• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gun Rights v. Gun Control | A look at the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
sorry for not being able to reply early for I was on vacation

What percentage of gun accidents and crimes are caused by "insane maniacs"?

this isn't about the percentages, that was an example. a very real example, unfortunately.

How did you manage to get caught before you even used it?

possible law enforcement.

"Hey, look at this cool new trench coat I bought. Double-breasted with 10 front buttons, and the lining is super soft against my naked chest. Did I mention I smuggled this .22 Rimfire last week?"

i do wonder. why would he want a gun IF the gun ban was imposed? lawbreaking? the idea of having a gun? self defense from other people who may or may not have their own? paranoia! how exciting.

Law is a deterrent at best. A promise of consequence. It doesn't smite the gunman in the act, it slaps him on the wrist after months worth of criminal procedures.

then you know what "deterrent" means. yes it won't stop the determined, analytical, planning gunman. but it's a discouragement to those who aren't. many don't have those traits.

i wouldn't go rob a bank with sticks and harsh language.

small-time petty crime. still possible but probably with less rates of homicide.
organized crime. homicide still possible. but more controllable.

guns. self defense for everybody. OH WAIT what if i'm in kindergarten I can't just wield a 9mm!

Level 5
Gun is not a tool like knife. It's a weapon, made with a sole purpose of taking a life. I could use my knife to cut food, guns are practically useless in daily life routine.

Unless, you're the freaking Punisher, then you'll probably cut your steak with a sub-machine gun.

Why are we worried about illegal gun owners when the law actually pass ? Of course, they're going to take into account of black market firearms providers.

I'm just saying that when the regulations come out first, the level of provisional enforcement will be considered in proportion to how accessible guns are. There'll be stragglers every now and then but the rate of death from small crimes will drop significantly.

Who'd want to be shot dead right behind the gas station's store counter for a few hundred dollars, right ?

ps. I'm kind of hungover, if I might sound a bit incoherent.

Level 16
possible law enforcement.

How would they know you had a gun without a search? And I'm definitely not going to forfeit my constitutional right to no unreasonable search and seizure so i can forfeit my other constitutional right.

i do wonder. why would he want a gun IF the gun ban was imposed? lawbreaking? the idea of having a gun? self defense from other people who may or may not have their own? paranoia! how exciting.

The same reason people would smoke Cuban cigars when there was an embargo against Cuba.

then you know what "deterrent" means. yes it won't stop the determined, analytical, planning gunman. but it's a discouragement to those who aren't. many don't have those traits.

i wouldn't go rob a bank with sticks and harsh language.

small-time petty crime. still possible but probably with less rates of homicide.
organized crime. homicide still possible. but more controllable.

It wouldn't stop the determined, analytical gunman, you're right. But then again how many shootings are committed in a moment of passionate rage? Shootings require planning, and a ban on guns is such a simple thing to overcome it wouldn't stop someone with a plan.

You can rob a bank with a knife, it [self=http://westport.dailyvoice.com/police-fire/westport-bank-robbed-knife-wielding-man]took not even a minute of looking to find an example within the last month[/self].

Of course homicide is committable with more tools than simply a firearm. Sure it would be harder to take a baseball bat to someones head rather than a gun but definitely do-able.

Yes. It would definitely help if at a mall shooting everyone could start spraying bullets in panic at each other. There's no chance it'd go to absolute chaos and there'd be 10x more victims.

A lot of pro-gun believers support having a trained and informed public. Free gun safety and handling classes would allow civilians to respond to crisis situations like that.

Gun is not a tool like knife. It's a weapon, made with a sole purpose of taking a life. I could use my knife to cut food, guns are practically useless in daily life routine.

Guns are used for sporting and entertainment.

Why are we worried about illegal gun owners when the law actually pass ? Of course, they're going to take into account of black market firearms providers.

Because criminals don't follow the laws. A ban on guns takes guns from the law abiding citizens, not the criminals.

I'm just saying that when the regulations come out first, the level of provisional enforcement will be considered in proportion to how accessible guns are. There'll be stragglers every now and then but the rate of death from small crimes will drop significantly.

Any kindof factual relation to how the deaths would drop? Any kind of proof? I'm genuinely interested.

Who'd want to be shot dead right behind the gas station's store counter for a few hundred dollars, right ?

A few hundred may be chump change to you, but it is a huge amount to others. For someone who just crossed the border, a few hundred may be enough to start a new life.

This discussion is on the wrong part of the spectrum. Does it matter if there's a law against or for something? Make sure people are educated well and make sure people come in less contact with an aggressive culture and you have this sorted out. It doesn't matter if there are gun rights or gun control, casaulities will always be there, the situation would probably just get different, as you cannot look at all the consequences of this. One example here is, drug legalization really only changes who profits from illegal trade, who wants to take drugs, he will, who doesn't, he won't.

But no.

People always think of consequences of laws. People don't kill or shoot other people because it's against the law or because the law allows that. People don't posses firearms or shoot because that's how the law is. People kill and shoot because they WANT to. Do you think a psycho really thinks about laws? If guns are unavailable, you can always strangle a person or take a knife. Gun laws do not change things at the core, they just trim some consequences off. The greatest mistake here is that people really seem to think that laws influence people more than the culture they live in, and I can tell you, 'culture' is a wide phenomenon. What are most video games about? Killing. The most music is about some form of rebellion, selfishness, etc. Your education system works in reverse. How do you really think then, that the form in which gun laws are - changes anything more than the culture all around you?

My opinion on this is that american culture has way more to do with shootings than does any law (unless it's a specific trademark of american culture).

Level 5
Any kind of factual relation to how the deaths would drop? Any kind of proof? I'm genuinely interested.

That's easy. According to a documentary (which the name eluded me at the moment), back in 2011, they cross references the number of gun-related death and amateur armed robbery.

Turned out, the number of death that was intentionally caused by guns were ..6, while other hundreds and hundreds of others are a mixture of self-defense and struggles between fights that escalate.

Guns are used for sporting and entertainment.

That's just taking another life that isn't human OR shooting at a human-shaped target.

Because criminals don't follow the laws. A ban on guns takes guns from the law abiding citizens, not the criminals.

What kind of criminal are you talking about ? Does some broke guy keep a gun because.. hey, I might just go rob someone later ?

No, the criminal you're referring to isn't a well-armed well-equipped gang members. You're also including a criminal-to-be, amateur robbers, pickpockets and general citizen who own guns. ..and no one initially wants to start robbing as a start of a life. That's like common sense.

Gun law doesn't take gun away from law abiding citizens. It takes guns away from both law abiding citizens and still-law abiding criminal to be.

Level 16
That's easy. According to a documentary (which the name eluded me at the moment), back in 2011, they cross references the number of gun-related death and amateur armed robbery.

Turned out, the number of death that was intentionally caused by guns were ..6, while other hundreds and hundreds of others are a mixture of self-defense and struggles between fights that escalate.

