• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Godfall Chronicles

This the the first campaign for the series Godfall chronicles. In this particular campaign you will take command of army of guilds, a human race with considerable technological advancements.

The gameplay is not linear, which means the story isn't really connected between the chapters, they are just representation of major battles the Vanguard guild in last years. Sort of Age of empires 2 campaigns (especially conquerors). So you can play in the order as you wish, although I tried to sort it depending of difficulty.

Maybe many people will not like it, but there are no cinematics. I think that this way is better than those non-skippable cinematics which are very annoying.

The team:
Em! - original idea, terrainer, event triggerer, modeler, object data editor
Mechanical Man - system triggerer, modeler, debugger, idea complainer guy

Credits:
Dwarf Engineer - Gar'nogal for Skin Ket for Model spanner by ike_ike.
KnightHelmet - shadow1500
Royal Captain - Tranquil
MedivhAssassin - soulreaver6
Spanish Conquistador & Icon - BlinkBoy
SentryGun & Icon - Domokun
Faerie & Icon - donut3.5
Male Elf Ranger & Beastmask - Mc !
Wareagle - Garfield
Sylvanus & Glade Guard - Hueter
Elvenrider - SinisterX
HighElvenEagle - Garfield
Gun - Callahan
FairyHero - Phoenix-IV and Tiki
DruidoftheTalon - CharlieX
Goblinskin - ExN
OrcWarmongerskin - Dragonskull
OrcArcher skin - Gar'nogal
OrcChieftain - Borrowed from War1 project *Believe Rommel made it*
Mounted Force commander Skin - Hueter
Dark potion icon - Egg
Special Thanks to Thorneon for answering a request and fixing the medical center skin
HE Enchantress - Rommel,Mystie & Celestea
WoodElfDruidess\Nymph - NatDis

Special thanks to Radagast to make a terrain for Desert march, Ghost765 for terraining a part of highmount and fixing some tooltips and Ghostwolf for removing a leak from one crucial trigger.

It's not a top quality campaign, many things can be improved, but it would take too much time to mess with it, even though many things were optimized. We will take criticism and try to fix mistakes in the future campaigns (or hopefully also a multiplayer maps).
Contents

Godfall Chronicles (Campaign)

Reviews
22:30, 7th Jun 2009 by bounty hunter2: A well done campaign, in need of some polishing and terrain improvements. Approved with a 4/5 (Recommended) rating. You can find my full review at post #33.

M

22:30, 7th Jun 2009 by bounty hunter2:
A well done campaign, in need of some polishing and terrain improvements. Approved with a 4/5 (Recommended) rating.

You can find my full review at post #33.

Em!

Em!

Level 24
Please note that the campaign is not protected but this does not mean that you can simply dive in and take what you want, do not upload or officially use any of our work without permission, unless its already uploaded somewere else ofcourse and also if its not rightly ours.

Also the tech trees are not final and neither is the resource system *like power will be gathered differently*. The system will change in future Godfall maps and this maps may be updated accordingly.

Info.
The Guilds are an important part of the human empire, as man is nearly extinct and many of its technological miracles are lost, the last human kingdom lies in the Heartlands and there capital is known as Paradise Falls. *Some unit may have the appearance of dwarfs, but there are no dwarfs in the guild tech tree.

The Wood elves hail from the fey realms, they are not native to this world. They are utter aliens and rightly feared by Humans. Elves in the Godfall worlds is not your average know it all tree hugging hippies, rather mythical beings connected together by the will of there queen and through her, the will of there God Eldmane.

Orcs are savage bloodthirsty, warfrenzied and lack all honor and nobility that the war3 orcs attained when they were cured of the demonic taint. In fact these orcs are direct descendant of demons that roam free in the barren lands.

You´ll find out more about these races in future releases. Were currently working on a *war3orc expansion kind of map, with submaps*, were you choose which race to play and you can explore the world and lay siege to capital lands.

Upcoming Race.
Skardans, a nordic kind of race.
Demons, featuring uhh yah demons.
and
Dark Elves!!!, go dark elves, i am looking forward to that part.
oh and possibly a water type race.

