• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Goblin Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Introduction:

First of all, let me make a fast introduction. This map is supposed to be a battle over the dominance of a medium-sized fortress. In one side, there are the members of the Resistance, Goblins and Orcs trying to keep their base in one piece. On the other side, there are Humans and Dwarves responding to the threat that such Resistance could offer to the Alliance. The war is long and very difficult, and in this map we will have one of the most fascinating of all of them.
Let's talk about the Resistance. At the beginning, goblins were worth of only small attention. Even with their vast knowledge of technology, their lack of organization never allowed them to cause big havoc in the lands claimed to be from the Alliance. However, their lack of unity were not only due to their nature, as the Alliance used to think, but due to a huge amount of small issues as well (land, weather, communication, etc.). So, in a convenient moment, where all the issues happened to be absent, all goblins began to unify. The first sign of such event was the appearance of the deity Xamuh, always represented in Goblin's flags. Not too long after that, skirmishes and ambushes with a level of tactics higher than normal began to happen all over the island of Humme. The Orcs, that always were in war with the Alliance, found a good opportunity to strike the Alliance, by forming the Resistance force with the Goblins.
The roots of the Alliance are not very known even between the oldest sages of the world. Beyond the belief that Humans and Dwarves were quite compatible to such situation, there is just the confirmation that both Humans and Dwarves are beings that always tried to spread dominance all over the world. There are no registers of how all began. Actually, it's not like the sages don't know, but more like they just ignored the cause of their present situation, given the nature of Humans, the rest was just pretty obvious.

The War:

The battle happens in the island of Humme. The war is spreading to all the world, but Goblin Defense (name of the map) will focus on the island. It's a mix of a Risk, Defense and Melee types of maps. There will be no heroes on Goblin Defense. In the beginning, the player will have to choose one of two races, for each Force (Alliance or Resistance). So, in total, there are four races. The objective of the Alliance is to invade the fortress of the Resistance, while the last's objective is to resist for a certain amount of minutes. But this is not exactly already determined, it may change before the first release of the map.
It will be a 3v5 game, 3 players from the Resistance that will be in the fortress, and 5 players from the Alliance that will invade it. I'm thinking on having 6 players for the invasion, that may change too. The idea is to put more from the Alliance than from the Resistance, since the Resistance will have the advantage of having a fortress and some units that aren't stronger than the units from the other force, but are better suited to such situation. The best would be that the game always happened at full house, but it can happen pretty well with less than full house. It is not the ideal, but, of course, it is playable.
The battle will happen in the following situation: the Alliance must invade the fortress, and the Resistance must find desperately an way to respond. The ranged units can attack from the walls, but the melee must find an way to be of some use. So, for that matter, there are catapults all over the fortress, for just one purpose. Throw the combatants to the other side of the wall. Simply as that. The Resistance must not let the Alliance hit the Gates, and all means are necessary. For Orcs and Goblins, definitely the ends justify the means. Many battles will happen in the battlefield just outside the walls. For that matter, there won't be just three ways from the Alliance base to the fortress. There will be three ways that takes to the fortress AND many sideways crossing the battlefield, connecting many spots and all. In such situation, skirmishes and ambushes are very welcome, and the Resistance's units will be designed to attend such plot.

Units:

As i said before, there will be no heroes. The units will be the cogwheels of the war. Each one of the races will have 7 types of units, divided in 3 tiers. The first tier with 2 units, the second with 3 units and the third with 2 units. Every unit will have one specific role to play in battle and all units will have combos and counters to other units that will depend only on the player's imagination. I'm trying my best to make units with very different abilities. The most have no triggers at all, but used in very distinct roles. Here are some of the units and their abilities that are already determined:

Goblins:

Tier 1:

Goblin Bomber

Model created by ColdStar

This is the Goblin Bomber, an unit suited to situations of hit and run attacks. He has two abilities, in which one depends entirely on the another. First, he must build the Bomb Shelter, a small building. It should be built in the battlefield, but nothing stops the player from building it inside the fortress. When the Bomb Shelter is built, and only one can be built for each Goblin Bomber, it will provides to the owner Bombs, so that the Bomber might cause some havoc in the Alliance. It might be a little complicated, but it has the most amount of damage in a single shot from all the game (and still stuns for one second). The bombs are recharged in every 40 seconds (if it's too little, than i will make it longer). The Goblin Bomber has only this mean to attack, so use it carefully.

Incinerator

Model created by donut 3.5

This one is the basic melee unit from the Goblins. It has no ability, but hits very hard. It's very cheap and fast to build, so it's a good unit even for tier 1. There is not much to talk about this one, actually.

Tier 2:

Demolisher

Model created by donut 3.5

Here we have not just a drill, but a very dangerous trapper. It is a medium melee unit with the following ability: he can burrow, just as a crypt fiend, and when he comes up, he deals damage to any nearby enemies.

Final comment: these three units are already pretty determined in the Goblin's race. There will be yet the Goblin Mechanic, the Mobile Mortar, the Vulcan and the Goblin Artillery, but they might change someday, so i will not post them now.

Orcs:

Tier 1:

Grunt:

Grunt model by Blizzard

I guess that the Grunt could not miss in the Orc's arsenal. But here he has a pretty distinct role to play. He is the so known light melee unit that hits quite hard. However, always that a grunt is thrown by the catapult to the battlefield, he slams the ground dealing damage to nearby enemies and slows them as well. As the goblin commander Kobra says: "as we are in short of rocks, they turn out to be good options".

