• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Group Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Group Project - Need Triggerer/More

NEED TRIGGERER

We're about to or have restarted the project, it stopped due to too many interruptions and some members were rendered unable to carry on.

We mainly need a triggerer, and for some info;
==> We have no primary triggers yet
==> We're lacking active members
==> Triggerer is our main need, however we could do with some unit or hero makers with experiance and time

The replacement must have some form of experience and devoted to the project.

PM if you want to take part, and meet the 3rd '==>' requirements.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unlike others on these forums, i'm looking for a group of people to start a project from Scratch - the idea being what we choose. I been too lonely and every recruitment on the forums has been too 'simple', so i'd thought i'd set this up to bring people who want to start from scratch together. I prefer a group that manages within its own time bounds, which for me is Europe. It'd work best if we were all from the realm Notherend (Europe) but anyone is welcome but may struggle with timings ect. Im looking for around atleast 3 people, and im not really sure what the maximun is until i know how much interest there is in this.

When we discuss the map idea, we'll try and pick one which we all like, otherwise having people make something they don't like doesn't tend to work.

As far as i can see, there are multiple tasks in mapmaking - wether you solo
one, or take on multiple tasks with other people;
-The project Leader (Any willing people may take this on, but if none choose i will take it)

The next are main tasks, which you should focus in on, but must always be planned with the Project Leader or Group.

-Triggerer
-Unit Creation/Upgrades
-Hero/Item Creation
-Spell/Abilities/Buffs/Effect Creation
-Terrainer+Doodad/Destructible Creation (Optional)

The next are minor tasks, which can be multi-tasked and suggested to the group/leader. They are optional with your main.

-Unit Balance
-Spells/Abilities Balance
-Tooltip improvements
-Game Flow

That about rounds up the tasks (remember not all of them may apply to our map idea, and can be shared depending on the situation), anyone who wants to take part send me a PM or post a reply at this thread. If you're willing to join the project, tell me in the PM/reply your time zone and realm ect. This is a GROUP project, members must be trustworthy, reliable and active.

Please stay devoted too! I'll start rounding up members sometime soon!

Last edited:
Level 2
Im rather new at WC3 map-making, but i´ve played W3 for quite some time.

I work as an ActionScript junior programmer for a company that designs flash games, which gives me some experience with triggering and maybe JASS(if i have time to learn the darn language).

In the last few months I spent some time playing with the world editor, and started having some good ideas about maps and stuff, but dont have the time to get on with a project all by myself. If you dont mind having a newbie with you, I assure you I learn fast.

I´d be glad to help with whatever I can...but My guess is that my strong side will be at triggering and units/upgrades.

Level 2
Interested

This is exactly what I've been looking for. I've been attempting for a few months to get a project started but always seemed to flop on concept design. I am pretty good at all the aspects you described, except for terraining and balancing (not so good with math :eekani:)

The only problem is, I happen to live in the frozen wasteland of Northre- I mean, Canada. So that's what, a 6 hour time difference?

If you're interested, just reply here or PM me.

---
Jakebert

Level 13
The_Azor
Triggerer would be decent, although you said your inexperienced, can you cope with complex triggers? If so then that'd be great

Jakebert
6 Hour differance would make things difficult but is still compatible to some extent.

I'll be awaiting more interest before mobilizing the start

Level 9
Im on Northrend, and my time zone is GMT.
I'de be willing to do any triggering - but looks like all these guys wanna do that.
So i'm willing to give terraining a go.

Im also willing to project lead - my only issue is your guys low post count, I have a feeling some of you might drop out.

PM me :)

Level 2
Argentina´s timezone is GMT-3. Im in Northerend and US East servers.

Pick-a-chew, If you give me an example of what is a complex trigger for you, then Ill be able to answer your question more accurately...

As I said, Im rather new to World Editor, but I do know (and quite well) what a "for" is and what it does, same with boolean/numeric conditionals, datatypes, array handling, etc.

These are the tasks that interest me the most and would be happy to do, plus maybe Terraining (of which I know ZERO).

-Triggerer
-Unit Creation/Upgrades
-Terrainer+Doodad/Destructible Creation (Optional)
-Unit Balance

Im also good at organizing, so I could assist the project leader with some tasks.

