mistake or not. If it indeed is a mistake, fix it.

16:02, 5th Mar 2014
MiniMage: Changes made, approved.

Looks interesting. Just some things to improve: the shoulders seem a bit little, especially when the spell channeling animation occurs. Also the legs are a bit to large imo. You could slim them a little, after all this is an assassin, and needs to remain agile. Other than that it's cool. I'd give it a 3.9/5 or 4/5.
changed that. Thx for telling me. :grin: I stretched a bit the upper body and made the shoulders and the upper chest a bit broader. :wink:

something looks off to me, about that guy's head.. it feels kinda shapeless..
He? :eekani: Shapeless? :vw_wtf: ......it's just a modified version of the Haradrim Swordsman's headpiece. :vw_unimpressed:

well it just looks odd to me o_O it isn't that perfect fit like it is on the swordsman
OK......sounds a bit strange to me, coz the changes made when taking it from the Swordsman were minimal :eekani:

the screen shot makes the head look like it has a big red nose lol, at first I thought it was a sesame street character XD...
But it looks nice in game
Lol, sesame street character? :eekani: Hehe, ty :ogre_hurrhurr:

That head is huge... or the body is small? Or maybe it's just the headress making the head way too big. I'm not sure but I don't think it's going to be comfy for an assassin to have such a big head (or headress)
Well, while making it, i first thought of keeping the Swordsman's head as is, but then i thought it would be better to bring in more variation among my Haradrim collection. Will see, if more ppl complain about the head, I'll change it into a cape. :wink:

Cool! Dat Blade, can that cut me?
hehe, thx :ogre_haosis:

Great assassin! I think the only thing left to do - is to make shoulders more big.
Glad to hear that. :ogre_hurrhurr: In which way? Higher, broader or both?

It's hard to explain, but the whole thing just doesn't feel right. I wish I could point out how to fix it, but I'm not even sure what's wrong, I just know that it isn't right.

There is one small problem that I can identify, though, the one little thing I can point out to try to help you: The wrap on the face. There's a little black line down the middle. This sort of thing happens way more often than it should with too many people's models. I won't bother explaining how to fix it, because you've made lots and lots of models by now, and I'm sure you already know what you need to do.

Hopefully somebody will figure out how to advise you in fixing the overall style of the model in the future, I'm stumped as to what specifically could be done to improve its look while preserving its theme.

2/5. Quality-wise it's pretty much average and would have been a 3/5, but the file size is way too big; it's going to need to either look a lot better to justify the current 263 KB package, or fit into a much smaller box to justify the current look.

Edit: I'm raising my rating to a 3/5, the file size is much better now at 164 KB.

Last edited:
Better both. A little bit higher and a little bit broader.
O.K. The mod also talked with me about that model, so i think i will also change the head. :wink:

It's hard to explain, but the whole thing just doesn't feel right. I wish I could point out how to fix it, but I'm not even sure what's wrong, I just know that it isn't right.

There is one small problem that I can identify, though, the one little thing I can point out to try to help you: The wrap on the face. There's a little black line down the middle. This sort of thing happens way more often than it should with too many people's models. I won't bother explaining how to fix it, because you've made lots and lots of models by now, and I'm sure you already know what you need to do.

Hopefully somebody will figure out how to advise you in fixing the overall style of the model in the future, I'm stumped as to what specifically could be done to improve its look while preserving its theme.

2/5. Quality-wise it's pretty much average and would have been a 3/5, but the file size is way too big; it's going to need to either look a lot better to justify the current 263 KB package, or fit into a much smaller box to justify the current look.
A black line in the face? :eekani: that's strange i couldn't see any before i uploaded it....well, i guess it's a skinning matter. That's easily fixed though, and yes, it happens if certain parts of certain ingame models are used as is. Btw, is it @ the portrait or the actual model?
Yeah, i know. I guess i'll make some major changes next week (Thursday or wednesday) on it. I'm also thinking about changing the entire headpart, as there came some complaints about it. :vw_sad:

O.K. The mod also talked with me about that model, so i think i will also change the head. :wink:

A black line in the face? :eekani: that's strange i couldn't see any before i uploaded it....well, i guess it's a skinning matter. That's easily fixed though, and yes, it happens if certain parts of certain ingame models are used as is. Btw, is it @ the portrait or the actual model?
Yeah, i know. I guess i'll make some major changes next week (Thursday or wednesday) on it. I'm also thinking about changing the entire headpart, as there came some complaints about it. :vw_sad:

The line is very thin; it happens when your wrap is too close to the edge of a part of the texture. It's very easy to fix.