Last edited:

Em!

Em!

Level 24
more like ALL the tooltips >.> but its ok. make cinematics, fix up some of my mistakes on the cave, etc. and make a story!

The only story there is and will be for this campaign is what your told in the loading screen and in the quests\objective.

There is no and won´t be any cinematics. Wait for the next release, its gonna be far more awesome than this and it won´t be linear either. Were going for a campaign similar to the orc expansion tutorial with Rexxar, but depending on which race you choose to play you´ll start at a different map but you will be able to travel between map and do race related quests plus you´ll be able to wage a massive siege on the enemy fort.
The terrain will be better with new doodads and villages and you will be able to visit a variety of location to learn more about the world.

This campaign ur playing now was done only for experimenting with gameplay.
Edit: One more thing, there already is a story, you just don´t get to see it in this campaign.

Level 1
The only story there is and will be for this campaign is what your told in the loading screen and in the quests\objective.

There is no and won´t be any cinematics. Wait for the next release, its gonna be far more awesome than this and it won´t be linear either. Were going for a campaign similar to the orc expansion tutorial with Rexxar, but depending on which race you choose to play you´ll start at a different map but you will be able to travel between map and do race related quests plus you´ll be able to wage a massive siege on the enemy fort.
The terrain will be better with new doodads and villages and you will be able to visit a variety of location to learn more about the world.

This campaign ur playing now was done only for experimenting with gameplay.
Edit: One more thing, there already is a story, you just don´t get to see it in this campaign.
Can you give a rough idea how much the wait would be?

Em!

Em!

Level 24
There are only two of us working on this and theres a lot to do, modeling all buildings and few units from scratch, building designing and balancing the tech tree for all races including the ones you play here, lot of balance changes have been made. Resource system needs an overhaul but thankfully the new version of the battalion featuring in the workmap is for me superb.Workmap is were me and mech are working on everything before we input it into a campaign. The campaign i hope would not take up much time once the races are complete but it won´t be done fast either.

Like i said there is only the two of us and + all that work + not working 24/7 i´ve got a job and mechanical man well i dun´t know if he has a summer vacation or sumfink. I´d say long time. This campaign wasn´t done in a few months either. I think it took over half a year but now the system is complete,storyline,race design and a lot of other crap worked out which took surprisingly long to make i´d say so all in all...Another half a year haha, unless we recruit more peepz but i´ll maybe do that later.

Last edited:

HFR

HFR

Level 22
It's not the final, but this campaign is far superior than 70% of all campaigns that I already played.

Zelda.Alex already reviewed it, but I'll do it anyway.

I played the Tutorial, Chapter one and half of the two. Now I'll write a general review, for all the chapters:

[+] - The Battalion System

This is one of the most creative and useful system that I ever saw. Tired of only able to control 12 units at time? With this system, my cavalry charges were truly epic. Only this system alone is already enough for approval.

[+] - The Gameplay

While I was playing, it looked like another game, because it's gameplay is very similar to Age of Empires 2 and 3. The engineers just enter in the mine, and generate gold, like AoE 3. The units are trained like the Russians, that in AoE 3, are trained in groups by their Blockhouses. Good job on this!

[+] - The Unit models

Very good job on this. You followed correctly the formula:
Modeller + Mapmaker = Sucess!

[+ -] - The Terrain

The terrain isn't bad, but it isn't very good. You need to pt more tile variation and doodads, like srhubs and rocks. The exception is the Tutorial one. I liked that terrain.

[+ -] - The Heroes

Maybe is just me, but I didn't liked the idea of "dead hero, back to level 1".

Overall, a pretty well made campaign. Even being in a early state, it certainly needs to be approved. I'll give it 4/5 and vote for Approval.

Last edited:
Level 3
No cinematics sounds a little boring for a campaign. But I cant judge a book by it's cover :) Going to download and try it out later, sounds pretty good from what I read from the description and reviews.

