• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

God RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
God RPG - Betrayal

God RPG - Betrayal, currently under production by ShadowNasta Productions (which at this time pretty much just means myself and Shadowz123), is a single player RPG based on Ancient Greek mythology.
Hades has betrayed the other Gods, and, forbidden to war among themselves, the gods turn to a mortal to champion their cause.

The player takes on the role of Kyrus, the Champion of the Gods, and must make his way through the city of Athens, striking down the forces of Hades that occupy the city. Kyrus' journey will take him to an ancient shrine of Hades, and ultimately to the Underworld itself.

Always behind Kyrus are his four followers, Tyren, Hira, Aurus and Matyus. The player can take advantage of these loyal soldiers by giving them orders. The player cannot, however, directly control these followers. Instead, the player can use a set of commands (such as 'Heal us', which commands the recipient of the command to disengage from the battle, stand back and start healing) to effectively utilise these followers.

There are four available difficulty settings in God RPG. These are:

Recruit (Easy, for the somewhat... challenged)
Soldier (Normal, recommended for most new players)
Hero (Hard, recommended for skilled players)
Champion (Insane, extremely difficult)

This is the new alpha 0.20 version of God RPG. It is a HUGE improvement over the previous version. Note that I do not advise selecting the 'Recruit' difficulty, as it is in all honesty so easy that it is boring.

Note also that the first one to complete the alpha on champion difficulty without cheating and upload the replay of it (which means that you cannot save in game, or else you cannot save the replay) will be included in the credits (for proving that it's possible) as well as having an appearance as an enemy unit in the fight with Hades.

EDIT: Uploaded version alpha 0.21, which contains two major bugfixes.

EDIT2: Uploaded version alpha 0.22, which fixes the final cinematic, as well as the bugged Thanatos encounter.

Tiranasta
ShadowNasta Productions

Last edited:
Level 5
This is really hard...

Hello Bounty, we hope you like the map.

We're going to release the new version very soon, possibly later today. The map is currently in the testing phase. I've just been testing Champion difficulty, and I have just died to the first boss for about the fifteenth time in a row. I will be REALLY impressed if anyone passes this map on Champion difficulty.

Tiranasta
ShadowNasta Productions

Level 5
God RPG Alpha 0.20 uploaded.

This version is a HUGE improvement over the previous one. Note that I do not advise selecting the 'Recruit' difficulty, as it is in all honesty so easy that it is boring.

Note also that the first one to complete the demo on champion difficulty without cheating and upload the replay of it (which means that you cannot save in game, or else you cannot save the replay) will be included in the credits (for proving that it's possible) as well as having an appearance as an enemy unit in the fight with Hades.

Tiranasta
ShadowNasta Productions

Level 7
nice so far, I'm already in Athens fighting Thanatos but...

How do I use the blade thrower? I press esc but all it does is shake the ground and stun/damage me.

EDIT: Maybe you fixed that in the new version, I'll download it...
EDIT 2: Uhhh where is it?

Level 5
It's linked in the first post. As for the problem you had, that's intended. Thanatos isn't blind - he knows what you're trying to do, so he casts a ground tremor spell on you to prevent you using it.

I should also mention that in the next version (Alpha 0.25), the invasion of Athens (yeah, it's pitiful in its current state, I know) and the encounter with Thanatos will both be completely overhauled. The other major change planned for 0.25 is that the new AI system will be implemented.

Tiranasta
ShadowNasta Productions

Level 7
ok got it :D

But, when he gets stunned (goes "ugh") I went to the blade thrower and pressed esc and this time it worked! But it went into a cinematic where I attacked the blade thrower but that's all that happened. It didn't even fire

What now?

Level 5
That's bugged? I thought I had fixed that. I will release a new version within an hour that fixes that issue.

As a matter of interest, what difficulty did you play on? Do you have any suggestions for the future?

