• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Good Animes to Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Fist of the North Star

KENSHIRO_1.gif
You are already dead.

♫ You wa shock! ♫

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I don't want to start a fight with anyone, but I've tried popular animes such as Bleach, One Piece and Fairy Tail and a few others and they're horrible. They have potential, but the storyline is dragged out, lots of fillers, too many side stories derail the overall storyline, fight scenes are slow and unoriginal and the bad guys are constantly talking and explaining their every move, lots of lame quotes and the writers put a stupid joke in every second scene (silly humour is great, but they all overdo it and I can't take any of it seriously!).

I more or less agree. I watched 70 episodes of naruto shippuden before I gave up on it due something I don't remember. However I have watched every single fight scene via youtube so I can still grasp the overall story. Naruto is insanely good anime in terms of story, but it's hard to keep it intense for sooo many episodes. Fairy tail was fine for me until episode 180 when I lost faith in it. It was good but as you mentioned there was too much side story.

Fullmetal Alchemist/Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (Awesome!!)
Highschool of the Dead (But Beware Ecchi)
No Game No Life <-This one is Epic
Beelzebub, (Not Much Good Fighting Scene But I like it)
SAO (Anime I love the Most)
Accel World (Same Writer with SAO, also my Favorite)
Fate: Stay Night/Zero (I love this one, but is lil too Violent a bit (Too much Blood))
Black Rock Shooter (I don't understand a thing in this anime, but I like BRS)

SAO II = really bad second half. Kirito went from being the main character to being a support character. Additionally there are too many people around.
fate:stay/night unlimited blade works is really good too, I recommend that one while you Fate: Stay Night/Zero. However I don't agree on the gory part, there are many who are worse. *cough* Akame ga kill (<3) *cough* Tokyo Ghoul

Anyway since I've spend the last month watching anime I can throw a few animes your way.

*the animes are rated 17+ or R+*
Tokyo Ghoul
Akame ga Kill (the manga is just brutal)
Future Diary
Jormungand
Hellsing Ultimate
Black Lagoon

I'd mention highschool of the dead too, but already taken x)

Last edited:
Level 34
Black Lagoon
I enjoyed it. As a Catholic, not a fan of the role of the Church (also why I don't watch Hellsing), but it was a pretty good anime. It got a bit too crazy towards the end for me, but I really enjoyed the beginning.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I enjoyed it. As a Catholic, not a fan of the role of the Church (also why I don't watch Hellsing), but it was a pretty good anime. It got a bit too crazy towards the end for me, but I really enjoyed the beginning.

I just like to watch Revy. I didn't care about the story xd

She's about as badass as it gets.

Level 21
Full Metal Panic,
Full Metal Alchemist,
Baccano,
Break Blade,
Hunter X Hunter,
Soul Eater,
D.Gray Man,
Gurren Lagann,
Toriko,
Fairy tail,
Hellsing,
One Piece,
Ao No Exorcist,
Zoids,
Battle Spirits,
Deadman Wonderland,
Yu Yu Hakusho,
Trigun,
Joe Joe's Bizarre Adventures/Star Dust Crusader,
Magi,
ZegaPain
Nobunaga the Fool,
Nobunagun,
Card Fight! Vanguard,
Hamataro the Animation,
Soul Eater NOT!,
Arata Kangatari,
Z/X Ignition,
Akame ga Kill,
Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis,
Nanatsu no Taizai

Last edited:
Level 13
I've watched
FMA when I was a lot younger (Didn't care for brotherhood as much though)
The Original Naruto Series (Didn't care for early shippuden and couldn't persevere ;3, 4th Shinobi War and all that looks really sweet though)
Err. Bleach. I don't know if I would recommend the entire series though.. The first 2-3 Arcs were sweet, but after that it lost its touch for me.
Attack on Titan ;3 I've only watched 2 episodes, but I plan on watching more when I get around to it. Looks like a good one.

I've watched little bits of other animes (One Piece, Hellsing, Fairy Tail) and a few others I can't think of, but couldn't really recommend them as I never got more than an episode or two into the series.

Level 30
Here are some animes I could suggest but pardon me if some or most suggestions have been suggested already.

Tokyo Ghoul for me is a must watch. It has a good story which points out to a Ghoul's life. The characters, at least for me has good development most likely the MC but sadly the anime was cut short and up to 12 episodes only so I would suggest reading the manga to continue and it's much better.

Akame ga kill which is a gory anime which tells of several characters' life fighting for their freedom and... life against the corrupted government. It's quite good but went downhill for me when it took a different route from the manga on the end (thought got me much more hype and sad) but it entirely depends on the watcher if it's good, it's for you to find out.

Steins;Gate is quite an anime and simply gives you the feels and the mindf*cks (if you know what I meant by that word) as what others suggested.

Others would be:
  • Kuroko no Basuke if you're an avid fan of Basketball
  • Angel Beats which has lots of happy but at the same time, sad moments
  • Nisekoi
  • Fate/Stay Night which you should watch first before any other series of it namely Zero and Unlimited Blade Works.
  • Fate/Zero
  • Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works

And, probably more if I have more for suggestion, these would not be the last. Also, to keep everyone interested, here is a list of the upcoming anime on 2015 but not sure if official though: http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/seasons/winter-2015

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
For me, probably Texhnolyze, Cromartie High School, Elfen Lied, the Monogatari series, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (this one is tricky), and Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu.

