• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Halo-Team CTF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
I've seen only a few maps like Elimination Tournament and Counterstrike. Werewulf's amazing Halo models have inspired me to begin construction on my own version of a Halo CTF game. This is going to be my first ever map, but I'm excited about it. The layout of the map is going to be according to Blood Gulch, with all the weapons and power-ups you would expect. Wish me luck, I'll post screenshots soon.

Edit: I've started on the terrain, and guess what? NO BLIZZARD CLIFFS! The only exception is for the bases, because otherwise, how could I replicate them? With doodads?

Edit3: Lo' and behold, the REAL Blood Gulch! I think I did a good enough job to start working on the next phase: abilities and items/item placement, although I did ditch the little cave on the left, but that's ok for now.

Descriptions go in order from 1-5, as follows:
1: Master Chief takes sniping position in the cliff on the right side of Blood Gulch. Noobs beware!
2:Chief gets ready to run through the new improved tilesets and newly added doodads.
3:Master Chief rushes to the enemy base! Hopefully the noobs are on break and won't see him steal the imaginary flag.
4:Chief makes it out of the enemy base successfully, but what's this? NOOBS ARE ON HIS TAIL! RUN CHIEF! RUN!
5:Master Chief got a Multi-kill just as he reached his base and finished the fight.
6:Newly added shotgun spawn-spot, similar to the one in the real game.
7:An overview of the middle terrain, by the Red base.
8:A view of the shotgun spawn from the side.

I hope you enjoy, give me FEEDBACK.

Edit5: New screenshots, made the terrain with more of a "plains" theme in mind.

Edit6: The Equipment system is up and running. We are now ever closer to a closed Alpha. I just need to get a good multi/scoreboard system and balance abilities, and that's all folks!

Edit7: Alright, good news! Project is back on track. I've revamped the Leaderboard (as in changed it to a Multiboard), making the game a little bit more professional looking. Expect a beta VERY soon!

Edit8: Well guys, sad to say it, but my computer HAD to be reloaded. In the process all the data and hard work I put into this project was obliderated. Sadly, it is canceled.

Attachments

• Halo1.jpg
    Halo1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 770
  • Halo2.jpg
    Halo2.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 721
  • Halo3.jpg
    Halo3.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 726
  • Halo4.jpg
    Halo4.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 672
  • Halo5.jpg
    Halo5.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 683
  • Halo6.jpg
    Halo6.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 462
  • Halo7.jpg
    Halo7.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 402
  • Halo8.jpg
    Halo8.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
Level 15
What do you mean? I didn't say anything about triggers. They aren't that difficult, BTW. The shooting abilities are based off the Tauren Chieftain's ability or the Tinker's ability, forgot the names. The thing is, they will each (the weapons) have different triggered twists that their Halo counterparts have. Hopefully, I'll add in vehicles, but I'm still in the planning phase.

Level 4
good luck with it. First maps are problematic tho, from the p.o.v. that in making it you will more about map editing then you previously thought possible, which in turn can make you look at your original effort in disgust and either start again or just kill it altogether. Just stay focused and keep your original intentions in the back of your mind.

Oh, with shooting.... unless like it is a shotgun or something, dont use shockwave for shooting, especially long distances... it lags up like crazy. Just giving you a heads up on that lol

Level 4
I'm not exactly sure, I'm not an expert on it. I just know from previous experience that using shockwave over a long distance can create the chunkiest lag I have seen, no matter how small you make its area of effect.

I suggest you look up tutorials or find a map that already uses a similar system.

Also, to gain interest with your project during this planning phase, I suggest you start making a list of the important info surrounding this map in your first post, like potential weapons and their effects/uses... even a screenshot of the halo map you are planning to make. There are quite a few people interested in making a halo map so if you create a map development thread with an abundance of info, throw in a few screenshots of the kinds of things from halo you wish to include, and you will get alot of help and fans really quick.

Level 4
no, lol, I understand that :p what I meant was screenies of the actual halo game. Say you put up a picture of the 'Battle Creek' map you are basing it on (I assume that is the multiplayer maps name) that is like a map overview screen, you might get a good terrainer pming you and saying "I'd like to help and make that map".

Same thing goes for weapons. If you post up small screens of each weapon and say you don't have the models for some of them yet, or the projectiles or whatever, you might find people approaching you to say they have them already or they would be interested in making them. Saves you from having to request alot of stuff and waiting on the list to have it done.