Looking good so far. A small part of his mouth veil clips through his head cloak when he has Stand anim. Now the head cloak you gave him looks great.
Edit: Yes, he looks really fitting for an assassin. The blades are a bit small in my opinion. That could be just my imagination :3
In the model or the portrait? :eekani: That must be fixed.
The blades are supposed to be daggers like this one. :wink:

hu.. I'd say this now looks pretty cool, head-wise.. but also it feels like it needs more to it.. it's kinda bland, y'know.. and could use something around his torso and back.. poncho? cloak?, armor? anything that can 'hang a bit' if you get me..
More to it? Aren't 248kb enough? :eekani: A poncho?? :vw_wtf: That would be a rly new style for assassins...... :grin: I intentionally left him little armos and no cloak as it would somewhat interfere from the physics and logic with the Demonhunter anims. Jumping and turning in the air while hitting a target would be very bothersome with a cloak, the cloak could even be hindrance in such a case. The same for the armor: the more one carries, the lesser possibilities and the speed of moves. :wink:

The head looks better, now, but the model as a whole still doesn't look right, it's missing something.
Maybe it's just unusual coz there aren't many assassins with mainly cloth armor. :wink:

:xxd: don't mind me then.

but you should take a look how it looks with optimization and linearized anims
Optimization from MDLVIS? Linearized anims? How can that be made? Oh, and do you maybe have an idea about how i can cut down the filesize a bit? It's still huge. :vw_sad:

In the model. It's just a small clipping.
Oh, shame! :eek: I think i should model more frequently. My skills obviously started rusting with the long breaks. :vw_sad:

It's much better now, I raised my rating to a 3/5 as its quality and file size are pretty much average now (average as in the average acceptable model to smoothly integrate into a game -- not average as in what the average person would create, because the average person isn't capable of creating an acceptable model).

I hope to see this improved more in the future.

Well the portrait model behaves good, the animations for it are smooth:)
The main model looks great, but it lack something. I would listen to Misha, some kind of cloth around his torso or a wrapping would do imo. Anyway the head cloak....well you've done a great job there.
I don't know about the cloak.....IMO it would be rather disturbing with such attack movements. :vw_sad:

It's much better now, I raised my rating to a 3/5 as its quality and file size are pretty much average now (average as in the average acceptable model to smoothly integrate into a game -- not average as in what the average person would create, because the average person isn't capable of creating an acceptable model).

I hope to see this improved more in the future.
Wow! The science of modeling and model creation, eh? :wink: I don't know.....i just don't like the idea of adding a cloak to a model that jumps while striking.....IMO this would be a roadblock in reality. :vw_sad:

Nice! I love Haradrim model :D
The Haradrim collection is nearly complete.....it just needs some more cavalry, 1 or 2 more heroes, 1 or 2 buildings and the Mumakil, ofc. :wink:

The head looks way better now uncle. GJ! ^^
Thx :ogre_haosis:

Wow! The science of modeling and model creation, eh? :wink: I don't know.....i just don't like the idea of adding a cloak to a model that jumps while striking.....IMO this would be a roadblock in reality. :vw_sad:

I never said anything about adding a cloak in my post which you were supposedly replying to, or any of my other posts either.

Uncle! I was a bit disappointed when it was removed, or was my imagination of being removed?!? Anyway it's still good, the file size is ok now.
It was never removed.....it was only in the "Needs fix" section for a while. :vw_sad:

Why don't you capture models while playing an animation
I do that here and then......but mostly not. :vw_sad:

Looks like a rogue wearing Wrathion's Gear
Who's Wrathion? :eekani:

That's not Wrathion's gear! And uncle please, could you give him some better daggers? Maybe a bit broader?!?
The anims are actually for daggers, not shortswords. I think the next bigger version of a blade-weapon would be a shortsword, considering the size. :vw_sad: