• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Animation contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know very few of THW modellers like to animate, but I personally love it, and I think it would be nice if we had an animation contest... in the past seems like they used to fail, probably because it was hard to have access to a fancy and usable rig and this would end up being unfair to some that couldn't get it. But if we provide the ms3d, gmax and max rigged scenes with provided models, we could get more people interested.... :)

Suggestions are welcome

(these may sound ridiculous, but they may be a funny contest, and they are what I could think up or what previous brainstorming put out)

- Drunk animations - convert a unit's set of anims to as if they were drunk
- Gay animtions lol - convert a masculine unit's anims to the happiest and gayest possible
- Acrobatic animations - make a unit jump and twist while executing their anims
- Zombie animations - make an unit act as if it was a zombie kind of itself
- Dumb animations - make an unit look dumb, doing things the wrong way/harder way
- Dance animations - make an unit dance (they had this in the past, had too few contestants... :/)
- Flying animations - make a ground or sea unit fly as if it was airbourne

Level 49
We had a few animation contests. They were relatively successful, but even with only ONE animation they were extremely unpopular. Which is why I suggest only one, long, detailed animation. E.g... A narration, a dance, etc.

Besides, the dance contest had quite more than enough entries for the time it was posted.

Level 26
personally I would like that we just use 1 of the ingame models(but the ones with the bone names bone_root, bone_chest) and create an animations set for it that we provide as a free source to use for other wc3 models.

We had a few animation contests. They were relatively successful, but even with only ONE animation they were extremely unpopular. Which is why I suggest only one, long, detailed animation. E.g... A narration, a dance, etc.

Besides, the dance contest had quite more than enough entries for the time it was posted.

I always make a whole set of scratch animations for the Modelling Contests. I made around 6 or more animations for the Scantid in 1 day, 12 animations to the Otter in 2 days, a whole set of anims to the Son of Anubis in a few days also.
But this time we won't have to do the mesh. I don't think it's too much...at all...

personally I would like that we just use 1 of the ingame models(but the ones with the bone names bone_root, bone_chest) and create an animations set for it that we provide as a free source to use for other wc3 models.
That could work as well, But it's pretty much the same as doing anims to a given mesh, since you can allow people to transfer them, later.

I think that we could choose around 4 models, and provide this, before the contest starts:
- 3dsmax5 + art tools scene with rigging done (split mesh attached to bones)
- milkshape scene with ready skeleton
- 3dsmax 6-2010 scene with rigging done (FBX format textured mesh with skin modifier)
- GMAX scene with rigging done
- animation-less MDX of the model

lol gay animations would be so funny. think about a tauren lightly walking on the tip of its hooves, or arthas shaking his butt with arms wide open while walking :ugly:

Last edited:
Agreed! :]

Will they waste a contest though for a theme that's not so serious?
If we already had a dance animation contest... I don't think there would be a problem. it would be funny and awesome

OMG! You just gave me an idea!!!
An awesome cinematic maker as Pharaoh_ shall create a really short cinematic with standard anims and a couple of wc3 models.
The wc3 animations, certainly won't fit sometimes.
The animator shall choose where they don't fit, and it should create up to 5 cinematic anims to be used at the cinematic. (Of course he's gonna need to edit a little bit the map to order the anims to be played at the time they should, but for this the map's GUI code can have a good presentation, so it won't be any hard)
We give the models present in the cinematic with the rigs + anims and the contestants edit them. :)

There needs to be a rigged gmax scene, also, just for fairness sakes, but, you can't get an importer script for gmax.
Sure, added it to the list. There is a script that imports to gmax, only wrapped mesh and rig, with anims quite screwed up, but that may be pretty much all we need...

I talked to py and the cinematic animation contest is quite too complicated to work.

But the gay animation contest is ok.

The problem is that... if we give ready a number of rigs it will limit creativity. If we do not, some people might not be able to participate, so I thought about this:

the first post of the thread has a table with every contestant and its entry's model.
if you can't get a rig yourself, you should ask the host one.
if you can make your own rig, you should notify the host before starting.
there can't be two entries of the same model, so you should check the thread before starting.

lol at this:

Level 25
I'm asking of a new animation contest since the last one ended.

But the problem is I can use IK bones or biped and someone with milkshape3D can't.

Limiting the contest with FK bones only is the only good option I think.
Or maybe you can only participate with 3Ds max so we all can use IK bones.

- Drunk animations - convert a unit's set of anims to as if they were drunk
- Gay animtions lol - convert a masculine unit's anims to the happiest and gayest possible
- Acrobatic animations - make a unit jump and twist while executing their anims
- Zombie animations - make an unit act as if it was a zombie kind of itself
- Dumb animations - make an unit look dumb, doing things the wrong way/harder way
- Dance animations - make an unit dance (they had this in the past, had too few contestants... :/)
- Flying animations - make a ground or sea unit fly as if it was airbourne

Drunk anims are ok.

Also the cinematic animations would be nice. You don't have to create cinematic animation just animations on the character like bow, pray, kneel, cry, write, sit, rest.. so people can make cinematics.

I also like fighting animations.

Status
Not open for further replies.