Level 12
To make guns that realistically shoot, you need a hell lot more than shockwave. You have to make a unit to represent the bullet, and then make it so all of those units constantly move forward, and if they are close enough to the target, they are removed and the unit is damaged, if they are in the air to long, you have to remove them. So you make a spell that creates one of these bullets in front of the unit. I've done that before, that's really easy. That is just for a 2-d plane The hard part is making it 3-d and to be able to go over units heads. There is full 3-d in Elimination tournament. And that requires JASS, which is really hard to do. SO... do you think you can do all that?

Level 4
yeah I was about to mention earlier that you could do it via creating bullet units but then i realised that wouldn't that mean the bullets max speed is 522? Or does shift-clicking that constant actually work.... either way I don't think I would be able to make it work successfully.

If breath of fire works how they say it will, without lag, that's totally the way to go. You don't need hardcore jass triggered bullet systems if the core gameplay is fun, and War3 desperately needs a nice new capture the flag map.

It's surprising to know you already have all your resources, I thought there was alot of 'request model for halo' going on in the request forum. I took a look at the Battle Creek map on wikipedia, and to me it looks like there is alot of up and down levels as far as the bases go. I was thinking that if you go through with this and decide to make the bases using cliffs, maybe after you are done I could make a couple of doodad models to 'mask' the cliffs so it looked more similar to the actual bases in halo, like the big entrance and stuff.

Level 9
Ah, this map sounds promising, especially since you sound...I dunno, well presented?

Anyways, I wouldn't be against modeling a base for you. That way, you could walk ontop of that doodad and then if you hit the middle, you could move the unit to another area, and I could possibly help you make wall/ceiling models for that.

I really really like that you aren't using Blizzard cliffs though.
Good choice.

Level 15
I'd actually like some help. Although, I already used up the map area's edges for the cliffs (since every Halo map has them, and I switched to Blood Gulch instead of Battle Creek). If you want to get an idea of what the map looks like, I could link you to a wiki that has information about the map and pictures. So far, I've modeled one base, but it has no roof, and isn't much like the way the map is in the real Halo.

Here it is: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Blood_Gulch_(Level)

Alright, I'd like you two, ElectricSaiyan and MurderMode to help me with my map. Like I said before, I switched to Blood Gulch (which has the same idea, except no river and vehicles). But custom models and walk-insidable and stand-ontopable bases would be freakin' sweet. The only problem is that you'd need to look at it ingame to get an idea of what it's like. If you guys are up to it, we could download the trial version of Halo 1 and play a multiplayer match on that map just to let you see what it looks like... unless we could find a way to work around it.

By the way, I'm happy my idea is getting alot of attention! Thank you for your support, guys!

Level 15
Alright. Well, I'm almost done with my terrain, so screenies should come up shortly. I've done the following with it
-Used height variation
-Used realistic cliffs
-Used tile variation
-Did my best to replicate Blood Gulch's terrain
There are a few things missing, though. For one, the sniping spot mid-field, as well as the caves on the left of the map.

So, how do you feel about working together with me to help me breathe life into this project, ElectricSaiyan and MurderMode? I'd be interested in partnering up with you two. I'm no real terrainer, but I'm pretty good with basic triggers, and I'm good at writing and designing.

Level 9
Although I am familiar with most aspects of modding Warcraft, modeling and triggering are my strengths. I require time if I need to trigger because if it's something I haven't done before, I can work it out, but need time to be able to find what works.

As for modeling, I'm not too shabby, but building models would be simple :)

I'm interested for the screenshots soon!

Level 15
I have all the ones that Werewulf had made. She had fixed up her high-quality Master Chief model and re-released it with Human weapons and icons.

I ALSO have the Halo Main Theme and the Halo Mjolnir Mix in MP3 format, but I may not add either to the mix since it is too big of a size.

Ok, screenshots are ready, I've posted em' in the first post.

Last edited:
Level 4
The terrain is shaping up pretty well from the screen shots. It is a bit barren tho, but I mean so is halos map. I think you should use some artistic licence and doodad it up a bit with a couple of small sprouts of trees and some shrubs n what not. Also, I think you need to switch your tiles around a bit. If you have a look at the picture in the halo wiki, they have a bright orangey looking dirt covering the main areas, with an even brighter dirt for the paths near the base, and a darker dirt for the paths leading to the cliffs. You should try use some dirt tiles that kind of blend together, not ones with hard edges. Also, halo's grass areas are a bit bigger then your own.

But yeah, overall its a good attempt at recreating the map, the cliffs are nice and natural looking and so far what you have done with the base is pretty good. I think if you replace the outside walls with custom rounded doodads instead of cliff walls it'll look great.