I saw this one study once that says that everyone who listens to jazz music has an incredibly high IQ. The name of the study eludes me right now, but I'm totally serious guys!

That's just taking another life that isn't human OR shooting at a human-shaped target.

You're a vegetarian right? Because eating meat is killing innocent animals, a life that isn't human.

Shooting guns is a sport. Ever heard of skeet shooting? It was in the Olympics.

What kind of criminal are you talking about ? Does some broke guy keep a gun because.. hey, I might just go rob someone later ?

No, the criminal you're referring to isn't a well-armed well-equipped gang members. You're also including a criminal-to-be, amateur robbers, pickpockets and general citizen who own guns. ..and no one initially wants to start robbing as a start of a life. That's like common sense.

Gun law doesn't take gun away from law abiding citizens. It takes guns away from both law abiding citizens and still-law abiding criminal to be.

How many gun crimes are committed by petty criminals who never re-offend, or never commit more serious crimes?

Level 5
Oh, don't give me that sport crap and try to make guns sound like a tool because it's not.

The first gunpowder was invented by the Chinese during some kind of siege when they realized its potential. The first usage of gunpowder was to create world's first flamethrower. The roots of gun was created to kill people, that is fact.

No human had trouble killing any kind of animal long before the first recorded civilization ever since we start sharpening rocks and sticks. So, again, don't give me that sport crap. You could try involving that shooting sport all you wish but the fact that gun is for killing remain. That's like the whole point of it being invented in the first place, they needed something that kill fast and efficient.

And back to that part where people said knife could also kill people, well shit. Guess what a knife was manufactured to do ?

..that's right. Cut food.

What about drugs ? or cars ? Same go for them, and any other products you could think of except firearms.

I'm saying that tools are often misused to kill people, that part is true but that is not what they were meant to do. They're meant to aid daily life, fix broken stuffs and improve the quality of life. Firearms are not.

Utilizing correctly, firearms provide you an instant killing of other human being.

This is why Gun Debate never progress far. People keep referring to guns as tools when they're not. Using arguments that ignore what the true purpose of firearm really is and we'll be stuck right where any other Gun debate ended up.

Now, there's that part about defensive usage of guns that piss me off.

Internet is a big place and so is the world of media, there're stories of how guns save lives and property and that's good. That's actually great! but then let's be logical than sentimental and compare the numbers of cases where guns are used to protect and where guns are used to take lives.

Do I have to bring in the numbers or we all know, deeply, that the numbers tip in favour of gun killing people ? well, I'm gonna post a pic with stats and credits anyway, cos the comment before me might doubt my credibility again.

800px-Ushomicidesbyweapon.svg.png

Taken from http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/homicide/weapons.cfm

Ok, here's the wiki links http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States

These numbers don't lie. Guns, especially, handguns have been one of the most used weapon in homocides.

Now, don't get me wrong. Guns might have save a lot of people but there's nothing defensive about guns and firearms. Wearing condoms is defensive. Wearing bulletproof-vest or riding in bullet-proof car is defensive. Shooting a gun is not. Despite the context, the statement "defensive use of firearms" is still very vague.

Lastly, the 2nd amendment. The right to arm bears and all that

armbears.jpg

...wait, that ain't right.

Ok, let me recite the 2nd amendment here before anyone start throwing 'MURICA related argument.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Many have argued that if you're not in the goddamn militia you shouldn't have a gun and it was so until THIS happened.

And i'm going to revised the word of Cody Johnston here

The Constitution is supposed to be amended. Not only that, it's supposed to be completely rewritten. Take it from Thomas Jefferson:

"Every constitution, then, and every law, naturally expires at the end of nineteen years. If it be enforced longer, it is an act of force, and not of right."

Our Constitution, of course, has not been rewritten in more than 200 years (read: ever). But people change, and nations change. Ideals and rights change.

Yes, life has changed but this over a century-old law is still crawling around in our mind, trying to justify holding weapons in a society where everyone want to live in relative safety. Does that make you feel in control ? and more powerful ?

How does that compare to that time when the 2nd Amendment was written ? When back then, firearms is a musket and fire about 2 to 3 rounds per minute, in proportion to how quickly you reload

....and now that an AK-47 in full automatic mode can fire off 100 rounds per minute and take less than 3 seconds to reload.

Think about it.

ps. Jazztastic, I'm not a vegan. I don't support killing animals but I still value human life more.

Level 3
^ Correct, and in other words, there is definitely a need for a change in the way you can acquire gun or simply put, some gun control is needed. Whether the type of weapon, e.g not automatic with 100 rounds/min or some other change or completely disallowing the use of fire guns by just anyone...

Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong, delusional and needs to be followed what he does with the gun one day, even if it requires brain implant to follow.

End of discussion by me.

....and now that an AK-47 in full automatic mode can fire off 100 rounds per minute and take less than 3 seconds to reload.
A stock standard AK-47 shoots 600 rounds/minute! However it is very true that many people and armed forces use rate reducers, because it's very hard to shoot only one bullet with an AK-47 in full auto mode and because of the tremendous recoil. So to add to dracemia's post, the bullet rain on the stock gun can include 6 times as many bullets.

The problem with this discussion is that it takes place in America, where the 'defensive strategy' usually includes 'invading other countries'. In a mentality of an average American, guns are dominantly a defensive weapon, no matter how weird it sounds to the rest of the world., and no matter what the statistics say.

Also, people trying to argue weapons should be allowed in certain ways due to sports are weird, to say the least. This is where the western concept of 'freedom' clashes the concept of 'rights'. What right is more important, the freedom to have arms and kill, or the right to live? If we could get rid of homicide completely by banning guns (perfect scenario) would people still vouch for guns because 'we' (actually, psychopaths) need them for sport?

Level 8
You can do sports with guns too weak to kill anyone as well. I completely agree that precision shooting can be fun; I've tried it using various air guns.

(in b4 people link an extreme edge-case of people getting killed by someone shooting through their eyeballs)

Level 16
Oh, don't give me that sport crap and try to make guns sound like a tool because it's not.

How is a gun anything but a tool? Simply because it's used to kill doesn't make it any less of a tool.

Better ban bow and arrows next. Those puppies aren't sport, they can kill, and also hunting is wrong and bad.

The first gunpowder was invented by the Chinese during some kind of siege when they realized its potential. The first usage of gunpowder was to create world's first flamethrower. The roots of gun was created to kill people, that is fact.

Gunpowder is not the root of the gun. The first prototype design of a gun was done by Da Vinci.

No human had trouble killing any kind of animal long before the first recorded civilization ever since we start sharpening rocks and sticks. So, again, don't give me that sport crap. You could try involving that shooting sport all you wish but the fact that gun is for killing remain. That's like the whole point of it being invented in the first place, they needed something that kill fast and efficient.

I'd like to see any modern human try to fight an enraged elephant, or a starved cheetah.

And back to that part where people said knife could also kill people, well shit. Guess what a knife was manufactured to do ?

Maybe kitchen knives. Some knives are designed with the sole purpose of taking lives. Do we ban those aswell?

I'm saying that tools are often misused to kill people, that part is true but that is not what they were meant to do. They're meant to aid daily life, fix broken stuffs and improve the quality of life. Firearms are not.

Nothing helps blow off some stress like going to the range with my father and blowing a box of ammo. It's a huge stress reliever for me. It serves a pretty important function in my daily life.

Utilizing correctly, firearms provide you an instant killing of other human being

Anyone who knows how to take a life would not use a firearm as the weapon of choice for domestic violence, if they were trying to desperately avoid detection. They're loud, easily traceable, and provide a false sense of security.

Know what else can instantly take a human life? Explosives. Homemade explosives are pretty easy to manufacture. Better ban those items from the gorcery store.

This is why Gun Debate never progress far. People keep referring to guns as tools when they're not. Using arguments that ignore what the true purpose of firearm really is and we'll be stuck right where any other Gun debate ended up.

We know what guns are used for. Seeing as the pro-gun advocates undoubtedely use firearms more than the anti-gun advocates, I'd warrant that we know far better than you, what guns are used for.

Now, there's that part about defensive usage of guns that piss me off.

If you were being shot at, would you rather have a gun or not have one?

Internet is a big place and so is the world of media, there're stories of how guns save lives and property and that's good. That's actually great! but then let's be logical than sentimental and compare the numbers of cases where guns are used to protect and where guns are used to take lives.

No matter what your viewpoint on any issue you can use the internet to find something supporting your side.

Taken from http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/homicide/weapons.cfm

Ok, here's the wiki links http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_vio..._United_States

These numbers don't lie. Guns, especially, handguns have been one of the most used weapon in homocides.

I'm not trying to deny that most homicides occur with handguns. But if you want to kill someone, do you think not having access to a gun would stop them?

Now, don't get me wrong. Guns might have save a lot of people but there's nothing defensive about guns and firearms. Wearing condoms is defensive. Wearing bulletproof-vest or riding in bullet-proof car is defensive. Shooting a gun is not. Despite the context, the statement "defensive use of firearms" is still very vague.

Ever heard of deterrence? It's the concept that you don't act, because you know that there are others who will do the same action to you. It kept the world from nuclear war for half a century. Same concept with guns.

Who would willingly pull a firearm and try to shoot in the mall if they knew there were 5 people within 50 feet of them who had a concealed carry?

Yes, life has changed but this over a century-old law is still crawling around in our mind, trying to justify holding weapons in a society where everyone want to live in relative safety. Does that make you feel in control ? and more powerful ?

You're right we should have none of the laws or ideals of our founding fathers. Freedom of speech is stupid I don't even know why we have it.

The founding fathers would have had to been idiots to not realize that firearms would increase in power. As with any technology it will progress towards efficiency. As with the rest of the laws of my great homeland, I'm pretty sure it was established to last thousands of years.

How does that compare to that time when the 2nd Amendment was written ? When back then, firearms is a musket and fire about 2 to 3 rounds per minute, in proportion to how quickly you reload

Back in a time when you could own cannons.

I'd like to see you reload any weapon in under 3 seconds.

ps. Jazztastic, I'm not a vegan. I don't support killing animals but I still value human life more.

So animals still have to be killed to feed you. You are just getting anal about it because a gun was used to kill the animal?

---------------

I completely understand where all the anti-gun advocates are coming from, however, I don't believe violent crime will decrease from a ban on weapons. There are thousands if not millions of unregistered weapons, and smuggling weapons into the U.S. is not a hard feat. By disarming the populace, you put the populace at risk from those who would seek to harm it.

Level 3
^ Same, it happens on other forums as well and it doesn't make that person any cooler or his counter-arguments any more valid, because I call this arguing for the sake of arguing.
----

@Jazztastic you cannot be comparing knives with guns and how a knife can be used for killing too. There are guns of mass murder and maybe that kind of guns need to be banned entirely, like the ones quoted with lots of rounds. It's for the same reason wny nuclears are not allowed.

Maybe they need to design a type of gun or pistol that cannot kill too many at a time and this to become the only allowed weapon for people. The current state and use of weapons by anyone is not justified.

Level 5
How is a gun anything but a tool? Simply because it's used to kill doesn't make it any less of a tool.

Better ban bow and arrows next. Those puppies aren't sport, they can kill, and also hunting is wrong and bad.

Did you

Gunpowder is not the root of the gun. The first prototype design of a gun was done by Da Vinci.

even read my...

I'd like to see any modern human try to fight an enraged elephant, or a starved cheetah.

wait..

Maybe kitchen knives. Some knives are designed with the sole purpose of taking lives. Do we ban those aswell?

what ?

Nothing helps blow off some stress like going to the range with my father and blowing a box of ammo. It's a huge stress reliever for me. It serves a pretty important function in my daily life.

We know what guns are used for. Seeing as the pro-gun advocates undoubtedely use firearms more than the anti-gun advocates, I'd warrant that we know far better than you, what guns are used for.

Ever heard of deterrence? It's the concept that you don't act, because you know that there are others who will do the same action to you. It kept the world from nuclear war for half a century. Same concept with guns.

Who would willingly pull a firearm and try to shoot in the mall if they knew there were 5 people within 50 feet of them who had a concealed carry?

You're right we should have none of the laws or ideals of our founding fathers. Freedom of speech is stupid I don't even know why we have it.

The founding fathers would have had to been idiots to not realize that firearms would increase in power. As with any technology it will progress towards efficiency. As with the rest of the laws of my great homeland, I'm pretty sure it was established to last thousands of years.

tumblr_m14facEEkc1qlrxk7o2_250.gif

tumblr_m14facEEkc1qlrxk7o3_250.gif

First of all, ad hominem and gish gallop.

Second of all, there're tribes in Africa as of right now, still hunting elephants with spears made of sticks and rocks.

Third of all, seriously tho. Did you even understand what I was trying to say ? because you just repeated every paragraphs I made with loads of fallacies and irrelevant attempt at responding.

Let me rephrase what I have already said in a simpler fashion.

Tools are used to achieve goals that aid in daily life, they fix, cut, move, contain, shape and fasten. Knife is no longer manufactured with the intention of being used as a weapon ever since the widespread usage of guns. Suffice to say that guns made melee-weapon obsolete in combat. Swords are now created to be antiques and aesthetic objects and to preserve the knowledge of creating them.

Weapons are used to kill, especially guns which was invented after the discovery of gunpowder's properties by the chinese, not Mr. Da Vinci.