Now about Grim_Labour´s post:

If you (Grim...) want to do triggering and are experienced, you can just do that and delegate some things on me so we can both do some multi-tasking. And about your worries, let me tell you that since I dont have a lot of free time, I would never waste it in joining projects that I won´t finish, so Im as serious about this as I am with my job. This is because I take it not as a passtime or hobbie, but as a chance to learn and get some game-making experience.

Cheers !

Last edited:
Level 2
The problem that I can see timezone wise is for group conversations in real time, so all our communications would have to be PM or email. (Unless I stay up really late). Apart from that, I see no problem.

As an extra credential, I should also mention that living in Canada, I am fluent in both English and French, and therefore, just in case you have trouble with tooltips and stuff, I can help out there.

Cheers,

Level 3
Hey, I'm kinda interested in this project. I don't have many maps finished, all the systems I put together end up being very arbitrary. Anyway, I will start school next spring and I feel like I should get something done before then. I've dabbled in most WC3 related modding; textures, triggers, terraining, writing, and whatever else I've missed. Jack of all trades, really. I would drop out if this took forever to get started, or if everyone else drops.

Canadian, speak english, perfectionist. So send me a message if you have some space to fill.

Level 13
Looks like we have some form of team, will be initializing soon! :p

Any more people that wanna join, you may post but a spot is not gaurenteed depending on our needs.

Task List (Red = Uncovered, Yellow = In Conflict, Green = Singled Taken)

-Triggerer (The_Azor, crazycoolcolin, (Gonepostal and Jakebert inprecise)
-Unit Creation/Upgrades (The_Azor) (Gonepostal and Jakebert inprecise)
-Hero/Item Creation (Crazycoolcolin, me) (Gonepostal and Jakebert inprecise)
-Spell/Abilities/Buffs/Effect Creation (Crazycoolcolin, me) (Gonepostal and Jakebert inprecise)
-Terrainer+Doodad/Destructible Creation (Optional) (Grim, The_Azor) (Gone Postal inprecise)

Minor Task.

-Unit Balance (The_Azor) (Gonepostal inprecise)
-Spells/Abilities Balance (Possibly me) (Gonepostal and Jakebert inprecise)
-Tooltip(ist) improvements (Crazycoolcolin) (Gonepostal and Jakebert inprecise)
-Game Flow (Gonepostal and Jakebert inprecise)

Last edited:
Level 9
Hey,
The Azor -> Right, I just hope you'll keep active if we are gunna work together.
Don't get me wrong - but the majority of new users might make a couple of posts then bugger off someplace else :p

Level 2
Fyi

Since recruiting is almost done, Ill give you all a short list of the maps I admire the most so you get to know my gaming side...I´d suggest you all did the same so we can all get a glimpse of other group member inclinations.

GEM TD : one of my favourites, Awesome replayability and great management of randomness. cool modes also. I love damage tests.

CASTLE FIGHT : another big one. very well done and generally balanced, except maybe with some special buildings, which aside from being OP or not, are very well designed and are innovative.

VILLAGE/MEDIAVAL BUILDERS: may not be as good as the prevoius two, but I really like the freedom they give you to play(until you discover a killer tactic or such)

ENFOS: one of the better hero designs EVER. those guys really put some effort on heros and spells.

ISLAND TROLL TRIBES: Very Very creative twist of gameplay and superbly done. I did find it a bit boring after a couple of weeks of playing every day.

EVOLUTION WARS: or was it bug wars? anyway, I played twice and enjoyed it quite a lot. also a nice fresh gameplay with new ideas.

I could go on and on, and maybe mention the superstar DOTA, the all-round-good ISLAND DEFENSE or the building-frenzy-prone FORTRESS SURVIVAL...But it would be tedious to read....

Cheers !

Level 9
The Azor -> we like similar games and your keeping active, thats good to hear :D
and thanks Hawking for relieving that possible issue from your experience.