I'll see about knocking those up for you soon if you want, but I won't be able to help you too much coz I'm tied down with my own project. Currently I'm making some 'cyberpunk' themed models to fit into kind of a fallout type setting :D

Last edited:
Level 12
Ahh, much better. It is very nice looking, but why are you using rock for the path across the valley? If you'd play blood gulch, it is most defiantly not the same skin as the cliffs. Try changing it to a rough dirt.
And perhaps your right, IDK, you can do some non-triggered guns if you really want, but also if you want, I could make it an actual trigger to make it look nicer, move faster, and be all together more realistic? If you want... If not, I'm interesting in how this map turn out, so expect constructive criticism!

Level 8
map sounds great! lol good job but i agree with the fact that you should use a model for a base...or atleast make coagulation not old blood gulch lol also i think in future versions with this map...you should just make team slayer or just slayer :) because that would be fun and entertaining.....if i ever time in my long list of models to do , ill help you with something :D

Level 15
I got more screenshots coming! Hold on a second, I just need to replace the old ones with the uber-new ones.

Edit: NEW SCREENSHOTS ARE HERE! WOOHOO! OH YEAH!

Level 15
FFS? You mean FPS? Nah, it's going to be overhead. First person arrow-key shooters on Warcraft III fail miserably. But thank you for the compliment, I tried hard. Note this is still WIP, but will remain the same until ElectricSaiyan makes me some Sci-Fi doodads for the bases.

Level 8
new pics looking sweet :D id still rather a model for the bases though lol give it more of the blood gulch look....also can you go through the mountains in this like in the real game? also some person (i keep forgetting his name) created Warsoc, which supports stuff like FPS lol but id rather third person for this lol and lets all bug ES till he makes them :D lol

Level 4
the new terrain shots are a massive improvement, it already screams halo just looking at it. nice work. It will be interesting to see if the tall grass can be used for stealth when it comes to gameplay

Level 4
I have a half-finsished map called Halo Party. I have it set up to do elimination, team king of the hill, capture the flag, juggernaut, slayer, and team slayer. I can copy/paste some of ther triggers if you would like to take a look at them.

Level 15
I have a half-finsished map called Halo Party. I have it set up to do elimination, team king of the hill, capture the flag, juggernaut, slayer, and team slayer. I can copy/paste some of ther triggers if you would like to take a look at them.

If you can, that would be nice. It would be awesome for Team King of the Hill, Team Slayer, and Capture the Flag would all be in the same map. If you let me see them, I'll credit you greatly, amongst Eccho (for his Energy Shield triggers).

@MurderMode: That is what they are meant for. In the original maps Blood Gulch and Congulation (forgot the spelling), people on the ground were sitting ducks and easy targets for the guy perched on the hill-top with the sniper-rifle. Here, it's going to be much harder since it is grassy all throughout. Of course, the Spartan models stand taller than the grass, but it will still be hard.

Good news! I've got the weapon equipment system working PERFECTLY. I just need to finish all the weapons and then I'll get right to the ability balancing!

Last edited:
Level 15
ElectricSaiyan, you just worry about getting the Warthog, Scorpion, Ghost, and base models done. The toughest part would probably be the scoreboard, but I think I can handle it. Oh, and thank you about the screenshots.

Edit: The open Beta will come after a (probably) closed Alpha, which will be available to only a few people (I don't want any idiots joining my game on B.net, see?). But probably it will be anyone who is interested in trying it out.

Level 3
i will be interested
i am always a Halo fan
for about 3 years and continuing
even on warcraft ^_^

EDIT:

maybe you should make a little remix
like every time you will some you get 1 gold (everytime you die u lose 2 golds; something like that)
and once u get a specific amount of gold you can call in air strike and shit like that
Hows that huh??

Level 15
Not to be rude, but double post. There is an edit button for a reason! But to answer your question, I will not add that. Infact, resources are rendered useless since weapons will be spread all throughout the ground, and a weapon strike would be, in itself, over-powered. There will be a more conventional score-board done with triggers, so don't worry.

Level 15
Good point, ElectricSaiyan. It just might be a little harder since it's not Team Slayer, but Capture the Flag.

Edit: Work on the base models first, then go to the vehicles. If this works, you'll be one of my right-hand testers!

Edit2: Bad news. The Weapon system is bugged. The triggers for replacing the unit are the only ones that work. The ones where the game is meant to give the unit the item that it manipulated doesn't work, no matter what I do. Any suggestions? ElectricSaiyan?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.