Firearms were invented in the 12th century in China, after the Chinese had invented gunpowder in the 9th century. These inventions were later transmitted to the Middle East and to Europe. The direct ancestor of the firearm is the fire lance, a blackpowder-filled tube attached to the end of a spear and used as a flamethrower; shrapnel was sometimes placed in the barrel so that it would fly out together with the flames.
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun#History

Lastly, firing a gun to stop a gun from being fired is like ... waging a war for peace, or as the internet would say ..fucking for virginity.

edit:

So animals still have to be killed to feed you. You are just getting anal about it because a gun was used to kill the animal?

In this argument, I don't care if you shoot animal or raise them to be killed, I'm not a vegan or a fully devoted animal lover. I'm anal about it because instead of shooting at animal, humans are the the majority of bullets-recipient now a day. We barely shoot animals we eat anymore, most of them are farm-raised.

Level 7
Old western saying said:
God created men. Colonel Colt made them equal.
I am going point out a few weapons from the past and tell you why the do not encourage equality

Pikes, Spears, Halberds etc... these weapons require highly disciplined soldiers to function and are the best close ranged weaponnot including modern weapons for head to head warfare, but because they require constant drills etc.. to be a good weapon, they do not support equality. ( the constant drilling makes it impossible for it to be a weapon for revolt, you will be caught to easily)
Now lets talk about heavy swords, they require strength and a lot of training, so they too are out reach of the common folk.
Now the best sword the Rapiersaber comes fairly close this weapon requires a whole lot more training to become a good weapon then heavy swords do so again they too are worthless for encouraging equality.
Bows, Slings etc.. Require lots of training to become effective, and even once you learn how to use them you still need to practice constantly.

Now lets look at a weapon that anyone can become proficient(ie able to hit a man sized target at normal range) with in 3 hours, the crossbow. while more training makes one more effective it doesn't make as much of a difference. What happened to the crossbow in Europe? it was banned from everyone, even when it was no longer banned by papal decree it was still illegal for serfs to possess them, a sword in a peasants hand isn't dangerous.
Guns are like crossbows, only they are even easier to use.2
now a lot of people here are arguing about safety etc.. But is any amount of safety worth a loss of future security?security in your liberty 1 You might say this isn't infringing on my liberty at all, in fact it is increasing it by making me safer. Remember despots always try to control power(usually weapons, though not always), medieval Europe, China, Japan etc...

you could say I am paranoid2, I probably am, that doesn't make me less right.

1 They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania (1759)
2 you still need to practice a lot to be able to hit a bullseye, but, a human heart is a big target and if you use a machine gun accuracy doesn't matter too much.
3 "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." -- Wendell Phillips also this
But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing. It behooves you, therefore, to be watchful in your States as well as in the Federal Government." -- Andrew Jackson, Farewell Address, March 4, 1837

There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men.” -- Edmund Burke

edit my bro said I should put this, read aloud with russian accent for best effect "support Gun control its there to make safer, Comrade."

Last edited:
Level 5
You lost me at the word "despot"

I'm living in a country where democracy is as fake as nicki minaj's ass and monarch is secretly absolute.There was a huge soldiers vs. civilians unrest years ago, where troops line up and rain down AK-47 barrage on protesters carrying sticks and water bottles.

So....... you do sound a little paranoid in a country where you could literally sue a company for not explaining how to open a can of soup.

HappyTauren said:
The problem with this discussion is that it takes place in America, where the 'defensive strategy' usually includes 'invading other countries'. In a mentality of an average American, guns are dominantly a defensive weapon, no matter how weird it sounds to the rest of the world., and no matter what the statistics say.

This right here is extremely fascinating. I've never really look at this topic in this point of view before.

Level 14
I don't live in America, and I think of all ministers and other government officials as part of the population, so the "government could do this and that if we didn't have guns"-argument sounds strange and silly to me. Of course where I live there aren't so huge income gaps and officials aren't alienated from the rest of the population.

Level 7
In a mentality of an average American, guns are dominantly a defensive weapon,
wrong, in fact you are completly wrong on this point only in the eyes of 43% of americans are guns a defensive weapon in the eyes of 46% they are not.

no matter how weird it sounds to the rest of the world., and no matter what the statistics say.
statistically all muslims are terrorists, all americans are obese and the sky is bright yellow, that is when taking statiscts from the same place which you are ie non refrenced and made up on the spot.

I have some statics for you and I'll even give you refrences.
first refer to this1 population map of the USA(though you can look up any population map, I linked this one for ease of access)
now look at this map of mass shootings, look at the correlation of urban area's(deeper red = more population) and mass shootings(red spots on the second map). From this we can conclude that highly urbanized areas in the USA hold 90%+ of all of the USA mass murders since 1990. Now please consider that 29% of urban dwellers admit to owning guns, from this we can assume that there are less gun owners in urban areas(or at least legal gun owners) then in rural areas and yet despite this data there are more mass shootings (and more gun related homicdes) in areas that(from statistical data) hold less guns.
From this we can see that more gun ownership cannot possibly equate to more gun crime as the areas that have the least amount of admitted gun ownership have the most gun crimes, I will not say that gun ownership lessens gun crime because I lack a gun ownership map of the USA.2

1: I am using a population map as there is no gun ownership map that I can find and since only 29% of urban dwellers own guns I think it safe to assume that only 29% of the population in the red marked areas on the map own guns.
2: however I would like to point out that switzerland which has one of the highest precentage(please be aware that although the USA has a higher gun to Civi ratio only 40% of civilions own guns) of private gun owners in the world( not to mention the fact the the majority of said guns are assult rifles) I would like to point out that columbia has a very low amount of firearms, 5.9 for every hundred but it has a very high homcide rate, and 84% of said homicide are comited by gun.

Level 3
I liked the part where dracemia calls Jazztastic a retard and then accuses him of ad hominen.

Level 5
I've been pondering about this and I've realized something.

Among the "first world" countries where quality of life are greatly looks up to, the US of A is right up there on the list. A lot of people, me included, pictures the country being more "advance" in many aspects. That is why I personally feel as if these gun-related injuries and deaths could have been avoided in comparison to other countries on that ideal list.

I admit that this disappointment factor might have been affecting my argument quite a bit.

I can't help but wonder, why isn't there as much gun-related crimes in Europian countries as the US ?

I liked the part where dracemia calls Jazztastic a retard and then accuses him of ad hominem.

The gifs and the statement is only one line apart for a reason.

Level 11
I can't help but wonder, why isn't there as much gun-related crimes in Europian countries as the US ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Serbia, Switzerland and Finland are the top European countries to have gun related deaths and (as far as I know) they don't have the same gun restrictions like the other European countries. I'm not an expert on the gun laws of each individual country so I'm not gonna go in on each one.

The Kauhajoki school shooting that happened in Finland a couple of years ago was with licensed guns. (Or maybe it was the one before? So many things to keep track on here :p)
It was the Jokela school shooting that was with licensed guns. :p

Level 14
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Serbia, Switzerland and Finland are the top European countries to have gun related deaths and (as far as I know) they don't have the same gun restrictions like the other European countries. I'm not an expert on the gun laws of each individual country so I'm not gonna go in on each one.

