• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My map terrain - First time doing terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hi, this is my first time doing the map terrain, so I choose the smaller scale of map size (64*64) to make a fun map which called "Defend of the Shrine City"

This map is similar to Starcraft BroodWar's Defend of the Galaxy which only two players able to play in the map and build their kingdom just like melee map but have to defend their kingdom at any cost (defend their kingdom from being destroy by waves of enemy's attackers).

So here are the screenshots of my terrain:

So what are your comments?

Attachments

• DoTSC_02.jpg
    DoTSC_02.jpg
    583.3 KB · Views: 172
  • DoTSC_03.jpg
    DoTSC_03.jpg
    633.7 KB · Views: 117
  • DoTSC_04.jpg
    DoTSC_04.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 135
  • DoTSC_05.jpg
    DoTSC_05.jpg
    558.3 KB · Views: 110
  • DoTSC_01.jpg
    DoTSC_01.jpg
    555.7 KB · Views: 160
  • DoTSC_06.jpg
    DoTSC_06.jpg
    940.9 KB · Views: 120
Level 14
Kinda empty. All you did was spamming trees in the corners as doodads and adding that ramp.

Level 19
Well, I don't doupt its playability, but you could do alot of stuff to make it look better. All those tree spams look ugly. Unless they are essential for the gameplay, like for lumber, I think you should remove them, or at least decrease their number drastically. There are no rocks, nor shrubs or any other sign of regular vegetation. Environmental doodads is your friend, remember that when terraining. Blizzard default cliffs usually look ugly. Unless you are VERY skilled and really know how use them, you should avoid them. Instead try to raise the terrain and use pathing blockers.

Also, with custom models your terrain will look much better. Check out http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/the-ultimate-terraining-map-3-0-a-45316/ for custom models.

Level 7
Well, I don't doupt its playability, but you could do alot of stuff to make it look better. All those tree spams look ugly. Unless they are essential for the gameplay, like for lumber, I think you should remove them, or at least decrease their number drastically. There are no rocks, nor shrubs or any other sign of regular vegetation. Environmental doodads is your friend, remember that when terraining. Blizzard default cliffs usually look ugly. Unless you are VERY skilled and really know how use them, you should avoid them. Instead try to raise the terrain and use pathing blockers.

Also, with custom models your terrain will look much better. Check out http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/the-ultimate-terraining-map-3-0-a-45316/ for custom models.

O...Ok....Thank you for your comment I will try to improve the terrain whenever I can and with my very best.

HyperActive said:
Maybe the red fog ain't the best choice for the Sunken Ruins.

So what will you recommend for? Ray of moonlight? Since it is night environment.

TheLifelessOne said:
Personally, I think its good if that was your first terrain.

However, it does look empty.
You should add some smaller doodads, and use tree (and cliffs/hills) to make it more interesting.

Any chance for a full, overhead view?

Thank you but I dont think it is good enough, Anyway I will improve it. Full and overhead view? Will post up when I have made changes on it.

Level 16
So what will you recommend for? Ray of moonlight? Since it is night environment.

Rain. Rain always works in a sunken ruins terrain.

Also, even though you want to keep a big area for buildings, you can still spice it up with doodads with the pathing of mushrooms, since they ain't in the way of anything, and it usually looks a lot better when it's not just flat ground..

Level 7
Rain. Rain always works in a sunken ruins terrain.

Also, even though you want to keep a big area for buildings, you can still spice it up with doodads with the pathing of mushrooms, since they ain't in the way of anything, and it usually looks a lot better when it's not just flat ground..

Oh I see. Alright, I will make it later. Thank you for your suggestions.

@crl

Thank you.

Level 7
I have made changes and mostly remake of the map. Here are some of my remade map terrain, so any comments?

I use Lordaeron Rain (Light) with Generic Sky. Then add environment's doodads, props's doodads and tree/destructibles.

My outcome as below but will make further more changes later.

Attachments

• LoH_01.jpg
    LoH_01.jpg
    1,002.2 KB · Views: 101
  • LoH_02.jpg
    LoH_02.jpg
    990.2 KB · Views: 125
  • LoH_03.jpg
    LoH_03.jpg
    968.5 KB · Views: 85
  • LoH_04.jpg
    LoH_04.jpg
    901.7 KB · Views: 67
  • LoH_05.jpg
    LoH_05.jpg
    800.6 KB · Views: 116
  • LoH_06.jpg
    LoH_06.jpg
    871.9 KB · Views: 72
  • LoH_10.jpg
    LoH_10.jpg
    903.2 KB · Views: 64
  • LoH_09.jpg
    LoH_09.jpg
    964.7 KB · Views: 150
  • LoH_08.jpg
    LoH_08.jpg
    969.2 KB · Views: 98
  • LoH_07.jpg
    LoH_07.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 71
  • LoH_11.jpg
    LoH_11.jpg
    794.3 KB · Views: 72
  • LoH_12.jpg
    LoH_12.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 76
  • LoH_13.jpg
    LoH_13.jpg
    937 KB · Views: 66
  • LoH_14.jpg
    LoH_14.jpg
    804 KB · Views: 79
  • Minimap.jpg
    Minimap.jpg
    921.7 KB · Views: 83
Level 7

Attachments

• LoH_05.jpg
    LoH_05.jpg
    832.9 KB · Views: 75
I never had to hold Ctrl.

Anyway, looks a lot better, but as with nearly every terrain I've ever seen, there is always room for improvement.
Try adding some sand near the cliffs. I usually find that it makes those areas look more natural.
Not sure why, but I think a nice (clifless) river from the top left to bottom right would really make it look good.

You need more details on the ground like rocks,trees, maybe a river, it looks empty at the moment. I know you want to have room for buildings and etc. but if it's a problem just remove the pathing blockers of rocks and place them somehow dunno. Add custom grass models and i think it shall be better ( but don't use the grass if you don't know how to use it in the good way )

Level 7
You need more details on the ground like rocks,trees, maybe a river, it looks empty at the moment. I know you want to have room for buildings and etc. but if it's a problem just remove the pathing blockers of rocks and place them somehow dunno. Add custom grass models and i think it shall be better ( but don't use the grass if you don't know how to use it in the good way )

Mmm.....Okay....will try to improve it. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.