Level 3
I'll try my best to stay active on the forums, lurker in rehabilitation after all. I'm mostly into role playing games and first person shooters, but I've got a varied collection. As for WC3:

card shuffle
Clever new way to disbatch your enemies. It takes from card games like MTG, but the play is quick, clean and the customization is really solid.

melody of dissonance
Igonre the lame title, this game gets the player into the story quickly. There aren't too many spells to consider, so the player doesn't get overwhelmed while the game progresses. It totally drops the ball on story in the end, though.

gauntlet arcade
Just a good take of a classic.

ice trolls
Initially it was sort of unrefined, but it combined a builder with action and strategy. The strategy and fear of discovery were excellent. Almost every game a bear spawned at the camp site, but that kind of uncertainty was thrilling. Again, it dropped the ball when more classes and that totem were added.

metal marines
Haven't played in quite a while. Solid action, requires strategy and teamwork; it worked.

hero rpg
Turn based combat has never been done so well in the WC3 engine. Add a decent story and good dialogue, it couldn't get better. Intense yet understandable statistics and inventory rounded out the game; it plays like a completely un-WC3 game.

It's getting too long, so I won't mention battleships and kingdom of kaliron. I could go on and on, but I'll let someone else post something.

Level 13
I just sent you all a message, didn't see this but it was asking for the map-type you'd like to say.

We have 6 members (including me) confirmed, they are
-Gonepostal
-The_Azor
-Grim_Labour
-crazycoolcolin
-jakebert
-pick-a-chew

Try and keep in touch in the week, communcation will be important

Also for other viewers-
MEMBERSHIP IS LOOKING RATHER FAT AT THE MOMENT, I WON'T BE ACCEPTING ANYMORE OTHER THAN REPLACEMENTS (which hopefully we won't need!)

Level 9
Sweet, ok.
Now everyone needs to vote on ONE type of map we should make :)

Level 3
Types of games i wouldn't mind working on:
(in no particular order)

-Mini Game, like pyramid escape.

-Hero Defense, like enfos.

-Survival, like notd, swat aftermath.... because they require good teamwork.

-Hero Arena, like requiem of the gods.

-Tag, like vampirism, kodo tag and fortress survival is a tag i think. (it's not, but i like it)

-RTS, I always thought it'd be cool to make a different rts out of w3. Like change functions of buildings, add buildings, make new abilities, unit types, I think that would be sweet.

Game types I don't hate, but would prefer one of the ones above:

-RPG, boring to make, theres about a million rpg's and and only few get played often.
they would require a GREAT amount of work and time required if we'd want to compare.

-TD, again there's a lot of td's.

-AOS, I wouldn't mind so much a AOS, but i mean the only one one i ever see hosted is DOTA...

Level 2
In order of preference, here's my top 5:

1. Hero Survival
2. TD
3. AoS
tied 3. Hero Siege
4. Arena

Anything else is OK too.

I don't really have any really good ideas, I had a really random storyline that could work for basing a Hero Survival off but it's really random and kindof lame.

Dr. [villain name] has escaped from his fairy tale in order to take over the world. In desperation, Randalf the Wise, Earth's leading wizard, has summoned all the other fairy tale creatures to help him return [villain] to his story. Includes such heroes as Little Bo Peep (she shoots sheep), Tinkerbell, and Jack and Jill.

Level 3
Ha, good stuff. Love the 'lame' idea. For serious; I pitched something like that in my portfolio for school.

Even though I'm pretty big on the RPGs, I agree that another one would crowd an already crowded supply. I'm not really into the Hero survival, defense, mindless slaughtering, but I'm sure we could do something fun with it.

In the ancient .txt of my ideas, I've got one that I think would be fun and challenging to make. It is roughly an RTS, but without the mindless slaughtering of your enemies; you have a short list (5-8?) of objectives (worth points for difficulty) to complete during an 'age'. Things like assassinating a diplomat, mass exodus, capturing key towns, etc. Your enemies have similar but opposing objectives, and whoever has the most points at the end of three 'ages' wins.

My only fear for this idea is that it would be too complex for DOTA-craving masses on b-net. Tweaks, fixes and general manipulation is welcome, of course.