The Kauhajoki school shooting that happened in Finland a couple of years ago was with licensed guns. (Or maybe it was the one before? So many things to keep track on here :p)
It was the Jokela school shooting that was with licensed guns. :p

Kauhajoki shooting was also made with legit gun. It's really sad that these horrible shootings which could be prevented by stricter gun control keep happening. Many of the recent shootings here have been done by mentally unstable people who've just snapped and went on a spree.

Level 11
Those people were even recognized for being mentally unstable too, Matti Juhani Saari got kicked out of the Finnish Armed Forces for being irresponsible with his service rifle and was seeing a psychologist for months and yet he was given a license. It is estimated that there are up to 56 firearms per 100 Finns in Finland.
Finland is also known for its alcohol problems so its not a good mix.

This link covers most gun politics in Europe and various other countries: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics

Serbia does have a very free gun policy. (The vid I posted earlier is from Serbia)

Switzerland lets the people have their service rifle at home since their national defense is based on militia.

I think its ridiculous to allow such free gun laws in Europe, the cold war is over (?) and people wont support an internal war. The only possible crisis that could erupt would be started by a group of people with inhuman reasons, and liberal gunlaws would only play their way. US gun politics are tricky to change because of multiply reasons but European laws should not.

Last edited:
Level 16
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tool

A gun is a tool. Simply because your definition of tool isn't everyone elses doesn't mean they're wrong. Weapons are tools.

What do you mean what?

Believe it or not some knives are manufactured to take lives.

The amount of training necessary for a person to use a weapon competantly is a lot. If you were thrown into a pit with a lion and you had a spear, I'd put my money on the lion instead of the concept artist. There's a reason technology evolved towards more lethal weapons.

Imagine this. 100 men with crude/primitive weapons against a mountain lion
100 men with modern firearms against a mountain lion

Which group of 100 men suffers more casualties? Which group of men could hunt a mountain lion every week to sustain itself? Which group would survive?

Maybe that will help clarify my point. To say no human had trouble killing animals is a ridiculous statement.

First of all, ad hominem and gish gallop.

So much irony.

Second of all, there're tribes in Africa as of right now, still hunting elephants with spears made of sticks and rocks

Yeah and how are they doing compared to the rest of the world?

Third of all, seriously tho. Did you even understand what I was trying to say ? because you just repeated every paragraphs I made with loads of fallacies and irrelevant attempt at responding.

It's called quoting, it helps you know specifically what I'm responding to, isntead of trying to freeball it and guess what I'm talking about.

Knife is no longer manufactured with the intention of being used as a weapon ever since the widespread usage of guns.

Man shut the fuck up. You actually are just making shit up.

Weapons are used to kill, especially guns which was invented after the discovery of gunpowder's properties by the chinese, not Mr. Da Vinci.

Gunpowder was first used in explosives. Lets cite wikipedia moar. allonthebandwagonforbanningplasticexplosives

Lastly, firing a gun to stop a gun from being fired is like ... waging a war for peace, or as the internet would say ..fucking for virginity.

It's called deterrence. The fact that this world isn't a nuclear wasteland has shown how effective it is.

I don't support killing animals

In this argument, I don't care if you shoot animal or raise them to be killed, I'm not a vegan or a fully devoted animal lover. I'm anal about it because instead of shooting at animal, humans are the the majority of bullets-recipient now a day. We barely shoot animals we eat anymore, most of them are farm-raised.

Man honestly you call me retarded but your statements are contradicting. On the topic of retardation please don't make fun of retards, it isn't cool and it actually makes you look like an asshole.

Its very close but they started counting from before the last bullet is shot, so it is possible to reload an AK47 in under 3 seconds if you exclude the last shot.

The difference is I said you. People without training are going to have a hard time reloading fast, and I doubt our friend here could even turn off the safety on a gun.

You lost me at the word "despot"

I'm living in a country where democracy is as fake as nicki minaj's ass and monarch is secretly absolute.There was a huge soldiers vs. civilians unrest years ago, where troops line up and rain down AK-47 barrage on protesters carrying sticks and water bottles.

I'm living in a country where democracy is as fake as nicki minaj's ass and monarch is secretly absolute.

as fake as nicki minaj's ass

loads of fallacies and irrelevant attempt at responding.

Lol

I don't live in America, and I think of all ministers and other government officials as part of the population, so the "government could do this and that if we didn't have guns"-argument sounds strange and silly to me. Of course where I live there aren't so huge income gaps and officials aren't alienated from the rest of the population.

As someone who doesn't live in America, and is offering their statement as I think, I'm really glad you're weighing in. Stereotypes, stereotypes for all!

This right here is extremely fascinating. I've never really look at this topic in this point of view before

I'm really glad someone has helped me look at this issue form a bigoted viewpoint. It's all about this American culture, that isn't stereotyping. All Americans think of guns this way because all Americans are alike. Lets just lump all Americans together. Americans believe in the "defensive strategy". Let me speak for the entire country full of 300 million voices

I've been pondering about this and I've realized something.

Among the "first world" countries where quality of life are greatly looks up to, the US of A is right up there on the list. A lot of people, me included, pictures the country being more "advance" in many aspects. That is why I personally feel as if these gun-related injuries and deaths could have been avoided in comparison to other countries on that ideal list.

This may be ad hominem, but your views on America are so inflated and warped by media that I really don't believe you should give your opinion. You basically admitted to having no idea what this country is like. Why do you think you can dick around in a countrys political system when you neither live there nor know the first thing about them? Why do you think you know what's better for me and the rest of my country, when I'm a native and you aren't?

Man not even two years and we've forgotten about the Norway shooting.

Check ElotheMan's list, since apparently you accept wiki's as valid sources.

Now I understand you like to lump my questions all together in one post and ignore them by focusing on minor details. Let me restate my previous questions in the hope of a serious answer.

But if you want to kill someone, do you think not having access to a gun would stop them?

Who would willingly pull a firearm and try to shoot in the mall if they knew there were 5 people within 50 feet of them who had a concealed carry

And lets make some extensions

Know what else can instantly take a human life? Explosives. Homemade explosives are pretty easy to manufacture. Better ban those items from the gorcery store.

Do you think we should implement a ban on everything needed to make homemade explosives? What will stop me from making a bomb in my garage?

If the laws are old and deprecated why do we still abide by them?

If owning cannons was legal back in the day, why do you think the founding fathers would change their opinion of everyone owning guns?

Level 14
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tool

A gun is a tool. Simply because your definition of tool isn't everyone elses doesn't mean they're wrong. Weapons are tools.

What do you mean what?

Believe it or not some knives are manufactured to take lives.

The amount of training necessary for a person to use a weapon competantly is a lot. If you were thrown into a pit with a lion and you had a spear, I'd put my money on the lion instead of the concept artist. There's a reason technology evolved towards more lethal weapons.