~Murcky~

Yeah, I know that terrain isn't the best. We will need to hire some good and reliable terrainer for our next projects. About the heroes, that was our plan actually. They are more like commanders. They are not essential like in warcraft, but they can turn the tide of the battle.

Well to sum up, our map was meant to be some mixture of dawn of war, warlords battlecry and age of empires. So the resource gathering was based on wbc, not aoe3.

Very good job on this. You followed correctly the formula:
Mapmaker = Sucess!
Modeller +

Didn't get that one. What formula is that?

Level 35
HFR, you make it sound as though squad systems are all new :p
I've been working with one for a long time now :p

But hold, the way you use it in this is sooo good, I am in love with the overall look and feel of the Orcs race, truly fantastic :D
Especially having the Goblins there with their Poison attacks :D

Well, I knew you'd allow each unit of the squad to be controlled, Mechanical Man, but I still cannot take to having it like that. The need for a dummy player (in my opinion) seems a little irritating, and when a leader unit dies, the next elected unit is instantly transformed into the more powerful leader? Damn, calls for some awesome last stands :p

That aside, I love the overall look and feel of each race. This campaign has definitely earned my reccomendation :D

Each units have to be controlled individually too, to improve pathing if there is too much mess and also for some bug, where the units won't follow the command of the captain, but still it's in its group thus regroup still works. This would make the captain trapped between its troops. Not sure what cause that bug, I remade the system, but that was only simplification, so I think that bug persists.

Em!

Em!

Level 24
Originally when i started this project before mechanical man joined, the commander idea was more for multiplayer, but i was going to do scenarios first. In multiplayer its gonna be helluva sport taking down a high levelled commander now thats something to cheer for, and the good part is he won´t be able to revive that high level commander, and the good news is there will be a multiplayer.

About orcs, someone said he liked orcs dun´t remember who, too tired to check *have a bloody hangover* meeh i was gonna diss them and just use them as a neutral race, i dun´t like them very much but maybe throw them in as a future addition, right now there tech tree and most models are really messed up.

Level 35
Without a doubt, it's freakin' spectacular! A very good job by Mechanical Man and Em! :D

That was me who liked the Orcs :p
I loved how you combined Orcs and Goblins, exactly what I wanted to do for a long time, but couldn't due to a lack of models and the overall look being crappy without said models :p
Well, in the end, it depends what you're going to do with the project. The Orcs could make an excellent creep race (seeing them makes me want to play as them XD).

And, incidentally, your map is a great inspiration to me for another idea, I'll see where it takes me before I announce it :p

Level 10
Here is my complete revision: (Their get on ranges from 0 to 5)

Terrain: 3/5
It misses doodads and some tile variation. Try importing some doodads from UTM.

Tiggers & Spells: 5/5
Everything is awesome and very well implemented. I loved the squad control system.

Theme Implementation: 4/5
Just awesome model usuage, but it still misses history and cinematics.

Bonus Points:
- A very original campaing. +1
- Just awesome systems. It dont even looks warcraft 3. +1
Total Bonus: 2 points.

Overhall:
3+4+5+2 = 14/3 = 4,6 (Its over 4,5 so I rated 5/5)

Final Note: A 4,6/5 campaing. Just awesome, as I said, you should improve terrain. This thing has a lot of potential and I am waiting for new campaings o the Godfall Chronicles.

Em!

Em!

Level 24
Custom doodads, is already planned in the next Godfall.
Like i´ve said i wasn´t paying much attention to terrain, this was originally done for fun which become an experiment, its hard to deal with everything all at once and still have a good terrain.

Em!

Em!

Level 24
Meh, that may be right, but I didn't actually see anything wrong with the terrain. Also, they are planning for multi-player aspect (as far as I know). However, if it does remain a campaign, then I guess it would be the way to go.

Size won´t matter, it will be in mpq format for multiplayer.

As far as I know, it'll be like our Pokemon RPG: First create a singleplayer campaign, then, a multiplayer map.

Yes, first single then multi.