Roughly in descending order from most enjoyable to least enjoyable.
Hope you sort of know what I'm looking for judging from the description. Any recommendations anyone?
Based on what you've liked so far, I would put my money on the Gundam series or Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Both heavily revolve around mech, have good depth besides being simple concepts, and are pretty action-laden. Perfect for semi-casual watching.

Level 34
If you're going to watch Gundam you want to watch the good ones. There are some that are pretty good while others suck. Seed and 00 are the best.

Level 22
I liked the 0079 era Gundams and Mobile suits (loved the fed's suits) than the recent almost mahou shoujo-ic ones.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I've recently watched two of the more recent major hype animes now:

Sword Art Online and Attack on Titan.

Let's start with the good: Both have great animations and nice art style. It's very entertaining to watch if you are into graphic fidelity.
However, let's come to the bad:
Sword Art Online starts out great by recycling the formula of the .Hack// series. The characters enter a virtual world and are unable to log out. So far so interesting. However, the anime suffers from a total lack of direction and heavy time-jumps. The first couple of episodes are fun to watch, but then the whole thing developes into a pointless romance plot with endless filler episodes. The characters are extremely one-dimensional, with the typical stoic hero, the cooking housewife character, the lolita love triangle addition, etc.
The series, while still somewhat fun for me due to the nice animations, turned out to be a tedious task to finish. An interesting premise wasted on centuries old asian character stereotypes. Not my cup of tea.

Attack on Titan starts with a rather unique setting. The series literally slams it's huge dick on the table in the first couple of episodes... and then, again, loses all it's appeal due to boring filler episodes, countless plotholes, predictable twists and extremely one-dimensional characters. The action scenes with the unique combat style kind of work as a saving grace for the series to prevent it from being totally average at best.
Needless to say, I don't really get the hype on this.

Level 21
I've recently watched two of the more recent major hype animes now:

Sword Art Online and Attack on Titan.

Let's start with the good: Both have great animations and nice art style. It's very entertaining to watch if you are into graphic fidelity.
However, let's come to the bad:
Sword Art Online starts out great by recycling the formula of the .Hack// series. The characters enter a virtual world and are unable to log out. So far so interesting. However, the anime suffers from a total lack of direction and heavy time-jumps. The first couple of episodes are fun to watch, but then the whole thing developes into a pointless romance plot with endless filler episodes. The characters are extremely one-dimensional, with the typical stoic hero, the cooking housewife character, the lolita love triangle addition, etc.
The series, while still somewhat fun for me due to the nice animations, turned out to be a tedious task to finish. An interesting premise wasted on centuries old asian character stereotypes. Not my cup of tea.

Attack on Titan starts with a rather unique setting. The series literally slams it's huge dick on the table in the first couple of episodes... and then, again, loses all it's appeal due to boring filler episodes, countless plotholes, predictable twists and extremely one-dimensional characters. The action scenes with the unique combat style kind of work as a saving grace for the series to prevent it from being totally average at best.
Needless to say, I don't really get the hype on this.

Maybe because the anime is hollow, has no charm and is just too poorly explained and with too many problems in the story.

It just sucked, but people love pointless violence in it and the mary sue-nature of most characters in it...

Level 34
I am sorry, but I don't get the hype with TTGL. It wasn't bad, but it's so far from my favorites.

Level 5
I haven't read all posts, so I don't know if it has been mentioned before, but one of my favorites is Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Not your typical shonen anime, it has a deep story, interesting characters and plot twists. Of course, Code Geass, Death Note, Steins;Gate are masterpieces. Two underestimated animes are Kaiji which is one of the best gambling and psychological thrillers for me, and Monster, great mystery and psychological anime.

Level 28
I am sorry, but I don't get the hype with TTGL. It wasn't bad, but it's so far from my favorites.
Well, I just found the strory to be well executed.
Which the character designs (apart from Yoko) aren't really appealing, the GAINAX-fighting scenes are - to me.
The first half may be a bit slow-paced but it was worth watching those 10 episodes of Simon being, well, what he was.
It might just be a matter of taste.
Just how I don't get the hype with Fairy Tail and One Piece

Level 30
Squiggy, you might want to watch Kill la kill, its the same guys who made Gurren Lagann. Its an awesome wacky story.

Fairy Tail and One Piece
Fairy Tail was really cool when they started out, I somehow don't feel the urge to continue it anymore after having so many delays. One Piece on the other hand, is probably because of a lot of fight scenes and story-links.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Fairy Tail was really cool when they started out, I somehow don't feel the urge to continue it anymore after having so many delays. One Piece on the other hand, is probably because of a lot of fight scenes and story-links.
You don't watch One-Piece for the story, but for the freaks. At least that's what I do.

Level 28
Squiggy, you might want to watch Kill la kill, its the same guys who made Gurren Lagann. Its an awesome wacky story.

I dunno, KLK didn't pique my interest.
The last 'really good' anime I watched was probably Kotonoha no Niwa.
Preceding to that; Renkin San-kyuu Magical Pokaan because it was hilariously funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.