Imagine this. 100 men with crude/primitive weapons against a mountain lion
100 men with modern firearms against a mountain lion

Which group of 100 men suffers more casualties? Which group of men could hunt a mountain lion every week to sustain itself? Which group would survive?

Maybe that will help clarify my point. To say no human had trouble killing animals is a ridiculous statement.

So much irony.

Yeah and how are they doing compared to the rest of the world?

It's called quoting, it helps you know specifically what I'm responding to, isntead of trying to freeball it and guess what I'm talking about.

Man shut the fuck up. You actually are just making shit up.

Gunpowder was first used in explosives. Lets cite wikipedia moar. allonthebandwagonforbanningplasticexplosives

It's called deterrence. The fact that this world isn't a nuclear wasteland has shown how effective it is.

Man honestly you call me retarded but your statements are contradicting. On the topic of retardation please don't make fun of retards, it isn't cool and it actually makes you look like an asshole.

The difference is I said you. People without training are going to have a hard time reloading fast, and I doubt our friend here could even turn off the safety on a gun.

Lol

As someone who doesn't live in America, and is offering their statement as I think, I'm really glad you're weighing in. Stereotypes, stereotypes for all!

I'm really glad someone has helped me look at this issue form a bigoted viewpoint. It's all about this American culture, that isn't stereotyping. All Americans think of guns this way because all Americans are alike. Lets just lump all Americans together. Americans believe in the "defensive strategy". Let me speak for the entire country full of 300 million voices

This may be ad hominem, but your views on America are so inflated and warped by media that I really don't believe you should give your opinion. You basically admitted to having no idea what this country is like. Why do you think you can dick around in a countrys political system when you neither live there nor know the first thing about them? Why do you think you know what's better for me and the rest of my country, when I'm a native and you aren't?

Man not even two years and we've forgotten about the Norway shooting.

Check ElotheMan's list, since apparently you accept wiki's as valid sources.

Now I understand you like to lump my questions all together in one post and ignore them by focusing on minor details. Let me restate my previous questions in the hope of a serious answer.

And lets make some extensions

Do you think we should implement a ban on everything needed to make homemade explosives? What will stop me from making a bomb in my garage?

If the laws are old and deprecated why do we still abide by them?

If owning cannons was legal back in the day, why do you think the founding fathers would change their opinion of everyone owning guns?

Holy flying fuck, stop quoting the every goddamn sentence separately. It's such an asinine practice.

Level 5
Jazztastic, you've got to start forming a constructive argument with a main statement, reasons and evidence that support them and miscellaneous shits to be added on in a coherent order.

I don't want to derail the thread but this "quoting" sentence by sentence is like a very childish thing to do. Just because you could jab at every little sentence I made, doesn't make my whole point less true. It also make arguing in a civilized manner harder because when you start using profanity in an aggressive fashion that doesn't stand on any particular point.

I intentionally put the gifs that called your argument "retard" right above a statement that says you're using ad hominem and gish gallop and fallacies and the irony is on me? What? you can go back pages to quote one of my sentences to prove that it's contradictory but you can't check on your own to see if I was right about the ad hominem accusation ?

Allow me to pan out the actual irony here. Ad hominem is an attack on the individual involve in an argument on his characteristics that is not in anyway directly involve in the argument. the "retard" and "getting anal" are just heated expression (which you started, if we're being immature) and aren't actually ad hominem in a sense, although many people thought so. The one I called you out on is

Jazztastic said:

Also, the part where I explain my country and my view on animal killing have literally nothing to do with this argument, so those could be a form of ad hominem. I told Ender that I think he sound paranoid (a claim which he made himself) and gave him a reason why I thought so. I also admit that it was on my part that I felt disappointed in the US being a leading country but still stuck in a simple debate that directly involve public safety at large. That still have no relation to this argument rather than it was my motivation as to why I jumped into the argument. Jabbing at that is also another ad hominem.

Here's the thing, you can't put up a decent counter point and use small logical errors like the indifinite nouns that is absolute categorization. I have no idea what you're trying to get at, you were talking about guns as sports, which I counter-pointed by stating the true intention of it being invented. Then, you start talking about the 2nd amendment and laws. (or was it Ender?) Then, you start talking about how you pro-gun knows more about guns than anti-guns people.. or I don't know. That post literally composed of the definition of gish gallop argument, there were so many little things that could be your point but you did not develop any of them because you were busy correcting every little mistakes I made without understanding the whole point where they fit together ...and neither did you pick any point you'd focus on.

Now back to the argument, which I assume you still had no idea what I was trying to say when you asked questions about if we should ban a lot of stuffs in our grocery shopping list because they could be combined to make explosives.

To make it easier, this was my whole point
dracemia said:

Utilizing correctly, firearms provide you an instant killing of other human being.

Don't make guns sound like a tool that we use in daily life because they are not. Stop comparing them. Unless you cut your steak with a goddam submachien gun like the freaking Punisher, (I actually like this joke.) you alone might think that there're knives out there being made solely to take lives, for the sake of accuracy, you maybe right. But that doesn't make the very concept of modern knife any difference than a tool used to cut food.

And I must say that the "deterrence" point is rather far-fetched even if it's logically correct. Do you really think that the only reason the alternate world of Fallout haven't occur yet (All-out nuclear war) is because the countries are afraid that the other might retaliate with the same thing ?

Could it be that some leaders are actually humane and realize the potential damage it would befell the rest of the world tho ? They might be human enough to not try to take innocent lives over matters that would be trivial in comparison to the consequences, that's possible too, right ?

In the same sense with guns, could you pull a trigger that take another human's life from down the barrel of your gun?

Killing an actual human being isn't as easy as it sound in scientific theories. There're psychological complexion that human developed over the course of evolution that make us the most advanced species on the planet. The sense of relating to another of your species is part of the thing called "Humanity", it's the same reason why you feel slightly depress when someone close to you die or experience a calamity in anyway. It's also the same reason why even in a panicked state, a lot of criminals hesitate before shooting someone. (with the exception of hardened criminals)

ps. The last paragraph was a little off-topic in regard of the main argument but it was in reply to Jazztastic "deterrent" point. To keep the argument alive.

Don't try another ad hominem against me being a foreigner. I lived in the US for 4 years before moving to Canada. The only reason that I'm in this country now is because of family's matter. (I lived here the longest so, that make me asian in cultural sense. So, don't argue with me the first usage of gunpowder. I've seen one of the surviving world's first flamethrower in a museum that lie within my city's limit. One minute the people were saint-like and made fireworks for the joy of it ? then the next minute, people are inherently evil and will use a gun as soon as an opportunity arise ? C'mon man, be consistent. Do we stick to "people have common sense" or "let's be real, people are selfish" ? )

I don't claim to know about your country more than you but I did my homework and I came prepared. (I didn't really do the homework as in "I started researching all over the internet to win one debate" tho. I used some of these point somewhere else before, while some others are taken from various people)

Level 8

Also, the part where I explain my country and my view on animal killing have literally nothing to do with this argument, so those could be a form of ad hominem.