Summary
1. ?? not sold on anything yet
2. RTS of some kind
3. hero...something

Level 2
I actually have an idea which I think is pretty nice...I wont post it here for obvious reasons, but in case we choose a map type that can apply it, we´ll discuss that by mail or PM´s.

Anyway...Im leaving here the list o´the stuff i´d like to work on:

1: Tag/defense map.

2: anything else..im quite open to working on anything.

3rd and last: I´d hate working on an AOS map, only Blizzard can compete with DOTA.

Cheers!

Level 2
I agree. We probably can't compete on the AoS side, and RPG's: unless we make a REALLY good one, it'll just get washed away in the tide of mediocre maps.

Level 9
Right, well I've taken your top choices (or what I thought were you top choices).
Seems that we are all split :p

Here is what I think:
If we were to do a Hero Survival, Unit Creators have a tough job of seriously balancing units as well as the many custom hero abilities we might need.
I don't mind doing this, but can our unit balancer/editor please tell me whether or not they would be willing to put in the most work?

If we were to do an RTS then we need something unique from wc3. Possibly making an age of empires rts or something...?

A Minigame would probably be quicker to make and be the best choice for a group project first. Then again, everyone would need to decide on what type of minigame (unless you make loads).

A few more suggestions:
A Castle Defence/Assualt (such as helms deep or minas tirith).
I personally enjoy these but I understand many others don't.

A Risk:
Risk would be my ideal choice by far. This time I believe terrain and unit editors recieve an almost equal job where as our many triggers would be able to balance out the work load of triggers.
The only issue with risk I feel is what map to base it on?
Apart fom one ancient world risk... there isn't actually a decent sized world map for risk. (You could even do a moden day version with tanks etc).
So my vote will go to RISK :D

Finally another idea is that of War of the lost kingdoms (originally created by King_leopold). A WoW or Middle-earth version would be brilliant but sadly I'm not sure whether you guys have played this game.

Anyway, those are a few ideas and ideas/issues about the games.

Level 13
I know Grim has a rough idea of what we want, but i'll make a quick point chart of what we have to get a clearer image :p
(+1 for like, -1 for dislike, 0 for non-chosen)

Minigame based: 1
Hero Defense/Survival based: 3
Survival based (might go in other catagories): 2
(Hero) Arena: 2
Tag Based: 2
RTS Based : 1
Hero Siege Based: 1
Risk: 1
TD: 2
RPG: 0
AOS: -1

Catorgories in red are in dislike of other people, we'll try avoid using basing our map on these otherwise we'll have unhappy mapmakers :sad:

(Gonepostal's data is not added)

Whilst here, i'll post what i'd like to do - since i'll like to do heros and spells, anything with that really. (Which could really go in anything :p)
-Herodefnse
-TD
-Minigame

As it stands, Hero Survival/Defense based map has the higher score, however i haven't put in Gonepostal's data as i can't really, understand it? :eekani:
Also i did this quickly, so it could be a bit incorrect, but definately as it stands - Hero Survival is first ^_^

Level 2
I have an alternative suggestion that considers the most voted modes:

The Idea would be based on a defense map, Fortress Survival stile-ish, and combined with a hero arena of sorts.

You start in a pre-made fortress, building units and defense. You are attacked by various waves of creeps and have to resist attack for avoiding defeat.

On the other hand, between each wave the enemy attack pauses and you have to advance through another part of the map with your heros to defeat the enemy and achieve vidtory...this would be of course a player-vs-computer based game, and might be quite tough to make.

I have another cool idea(based on mor PVP action) but that one is going through PM.

Level 13
Remember, just because Hero Defense has the most votes now doesnt mean we're doing it completely - i still haven't put in somone's dis/likes.

The ideas are what we can Base the maps on, if i say Hero Defense and you instantly think Enfo then you're thinking too small.

You know when you crossbreed stuff, like dogs and sometimes you end up with nice results :cool:, but on the otherhand you could end up with a mutant thing :hohum:.

As an example, you could make a Hero Defense that has aspects of Mini-games in or a TD Survival! An example of a mutant breed would be something like TD and Tag, which would be a new concept but highly unlikely to be good and end up a bit deformed.

