• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Groovy Animators Contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
The Groovy Animator contest is for those typically obsessed with CG animation! Here's the idea:

The contest is open for all those who want to join. We [hive workshop] will give the static (un-animated) boring models. All you have to do is download the attached models, and work on them!

You have to make the coolest animations on the units (i.e. make a villager dance, or do the bunny hop, or make a spellbreaker do the matrix fly, its all up to you). The contest depends on the following criteria:

-Quality of Animation:spell_breaker:
-Animation Smoothness:pal:
-Mesh Overlacing/Interlacing:witch_doc_sad:
-Bone Flexibility:infl_thumbs_up:
-and lastly, guts!:grin:

Level 23
So what, you have a model that needs animated, but nobody will answer your request, so you host a contest -- but leave it open enough to be just about plausible?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there are only about three animators active here -- that simply isn't enough for a contest.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

I'd love to run it, as long as I can enter as well. I've been itching for one of these forever.

Level 21
erm... how would this possibly lean on the edge of a request scam? He's not like "OMG ANIMATE THIS MODEL!!!!" He's just listing off examples of what we could do/animate (spell breaker, villager) I guess suggesting that we could use in-game models, not saying "MAKE TEH VILLAGER DANCE... NOW!!!" And he means all the un-animated models in general I think

It doesnt look like hes trying to get his model animated at all, he didnt say anything about even being a spific model, and besides he would be hosting to somebody like chriz would...

Let's see who could enter:
Chriz., TDR, jigrael, ... and maybe Illidan(Evil)X and Whitehorn. Others are light years away from them.

How about RDZ?

Level 3
Okay for all of those who just want to insult me for my idea, go ahead. But I'll tell you one thing--- I'm not asking anybody to animate any of my models, as I have said, if the contest is accepted, HiveWorkshop will provide the models for the animators to animate. On the other hand, I'm not the one to provide the models. After all, if I wanted any model animated, I'll do that myself. I've been working with the 3DMAX and Anim8tor for 3 years now. So sorry to burst your bubble, but my idea is honest and not a petty request scam. For WILLTHEALMIGHTY if you doubt I am honest, then we should talk 1on1 someday. (your comments are inappropriate and flame the viewers. Especially me.:wink:)

If people don't finish projects in modelling contests because of animation, they won't even bother entering this contest.

And we'd need actual unanimated models, from different requesters and the like, because reanimating actual wc3 models is just plain useless. Not that this is a problem, though.

And sorry for assuming so much, but most "animating contests" are request scams, and this one didn't sound that much different.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

I already suggested this idea a while ago, and I really like it.

We take one hero or big unit from each major race (Shadow Hunter, Tauren Chieftain, Paladin, Blademaster, Dreadlord, Illidan, Malfurion etc.), unanimate them so they are just a rigged model, and people can animate a dance for them however they like.

I personally would make an entire animation set, each one being one of the dances from "The Evolution of Dance", that would be good fun.

Animating a dancing wc3 unit might be useless to some, but others might like it for gag maps, fun maps, or even those big rpgs which would appreciate the "Dance" emote.

The only problem I see is the amount of animators on this site. I think if I got 6 people to say "I'm in" then I would go through and host this.

I'll start then: I'm in.

The reason why so few people do not know to animate is solely because very few users own max 5 with art tools which is only decent program to animate.

For me, for example, animating is not that hard, it takes some time, but I can get job done, while I have huge trouble making particles and textures, also the mesh is not an easy job for me. And I doubt I am the only case.

Chriz.: I do not really like the dance idea

Level 23
Okay for all of those who just want to insult me for my idea, go ahead. But I'll tell you one thing--- I'm not asking anybody to animate any of my models, as I have said, if the contest is accepted, HiveWorkshop will provide the models for the animators to animate. On the other hand, I'm not the one to provide the models. After all, if I wanted any model animated, I'll do that myself. I've been working with the 3DMAX and Anim8tor for 3 years now. So sorry to burst your bubble, but my idea is honest and not a petty request scam.
Well excuse me for not knowing your entire life history, which you failed to mention in the first post; which is, to my eyes, laid out much as a scammer would lay it. A little more thought for presentation and a few less emoticons might have lad to a more reasonable response.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

That's...four? Keep them coming.

This kind of contest is not the best idea. First of all, all animations should be done from scratch as few importers allow only to add few animations to existing ones and even they are buggy. Second, should be the model the same for all? If so, then the we will be getting too similar animations when only the best would be actually useful. If there would be different models it could be difficult to judge.

Level 35
This is somewhat off, but what about a campaign screen?
If not, for the model animate, I think we should choose something with a lot of potential, nothing like a peasant.
--donut3.5--

ya.. a hunter (the orc hero) could be used...

MecMan: Isnt the idea modelling a empty model from shratch?
The model could be the same for all as it is the most creative who would win then.
Making differnt models.. yes makes hard to judge, but well then the anims is what matter, so if you lets say chosed a peasant and made him and anim where he is making karate, it might look a little dumb with a pickthing in hios hand. While the blademaster or similar would appear okay with karate animations. So would be able to judge too, even with differnt models.

But thats all up to Chriz

Level 3
Okay, thats 5 people already. Keep them comin' eh?

@mechman: that's why its called contest. the most creative wins. and if the handpick in the model of the peasant is bothering you about the karate chop (seriously:wink:), animators could remove that if they want as long as they do not change the model completely.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

I really don't feel the need to wait for this one, I'm anxious. Blech.

Status
Not open for further replies.