That would be a non sequiteur, actually.

Let's argue a fictional scenario. You are going to be attacked. You carry the same weapon (concealed carry is allowed in hypotheticland) as the attacker. Every other person carries that same weapon. Would you prefer a gun, or a knife? I think this is quite interesting, and these scenarios are a big part of what is debated here.

What would you like if you were alone?
What would you prefer in a crazy-guy-in-mall attack scenario?
What would be best if you are with a small group of friends?
Would banning combat knives have a positive or negative effect?

Level 5
Well, fictional scenarios usually don't work as well as you might hope. People have different views on many things, different backgrounds and different interpretation of things.

I mean, I would personally prefer a knife in a non-direct confrontation and everyone (me included) would choose a gun for tactical advantage in a face-to-face situation. Only if real life is as simple tho.

The range between two person could be vital as well. Hypothetically, if both combatants are amateurs, the one carrying a knife would be at a great advantage.. mostly because you have to learn how to use a gun, while knife... is for stabbing and believe it or not, gunshot on a non-vital part of the body isn't as painful as it sound. The area around the impact would be numbed for minutes while it aches on the muscle as if violently contracted. There's also the question of the kind of gun that is being used.

Also, Can we all just back up a bit and look at the name of the thread again ?
It's Gun Rights vs Gun Control, not gun Rights vs Gun Ban.

Level 8
Please note that I stated you would be taken unawares. Presumably this would mean you cannot draw your gun and/or knife before the attacker.

Level 16
Except that neither of those statements was ad hominem.

The first one was an opinion question. Would you rather have a a gun when you were being shot at, or not? The logic being that the gun would serve as a useful tool in crisis scenarios. I know that I would much rather have some way to defend myself than be a sitting duck on the firing range.

This prompts the question, why not take some other weapon along instead?
1) The firearm is easier to conceal than most other weapons
2) The weapons that are easier to conceal than a firearm would not be effective against a firearm (let's all be honest here, a man with a knife against a man with a gun, who would you put your money on?)
3) The firearm requires far less physical abilities in order to use effectively
4) The firearm can incapacitate or kill someone from a long range away. You could hypothetically take a crossbow or composite bow with you, but arguements 1 and 3, it is hard to conceal/take with you everywhere and it requires far more precision and training to use effectively.
5) Carrying a different weapon doesn't have the same psychological effect, at least not for me.

Let's talk about the other question you perceived as ad hominem.

"I would like to see you reload any firearm in under 3 seconds."

This was supposed to prove the point that the population at large could not reload a weapon nearly that fast. How many civilians have received enough firearm/military training in order to reload a firearm in 3 seconds? What about when you add in stress factors because of a violent or distraught situation? What about in warm weather when your hands are perspiring? There are tons of factors in play when in a crisis situation. Reloading a gun is a lot different when you're being shot at.

Dracemia you brought up the point "what if both people were amateurs?" The people who own firearms have most likely taken firearm classes, or are ex-military. You also have to factor in that people will go up to shooting ranges, or go and shoot the crap at the gunstore, or read magazines/internet articles/watch television about the subject. It's a hobby, and a sport, no matter how much you say it isn't. As with anything, the most informed and practiced people on the subject, will be the people who pursue the subject in a recreational or professional manner. How much can be said equally of the knife? I have no doubt there are niche groups with the sole purpose of sharing a wealth of information about knives and their uses, but it's nowhere close to the size of the gun community. I remember seeing the number of 4,100,000 on the nightly news a few nights ago, talking about NRA membership.

About that knife scenario, you aren't talking about defending yourself with a butterknife are you? Because knives aren't made with the purpose of taking lives, right?

Knife is no longer manufactured with the intention of being used as a weapon ever since the widespread usage of guns

Luckily the steak knife is as useful as the combat knife in the purpose of self-defense.

Now lets talk about your major point, as you yourself expressed it. Tools serve to aid daily life, and a gun is not a tool because its sole purpose is to take lives. I would like to argue that it isn't the sole purpose of the gun but we will move on for now.

You made the concession that tools are sometimes misused to kill people or commit crime. The view of most pro-gun advocates is that guns are being misused when shot at other humans. I would like to bring up some statistics for your viewing pleasure.

According to the [self=http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/homicide.htm]CDC website[/self], there were 11,493 gun homicides in the United States in 2009

According to a pro-gun website [self=http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/united-states]Gun Policy[/self], there are about 27,000,000 million firearms in the United States.

Bear with me, this is only the number of registered firearms in the United States. This doesn't include family heirlooms, or illegally owned firearms.

11,493/27,000,000=0.0004 ect.

For every 2,499 firearms in the United States, there is 1 homicide. That means there is a less than 0.001% rate of firearm misuse in the United States for homicide. The people committing the crimes involving firearms are a staggeringly small minority. Whether you view guns as a tool or not, the HUGE majority of gun owners are law abiding and do not commit crimes using firearms. These people are responsible firearm owners. Is it fair to punish a huge majority because less than 1% of the population is doing something wrong?

Guns may not be tools in the eyes of some, but that doesn't mean they aren't being used responsibily.

In response to other ad hominem attacks, I don't give a shit, nor do I care if they effect peoples view of me. You painted yourself as a foreigner. In order to make your testimony more convincing you should've painted yourself as someone with experience both living inside and outside the U.S., as it would have given us a broader perspective. And I will use profanity as much as I like, it's my fucking constitutional right.

Level 8
1. I have stated before that pellet guns can be used for sport just as well as a gun actually intended for defense can. I can say that this can be quite entertaining from personal experience. What's your take on that?

2. ~11000 gun homicides are about 11k too many. The question here is: how many lives could be saved if gun laws were tightened? We apparently have some basis for this reducing deaths in European countries if some post above me that I cba to find agrees with it. If, say, the current gun laws cause 1000 deaths per year, is this acceptable? That would be one-third of the body count of 9/11, for an amusing appeal to emotion.

Level 5
Jazztastic, first of all, thank you for forming paragraphs. So, I can understand a point clearly without going through lines and a huge loads of little things you had to say.

I still stand corrected on the "Guns are weapon and are used to kill/harm human being." and you listed my reasons yourself. Number 2 and 3 in particular.

Jazztastic said:
1) The firearm is easier to conceal than most other weapons
2) The weapons that are easier to conceal than a firearm would not be effective against a firearm (let's all be honest here, a man with a knife against a man with a gun, who would you put your money on?)
3) The firearm requires far less physical abilities in order to use effectively
4) The firearm can incapacitate or kill someone from a long range away. You could hypothetically take a crossbow or composite bow with you, but arguements 1 and 3, it is hard to conceal/take with you everywhere and it requires far more precision and training to use effectively.
Although, I believe there're laws against concealed weapons. Knife and bladed weapons in particular.