Even thinking big in one maptype can expand it into very clever and new concepts, if you look at Wc3 now you see lots of maps are based on something. But mostly the successful maps either use their map-type to the full or have expanded into something else.

Gonepostal;
Survival - You have to survive, this can get mixed inbetween Defense but normally in Survival, if your hero/leader or whatever dies you lose or sitout for the rest of the game
Arena - Its like where 2+ teams of heroes (or other things) fight eachother to the death to succeed a kill limit. Pudgewars is like an arena, but Arenas are normally Big. (I think thats what they are, not a fan of arenas!)
Defense - You have to defend something from something (Like enfos, heroes defend their lives from the monsters)

Last edited:
Level 2
I think we could do a really good Hero Survival, e.g.
you pick a hero (and we can make LOTS of unique heroes)
you all go in an arena.
waves of creeps spawn
you fight them
in between, you buy items

and we could have different game modes like that one above, and the free for all, etc...

I haven't fully read the thread, but I would like to join this if there is still some positions open. I am very experienced with Warcraft modding and I have released around 15 maps or so over the years. My best skill is terraining, besides from that I do a decent job of everything else from leading to modeling, skining, icon creation, triggering and what else needs to be done.

I would like to apply mainly as a terrainer and secondly as a modeler if needed for specific tasks where there is no models to be found online. However I do not animate for Warcraft as is, so it'll have to be "dead" objects. I can work with both using in-game or creating my own skins for the models. I can also help out with various other tasks, but terraining would be my main thing.

Level 9
Ragingspeedhorn, a few points:

1) Firstly, you have the worlds BEST signature *drools*
2) I'm amazed someone of your experience is willing to join :O
3) Count yourself In, If you'de be willing to, I'de prefer you to help lead the team.

Please register at: Wc3 Project :: Index :D
Thanks for getting in contact :D

Level 13
MEMBER SLOT OPEN

There is now one slot open for membership in this project, Grim had to leave for academic reasons and no longer can be a part of the project.

The project is still reasonably undevolped due uphold and delay on Terrain/Triggers, which are now hopefully being resolved sometime soon.

The map theme now currently is a Hero Defense based map, with 2 teams that defend waves of monsters. To make it more unique, there are minigames that can reward you points which are used to sabotage or help teams.

Grim's spot was Triggering, but i think with Raging's experience we shouldn't need a replacement.

The replacement person doesn't particulary have a major part, as all parts are currently covered by another memeber. How ever in preferal, it'd be best if the Replacement was a hero maker as the hero making is going slow.

The replacement must have some form of experience and devoted to the project.

PM if you want to take part.

Level 6
"A Risk:
Risk would be my ideal choice by far. This time I believe terrain and unit editors recieve an almost equal job where as our many triggers would be able to balance out the work load of triggers.
The only issue with risk I feel is what map to base it on?
Apart fom one ancient world risk... there isn't actually a decent sized world map for risk. (You could even do a moden day version with tanks etc).
So my vote will go to RISK :D" = Modern Warfare.

anyway, you dont need to reply anymore to me. i got a project going on.
Have a nice day! :)

Level 13
Sadly the project has been going into decline; as it's of near the end of the year we've had one member go off for academic studies and now we've lost our main triggerer.

The project at the moment is inactive, however i intend to restart it sometime soon.

Right now we could do atleast with a triggerer, PM if you want more info.

You can ask if there are any other oppertunities up, just ask and i'll expore what we have and what we dont have.

Don't expect immediate action if you do join.

You can check the link somewhere in this thread to our site, which has bear minimun on as i've hidden all the swapping content to prevent theft whilst we hibernate.

Poke me if you must!

Level 4
Good evening... i am not sure if i read this write but it sounded like you needed some project management?

if that is the case then i would love to help. Project management is my main ability, i am a games design student and am currently project manager of a large game we are making for a competition. Any way, i am really getting into the warcraft 3 map making community and am looking for a few projects or groups i can join to build up my reputation as a strong project manager for map making. I have a strong understanding of triggering as well as a decent ability to terrain. When i am not managing a project i am either story writing or lore creating for games and maps.

any way i feel i would be quite valuable to your team should you need me.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Adzy

Status
Not open for further replies.