• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Greakos Example map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hello,

I'm in the process of building an example map for my Greek styles faction "Greakos".
The Greakos units are in my "Defenders of the people pack".

I've already created 80+ doodads to make awesome villages and buildings, and I need feedback.
Please review the attached Pictures, and let me know what you think.

I know my terraining skills are awefull, so if you think you can do this better than me... feel free to join me.

Attachments

• Entrance to Akrepolis.png
    Entrance to Akrepolis.png
    2 MB · Views: 84
  • Gates and Walls.png
    Gates and Walls.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 79
  • Greakos Example Town.png
    Greakos Example Town.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 80
  • Greakos Villa.png
    Greakos Villa.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
  • Statue of athena.png
    Statue of athena.png
    607.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Temple of zeus.png
    Temple of zeus.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 75
  • Trairs to the Akrepolis.png
    Trairs to the Akrepolis.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 71
  • Village Doodads 1.png
    Village Doodads 1.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 64
  • Village Doodads 2.png
    Village Doodads 2.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 70
Looks interesting, did you make a lot of these models yourself?

I like what you have going with the stairs and the rock chunks stacked around them.

Here are some remarks:
  • In the second picture the roadside stone fences should be tinted differently. The orange color crashes with the environment around.
  • While I like what you did with the stairs they should still be turned into walkable destructibles. That way you can lower the ground below the stairs, so it's not visible.
  • The areas are very flat, and some height variation would not hurt. Have some higher areas in the village for example, some houses on top of a hill with a road leading up to them or something. Look at concept art of ancient Greek villages and take inspiration from there.
  • You need a lot more foliage, and filler doodads around to make your terrain truly vibrant and breathing. Research what kind of foliage was normal at the time, and try to imitate what you see in the concept art images you search up online. Fig trees, olive trees and such are normal trees for the Mediterranean.

Try to do some city planning. Think about the essential things a city has, think about a logical city layout (port location, city entrance, marketplaces, temples) and then mark the key locations. Build your terrain around those key locations.

Look at concept art and try to think about what is the best possible way you can make your terrain as similar to the concept art as possible. A lot of it requires tedious placement of thousands of filler doodads.

What I normally do when I start a terrain;

First, have the majority of the assets you need to create your terrain prepared beforehand. Before I actually place any doodads I flesh out the layout in the terrain editor. All height variations, roads, hills, ports, areas for water and so on. I make all of that first, then I proceed with the big doodads such as cliffs, rocks, stairs and houses. Then I move on to trees and fences. After that I place all of the foliage like bushes, grass, flowers, dirt and cobblestones. After that I place filler doodads such as boxes, crates, carriages, vases and all the other tiny stuff that you'd normally find laying around in whatever kind of area you're making. Finally you put the tiny details like ivies from the building walls, leaves hanging from doorways, tiny flags and stuff hanging about.

Basically have a clear plan in your mind, that way things becomes more streamlined, and less random. Terrain is a time sink when done properly but it's worth it.

Level 6
Looks interesting, did you make a lot of these models yourself?

I like what you have going with the stairs and the rock chunks stacked around them.

Here are some remarks:
  • In the second picture the roadside stone fences should be tinted differently. The orange color crashes with the environment around.
  • While I like what you did with the stairs they should still be turned into walkable destructibles. That way you can lower the ground below the stairs, so it's not visible.
  • The areas are very flat, and some height variation would not hurt. Have some higher areas in the village for example, some houses on top of a hill with a road leading up to them or something. Look at concept art of ancient Greek villages and take inspiration from there.
  • You need a lot more foliage, and filler doodads around to make your terrain truly vibrant and breathing. Research what kind of foliage was normal at the time, and try to imitate what you see in the concept art images you search up online. Fig trees, olive trees and such are normal trees for the Mediterranean.

Try to do some city planning. Think about the essential things a city has, think about a logical city layout (port location, city entrance, marketplaces, temples) and then mark the key locations. Build your terrain around those key locations.

Look at concept art and try to think about what is the best possible way you can make your terrain as similar to the concept art as possible. A lot of it requires tedious placement of thousands of filler doodads.

What I normally do when I start a terrain;

First, have the majority of the assets you need to create your terrain prepared beforehand. Before I actually place any doodads I flesh out the layout in the terrain editor. All height variations, roads, hills, ports, areas for water and so on. I make all of that first, then I proceed with the big doodads such as cliffs, rocks, stairs and houses. Then I move on to trees and fences. After that I place all of the foliage like bushes, grass, flowers, dirt and cobblestones. After that I place filler doodads such as boxes, crates, carriages, vases and all the other tiny stuff that you'd normally find laying around in whatever kind of area you're making. Finally you put the tiny details like ivies from the building walls, leaves hanging from doorways, tiny flags and stuff hanging about.

Basically have a clear plan in your mind, that way things becomes more streamlined, and less random. Terrain is a time sink when done properly but it's worth it.
Thanks for the reply, I'm really going to use your tips.

I've made some of these models myself. But a lot of it is stripped from existing models and adjusting existing models.
Basically every little thing you see is a single object now. every vase, awning, roof part and so on.

the screenshots in the attachment are from 2 different maps. the village is my "painters pallette" so to speak, where I test out different stuff.

considering the walkable destructibles: I don't know how to do it. I've tried it, but somehow I cannot get it to work.

A lot of work went into the statue of athena

Basically every little thing you see is a single object now. every vase, awning, roof part and so on.
I see. Then you should separate them into individual models for easier placement of filler doodads.
considering the walkable destructibles: I don't know how to do it. I've tried it, but somehow I cannot get it to work.
You simply tick the flag "Is walkable" in the object editor.
Screenshot_1.png

EDIT: You can basically make every single model in the game walkable by simply doing that, including ships as you can see here (no modifications were made to this destructible other than editing its size and enabling walkability):
Screenshot_2.png

Last edited:
Level 6
I see. Then you should separate them into individual models for easier placement of filler doodads.

You simply tick the flag "Is walkable" in the object editor.

EDIT: You can basically make every single model in the game walkable by simply doing that, including ships as you can see here (no modifications were made to this destructible other than editing its size and enabling walkability):
HAHA wow, All this time.... how did I miss that.
Anyway, thanks a lot man. I will use this.

Status
Not open for further replies.