However, I conceded on the whole point of gun mis-usage by population at large because you provided me evidence that the majority of gun owners have not used their guns to commit homicides. As for gun community and sports, there's nothing illegal or morally wrong about them. Actually, they're as bad as violence video games and at the same time, as long as they realize the potential of guns and its capability and still manage to be responsible then I have no problem with that.

But even so, as you provided, How many 11,000 lives deserve to be killed ? How many could have been saved if they were simply stabbed by a combat knife ?

Now, I have nothing more worth saying on this topic because this is a Gun Rights vs Gun Control thread not Gun Rights vs Gun Ban. I do believe in more strict regulations as I've stated in my earlier posts and I never said we should stop using guns. Also, moving on in this topic for me would be completely opinionated argument, which I lack interests in. Mostly because I've never owned a gun or felt the need to own one even after personal experiences that I'll tell you all about in the next paragraph. (If anyone is interested in.)

I simply jumped in because a few people start referring to guns as entertainment and no matter how much you try to prove it a tool. You should realize that no other tool are being debated over like guns, and there're good reasons it is so.

Lastly, this is on a personal level where you said I painted myself a foreigner and should not have a place in this discussion.
I've lived in the US for 4 years, during which I've been involved in a shooting twice, once I was shot at. One of them I had no idea what was going on, another was a robbery. It was at a grocery store where I was deliberately shot at along with other shoppers by a robber with a magnum of some kind. I had to do the sensible thing and hide. The owner and the cashier was shot. The owner might have lived from his shoulder wound but the cashier bled out from her wound around the neck and died while waiting for an ambulance. She must have been a few years older than me.

Another incident was when a couple of man on a motorcycle drove by and shoot a guy right there on the road midday, I was walking with friends around 4 meters behind the victim. He died on the spot, being shot less that a foot away on the head.

As for the view from the outside, I was very young, barely able to walk around when this happened. I lost a family member during one of the militia vs. soldier session. Then, a few years ago this and this happened, where I was in the vicinity of the both events. (the pain of living close to a governmental HQ) Even if it wasn't shown in the Wiki page, it was gruesome.

I've never been to a shooting range or any hunting but what happened to me made me realize the true potential of guns, so much that it render your "sport" and "entertainment" very trivial. So many people died because someone had a battalion of gun-carrying troops instead of riot-police with batons or combat-knives even. I will not discuss what, how or why those events happened, it will derail the topic.

So, I think I have quite enough ideas of what I'm talking about whether you believe me or not. (Also, me being a foreigner doesn't make my point less true either way. I don't like accusing people of ad hominem but it's hard to avoid sometime. Notice how I never question if you could use a gun or have used a gun before ? Because it doesn't matter what you can do this discussion.)

Overall, as I've stated. I did not expect a first world country, where everyone should be living in a relative public safety, to have this kind of problems where a lot of innocent people die because a line of reasoning such as "hey, I have a gun. why not use it to shoot someone ?" or "They're not trustworthy, I'll shoot them before they shoot me."

ps. I'm not against profanity or the rights to use them. I'm just saying that it doesn't make you sound more convincing, that is all. To quote my exact on your profanity, I said
It also make arguing in a civilized manner harder because when you start using profanity in an aggressive fashion that doesn't stand on any particular point.

and

the "retard" and "getting anal" are just heated expression

I'll say this again; there's alot more to the gun debate than just 'ban or no ban?'. Guns don't cause crime, desperation does. Think any of the idiots that committed all those crimes would have done so if their families received some kind of help, or if they were properly educated? Do you think they could've even gotten their hands on guns, if the Americans were a less paranoid people that didn't insist on having a gun store on every corner for 'protection'?

Level 3
^ Yeah but if you are so desparate you wanna kill someone, if you don't have a gun it's safer, at least with a hand weapon you can be stopped a lot more, at least by police. And not end up being shot trying to hide due to range. Ofc, crossbows and all ranged weapons should undergo law change.

Very good points dracemia, I think your personal exp gives it clearly. In another forum ATS, I usually don't debate politics but this topic's sensitive and I can't grasp the need for a gun by Americans (in most cases they protect). In Europe a lot more robberies, especially in East Europe, and people deal w/o guns. If everybody started keeping guns at home, you know... someone will dare to use it.

I can't grasp how someone is fine and thinks it's ok everybody to have guns at home. So in that forum the 'conspiracy is' - the gov wants to take our guns, so we cannot defend... when they want ro you know.. do things with us/you the population. LOL

if they wanted to get rid of people they'd do it trhough chemical, and your weapon aint helpin

Level 25
What if we replaced all ammunition with rubber bullets like the riot police use?

Rubber bullets don't always stop people.

We've had some brutal strikes down here (South Africa) recently. In one case, police tried to disperse an illegal strike at a mine, but the miners armed themselves with traditional weapons (spears and such) and revolvers (taken from security guards they had killed in the week before), and charged the police. Rubber bullets and teargas were ineffective, so police had to open fire with live ammunition.

Level 14
You know what, just take guns and kill each other if you think using and possessing solves anything. This will do the world a favor.

I don't think your dislike towards material goods adds anything to the discussion.

I'll happily admit that I enjoy material goods very much, and I also think that anyone who disagrees is almost certainly a hypocrite.

Level 9
So many anti-gun people in this thread...

I grew up in rural Texas, still live there. Everyone I know owns several guns and carries on a daily basis. Crime rates here are very low and I honestly feel very safe and comfortable anywhere I go. I feel sorry for people in other parts of the world who have no access to firearms, they are very durable and useful investments.

Anyways, here's some good 'ol modern ranch pest control for your viewing pleasure.

Level 14
So many anti-gun people in this thread...

I grew up in rural Texas, still live there. Everyone I know owns several guns and carries on a daily basis. Crime rates here are very low and I honestly feel very safe and comfortable anywhere I go. I feel sorry for people in other parts of the world who have no access to firearms, they are very durable and useful investments.

Anyways, here's some good 'ol modern ranch pest control for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/jan/10/gun-crime-us-state#data
See the "data summary", Texas is the second one on the firearm murders.

Level 9
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/jan/10/gun-crime-us-state#data
See the "data summary", Texas is the second one on the firearm murders.
In terms of total number, sure, it's right behind California. Now, if you adjust it per capita, it looks quite different.
Note how Wyoming, Vermont and New Hampshire (three states with quite lax laws) are near or at the bottom of the list. And I'm not even getting into the drug/gang problem we have down here which is the #1 cause of these deaths.

Level 15
In terms of total number, sure, it's right behind California. Now, if you adjust it per capita, it looks quite different.
Note how Wyoming, Vermont and New Hampshire (three states with quite lax laws) are near or at the bottom of the list. And I'm not even getting into the drug/gang problem we have down here which is the #1 cause of these deaths.

Isn't the drug/gang problem exacerbated by ease of access to firearms?

Status
Not open for further replies.