Level 35
Hehe... about the batallion system overloading, I'm sure you'll be fine, I've combined my own squad system with a projectile system involving many features (courtesy of Illidan(Evil)X), and the only thing I have to worry about is making sure that one particular type of feature doesn't get over-used, no matter what :p

So, with that said, I'm sure that if you wanted to try it out, you'd be fine ;)

Mind you, our systems might be different in such a way that yours does more processing, or has more added to it. Of that, I do not know. Anywayz, good luck, y'all! XD

Level 18
bounty hunter2's Review on Godfall Chronicles

Godfall Chronicles is a campaign made by Mechanical Man and Em!. It consists of four playable chapters.

The campaign is well done, with decent, and sometimes a bit lacking terrain. The Object Editor work is fine, although the spells, or abilities aren't original. The entire idea of the campaign is pretty good, with the combat style of groups, where a main unit controls a group of units.

However all of the maps are on the same basis, destroy something. It would be interesting to include some defense maps, siege maps etc. You could make basically anything out of it, and it would be just great.

I can only commend you on the great models you made specifically for the campaign. Just great.

You should also work on the description, making it better, by using tags, putting images, however if you do put images, please do put them in hidden tags. I also suggest that you import some custom battle music, to enhance the atmosphere.

The campaign also requires some polishing, here is a list, and some other tips:

Terrain:
  • The river comes from nowhere (Should come from a mountain)
  • Blizzard cliffs used water as borders (Use the height tool)
  • Blizzard cliffs as mountains (Looks ugly, use the height tool)
  • Chapter I terrain is to void of dodoads, shrubs, rocks, flowers
Object Editor:
  • Storm of Steel (S) collides with the Stop (S) hotkey
  • Paradise thunder tooltip is confusing
Typos:
  • You spelled I with non capital (i) in map 2 load screen
  • Power is gained from various sources (An dot (.) is missing)
  • VanGuard is spelles VanGuard and Vanguard in Chapter II load screen. Put only one option
Overall the campaign is fun to play, yet it can get a bit monotone and dull in parts. I suggest you bother with all of the above mentioned things, that could make this campaign even better.

Approved with a 4/5 (Recommended) rating.

Note

Therms that are in italic and bold are the ones you should matter with first.
The map was reviewed by bounty hunter2 on 8th of June. 2009.

Level 21
Extremely enjoyable campaign IMO. I'm writing this in the tutorial, and I already find it awesome. The models are great, though the icons could use work, which is mentioned somewhere, as well as the tooltips, same story. If those two were fixed and the terrain improved slightly, it'd be incredibly awesome. Also, sometimes, one guy walks away from the squad at times, then walks back. It usually happens when they're idle.
Very nice campaign though. 4/5

Also, a random idea for the observation tower: when it casts Farsight, maybe make its "head" (?) - the telescope, face the pointed direction. It'd probably be more of a modelling thing though, the trigger is in animation I think.

Level 2
OK i like the campaign, I LOVE the units auto following the commanders so you dont have to micro manage too much (fyi im not sure if micro manage is the right word so deal with it if it isnt) but i really want to use the undead or the other races overall i reccomend this to anybody

Level 5
really well made and thought up, my only complaint is there is a bug with hero abilitys. sometimes they will upgrade to next level when trained and sometimes they wont. also the ability that makes hero attack faster will sometimes just not work at all. i also seen one other bug which may have just been a fluke but i had a knight that would spawn infinite after its death, basically all it was just the knight lord and no other knights and it just kept respawning after death. an increase in starting rescources would be nice to, the last map i was obliterated 3 times in the first 5 minutes of start before i finnaly managed to kill the innitial wave. its not that it was just to overwhelming to kill it was that i just didnt have the rescources at the start to do anything about it. i give 4/5.

Em!

Em!

Level 24
Not sure if i can advertise this here but we are looking for more testers to play godfall 2, multiplayer only, tech trees are complete,it features 4 fully playable races (Vampires, Empire, Dark Elf and Wood Elf), go to our forums for more detail.
Wrote about in how can you help.

Contact me if you want to learn more or are interested in playing.
Single player demo is coming soon.