Tiranasta
ShadowNasta Productions

Level 7
I'm still playing soldier lol
I wanna finish the demo in that difficulty first before trying champion( I really want to win that contest :D)
There's also another bug I found, if I use my "storm bolt" skill (The one with the axe icon) Thanatos is going to "snarl" then do howl of terror, stun nearby units then become magic immune for a few seconds. If there is no one attacking him while he is stunned(as long as it's before he retaliates with a skill) he's going to be stunned forever. Although there won't be a buff or special effect on him that says he's stunned, he will be unable to attack and he just stands there while we pound on him. (lol I've replayed the game like 3-4 times already :D)
Oh, and when we first enter Athens, Cecrops talks to us but his name will be "Cycrops" instead. And "heros" should be "heroes" :D

Level 5
Ok, I've fixed the bug preventing the cinematic from playing, I'm working on fixing the other issues now. In the mean time, feel free to try Hero or Champion difficulty - the cinematic that isn't working is the final cinematic, you've already completed the gameplay. I should mention, however, that finishing on Champion difficulty will not count in 0.21 towards the contest (it will in the version I'm about to release, though) due to the fact that Thanatos' counter to Strike of the Champion not working making him a considerable amount easier than intended.

Oh, and trivial fact: Strike of the Champion is based off Chain Lightning, not Storm Bolt.

Tiranasta
ShadowNasta Productions

Last edited:
Level 5
Alright. Version alpha 0.22 is linked in the first post. I hope that there are no more major bugs (we did go through a testing phase for a reason...) that will cause us to need to release another bugfix release, so that we can focus on version alpha 0.25.

Oh, and bestoboy? If you want to win the contest, remember that you cannot save on your way through the champion difficulty, as then you would be unable to save your replay afterwards. Good luck!

EDIT: I am an utter moron. I released 0.22 without removing the units I had been using for testing. 0.22b is linked in the first post, without those units.

Tiranasta
ShadowNasta Productions

Last edited:
Level 7
lol I was about to comment on that I had 2 kyrus's running around :D

No more bugs! (I think I turned into your unofficial tester :p)
Working on champion now! I already know most of what's going to happen (boss skills and whatnot) but I think I won't be able to beat Thanatos :|

Level 5
Hehe, don't underestimate the Warrior of Hades either. He's very difficult on Champion.

...and damn, I had hoped that I had taken 0.22 down fast enough that no one would get the bugged version.

Tiranasta
ShadowNasta Productions

Level 7
Tried champion 3 times

1st time - died on 2 doom guard thingies right before Warrior of Hades
2nd time- died on the fire part of the "test" area. That was insane!
3rd time - Damn warrior of Hades!! What got me was that skill that when off every couple of seconds!!

I'm going to sleep, I'll try again tomorrow!

Level 5
Tried champion 3 times

1st time - died on 2 doom guard thingies right before Warrior of Hades
2nd time- died on the fire part of the "test" area. That was insane!
3rd time - Damn warrior of Hades!! What got me was that skill that when off every couple of seconds!!

I'm going to sleep, I'll try again tomorrow!

1. Yeah, that part's always difficult.
2. Haha, yes, on Champion difficulty those Flame Strikes do over 200 (can't remember the exact amount off the top of my head) damage per one third of a second - that'll sure kill you fast.
3. Told you he was really difficult. As you so correctly pointed out, his Earth Tremor ability hits really hard. You should have seen him early on in the testing phase of the map's production - he was even harder then! :S

Sleep well!

Tiranasta
ShadowNasta Productions

Level 5
God RPG is now titled God RPG - Betrayal. We also have plans for a God RPG 2 (including a general idea of the storyline), but work won't begin on that until the completion of God RPG.

Tiranasta
ShadowNasta Productions

Level 9
Hi All
Below are a few Pictures of the Upcoming Release, God RPG 0.25, Where Athens, Has been Completely Remade to suit a Bigger and Better Invasion, Which will prove to be Much more Fun, and Tough! I hope you Like them.

Attachments

• New Athens One.JPG
    New Athens One.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 97
  • New Athens Two.JPG
    New Athens Two.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 142
  • New Athens Three.JPG
    New Athens Three.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 89
Level 1
There is already a RPG called GOD RPG... it's by Euriny. It's Korean but alos played on U.S. East. Anyways, Great job till now! Keep it up!

Level 5
There is? Hm. Well, given that this is a single player map, and that this is called God RPG - Betrayal (which should at least help to avoid confusion), I'm going to leave the name as it is. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, though.

