• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hall of the Greatest Modellers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I'd say Whitehorn for sure is a top contender. His models are always excellent, solid, and WC3 suited. He's an animation expert! Always helpin people and helpin the community.
Pheonix-IV is another that comes to mind. His work has really taken off as of late (Wow!) and not to mention his contributions to the group.
Urkdrengi is also exceptional in his modelling prowess. Nothing but quality original work from this fellow!
I know theres plenty of good modellers out there but these three stand out to me, You guys rock!

Ike

Ike

Level 4
Frostwolf's done some great geomerges, and Urkdrengi(?)'s models are great too.

Level 17
Yes I've done both. Slow first, then later now, quick. Meh, I always make models from scratch which I skin and animate 100% myself but none seems to care around here. The only stuff people like here are lame loading screen reskins and "Yet another modified orc model!"

Level 23
RightField said:
Yes I've done both. Slow first, then later now, quick. Meh, I always make models from scratch which I skin and animate 100% myself but none seems to care around here. The only stuff people like here are lame loading screen reskins and "Yet another modified orc model!"

The masses are ignorant. And please, don't judge the rest of us based upon experiences with the mindless 12-year old sheep herde.

Level 10
Maybe we could use some criteria for nominations here. All custom models are not created equal but none the less enhance warcraft and keep the one of the greatest games alive and kicking @$$. Besides a good idea is a good idea so yes maybe geomerges are the popular vote, but realize the few that know how hard it is to scratch build a model respect that effort. Besides some people here are just learning, and contribute the only thing they can.
Also, dont forget this is a community and 12 year olds or not we're all here to bask in warcrafty goodness ;)
Cheers

Level 25
Guess what? Mecheon puts his list in. And these are all for their models, not their geomerges. Anyone can make a geomerge

Xaren
Cookie
Tufy
John Drake
Rightfield
Alfred
Oinkerwinkle
Whitehorn
Andy
Killst4r
Sansui

I think there's some more, but its 1:49 PM and I've only been awake for an hour

Level 7
What’s wrong with a good geomerge - especially when many of the merged elements are made from scratch :)? Geomerging is a viable, EFFECTIVE and often time saving technique. The work of dudes like Oinkerwinkle is not all for naught. Isn’t the goal here to make models that people actually want to use in their maps?

I commend the scratch making effort. But the sad truth is I have yet to see a completely scratch modeled, skinned, and animated character model released to the public, which in turn meets or exceeds Blizzard quality (some ports may have fit this bill though, heh). You must remember that many of us here do not have the luxury of owning a professional 3d modeling package that is compatible with the art tools. Using 3rd party modeling programs can actually make things even more difficult in some cases. I feel this should be recognized.

Scratch made or no, what we’re all after is cool sh*t, and I shall continue to do my best to see to it that people have it.

-Urkdrengi (Defender of geomergers)

Level 10
Cheers Urkdrengi!
Great modellers in general is one thing (the hand-eye masters), but in a warcraft sense I think its about usefulness to the game and keeping the spirit alive.
Mecheon great list, checked out the work of most on the list and all top notch!

make sure you make room for me on there. im learining fast, as soon as know how to animate my own models. just 2 days ago i didnt lean crap about models. now i just made this, no simple geomerges in this one.
ss0000b2.jpg

its the banana who sings the peanutbutter jelly song!
jk i doubt that i will get as good as some other modelers out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.