Tiranasta
ShadowNasta Productions

Level 18
Anyway Im currently playing full rewiev bit later.

HAHA I remember now, I had played this before, 2 years or so I think right?

Anyway the dialog is excelent and flawless but the cinematics are badly done, with static boring cameras, and boring terrain. And you aren't a hero but a unit what is also boring.

But I loved the dialogs and the idea. GL

Level 5
You become a Hero a short way in to the game. As for the cinematics - I admit that I've never been that good at working with cameras, unfortunately.

Here's another new screenshot. It shows the new boss that will be added in 0.25 alpha. You should also be able to get an idea of some of the terrain changes by glancing at the minimap.

Tiranasta
ShadowNasta Productions

Attachments

• Big Portal.JPG
    Big Portal.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 489
Level 5
The temple thing on the begining is way too much bare. You could add more dodads, like arches, archways etc.

The place with the portal - you fixed that.

Where he fights skeletons - also to bare, add more enviromental dodoads, grass, height variations.

The place with the portal isn't fixed, that's a different portal.

Tiranasta
ShadowNasta Productions

Level 5
The AI System

Sorry to hear you've given up, Bestoboy. Be sure to try the upcoming version, though!

This is how the AI system is going to work: At the top of the map are four 'command' units, that is, units containing the AI commands of each follower. Note that these units cannot be seen on the minimap, and can not be seen at all even with iseedeadpeople active. The only way to select them is through triggers. In order to select them, you simply click on the follower you wish to command and press the 'esc' key. I will also advise that the player binds each command unit to one of the numerical keys.
The command buildings will have the following five abilities, with the 'Q', 'W', 'E', 'R' and 'T' hotkeys respectively:

'Fight Normally': Commands the follower to fight normally, that is, the same way they do in the current release.

'Conserve Mana': Commands the follower to continue to fight but not to cast any spells.

'Heal Us': Commands the follower to disengage from combat, stand back and start throwing out healing spells. Healing spells cast in this 'mode' have a reduced mana cost.

'Heal Me': Commands the follower to disengage from combat, stand back and start throwing out healing spells where neccessary. The difference between this and 'Heal Us' is that the follower will ignore the other followers in this case and only heal Kyrus.

'Stay Here': Commands the follower to remain at his location until otherwise ordered. Note that triggers that move the follower will still do so.

It is my hope that this system will add a new element to God RPG. This system will be present in the next version (alpha 0.25), which we hope to release in a few days.

Tiranasta
ShadowNasta Productions

Level 5
Hm. Do you think that an 'Attack This' command would be fitting? The reason I'm hesitant to add this is that for all the other commands you just press the command unit's hotkey, press the hotkey, then press F1 to go back to Kyrus. 'Attack This' would have to be targeted.

Tiranasta
ShadowNasta Productions

Level 5
A summary

This is a summary of the changes in the next version (including those not yet added in):

* AI system implemented. It's functionality is described a few posts above this one.
* All of Athens reterrained.
* Completely rescripted the 'invasion' of Athens (that pitiful little group of skeletons that got owned by the guards won't be so pitiful this time).
* Completely rescripted the Thanatos encounter.
* A large and completely new area added, with its own boss.
* Levelling is now automated through triggers rather than experience from enemies. This is to more easily regulate how powerful the group will be across all difficulty settings. In general, levelling will be slightly less common, but will have a slightly greater effect.
* The Warrior of Hades has a new ability.

Those are the changes I can think of off the top of my head. The new version should be released some time in the next few days.

Tiranasta
ShadowNasta Productions

Level 5
Yes, the new ability is to compensate for the fact that your greater control over the AI would make the fight easier. Our intention is that the fight be just as hard as before, but no harder.

Oh, just a random fact that Shadowz would probably prefer I not tell you - he was never able to beat the Warrior of Hades on Champion difficulty either.

Tiranasta
ShadowNasta Productions

Level 5
The Undead have been hard at work making themselves feel at home within the Athens Outskirts. So has Shadowz, incidentally.

Tiranasta
ShadowNasta Productions

Attachments

• The New Athens.JPG
    The New Athens.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 127
  • The Warrior of Hades.JPG
    The Warrior of Hades.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.