Troll:

Model created by levigeorge1617

The trolls are not missing either in the Orc's force. They are light ranged units with an important ability to use. The so known Esnare. It is very important because the Alliance has a fountain in their base, and since keeping their units alive will be very important for their economics (which will be explained why later), Esnare is very needed in Goblin Defense.

Tier 2:

Scout

I remember that i downloaded this model from the Hive, but now that i'm looking for the creator, i can't seem to find his name. Can someone help me with this?

Scouting plays a very important role in Goblin Defense's battlefield. Keeping loyal eyes in the field is essential to know from where the enemy is approaching and what units are coming, to better prepare for the offensive. The Scout is an unit that has After Image and Shadow Concealment (very common term in Goblin Defense, since the invisibility is treated in a whole new way around there). After Image is the same as Blink, with some difference towards special effects and such. Shadow Concealment is invisibility, and how the invisibility works will be explained in the Extra Comments, in the end of the post.

Orc Commander

Model created by ProFeT

It's a medium melee unit with an the Leadership aura. It works just like the Endurance Aura, but in Goblin Defense this can be very deadly. The units are designed to have low life and high DPS. So, the battles will be very fast and quickly decided, depending on the skill of the player (you could say that, in this part, i'm inspired in Starcraft, where the battles were pretty fast to be decided).

Fighter

Model created by jigrael

I said that ambushes are quite the possibility in Goblin Defense, and the Fighter enforces that. They are medium melee units capable of using two abilities: Jump and Berserk. They are pretty simple. Berserk is the same one from the Blizzard. Jump, thanks to Paladon's system, is exactly what it means: the Fighter jumps to the target point. It is good because normal units, when thrown by the catapults, cannot go back until the Gates are destroyed, while the Fighter can. The other good point of the ability is that he can hide in the trees, jumping to the middle of them. While hiding there, when the time is appropriate, they can jump back and do what they can of best: use Berserk and cause big havoc.

Tier 3:

Berserker

Model created by Oniwaga

Berserker is a heavy melee unit, very destructive. He has 3 abilities. Permanent Immolation, Sulfur's Track and Desintegrate. Permanent Immolation is, well.....a Permanent Immolation. Sulfur's Track works like this: any enemy unit in a very wide range, quite away from the Berserker's vision, will feel the smell of sulfur. That smell won't do anything to him, no damage or bad status. It will just alert to them that there is a Berserker approaching them. But, here is the deal. There may be many uses to such ability. Berserker is a very deadly unit, worth of serious consideration. So, the Sulfur's Track can be used to alert that he is nearby, but that can be a bluff, since the smell of sulfur will stay for some while after the Berserker is gone. To the approaching Alliance troop, so, there will be the question: is it safe to proceed in this direction? Well, Desintegrate is simpler. It cause a big explosion where the Berserker is, dealing damage and slowing nearby enemies. It has a pretty big cooldown, so see the best opportunity to use it.

Trapper

Model created by Blizzard (Shaman)

The Trapper can cause enourmous headaches. He has two abilities, pretty simple ones. The Death Trap and the Stasis Trap. The Death Trap is just a land mine and the Stasis Trap is the same one from the Blizzard.

Extra Comments:

Well, i have some more units to post, but i don't have the patience to put them here now. I will just add some more comments and see what you guys think about it.
First, about the invisibility. It works in a different way here. Units that have the Shadow Concealment will be invisible, but if any unit that have the Shadow Vision ability approach them very closely, they will be revealed. All units have Shadow Vision, except for the mechanical units, which are more common in the Goblin's race. Burrowed units and traps are only revealed by the Outpost (Human's building, but they are not going to be explained today, so leave it to later).
As for the resources, the players won't need to be managing workers and this kind of stuff. Gold will come periodically. All units cost only gold. And there is another resource: the Tech Point. Represented by a cogwheel, the Tech Point means what you can spend in Upgrades, and only that. All kinds of Upgrades will be considered, from normal ones to abilities and all.
The Alliance and the Resistance have different manners to manage their resources. The Resistance gets Gold and Tech Points over time, and when a Resistance's players kill a certain amount of enemies, they get extra Gold and Tech Points. With the Alliance, that works in a different way. Since there are just a few players playing as the Resistance, there won't be many units for the Alliance to kill (but it's the case of the Resistance, with plenty of options of how to kill Alliance's units, since it has more players on that side). So, the Alliance's resources works in the following way: there is a building in the middle of their base that trades Gold for Tech Points and Tech Points for Gold. And there will be a fountain there too. So, instead of losing one unit, the Alliance can save it, send it to the fountain, recover it and, instead of not buying another one, it gets the injured one to be as good as new (now you know why the Esnare can be useful).

As for the time for the map to be released, i guess it will take some more months to it. I already spent one month and a half and i have 40% of the terrain completed, 30% of the units, 70% of the ideas (even if that measure is quite subjective) and 90% of the models, all downloaded from here (and credits, of course, will be given). Share with me some ideas, if you want to, and criticize some parts as well. I'm not sure if all those ideas are going to be as useful as i'm saying here (i hope they are), but i'm sure that i will take this map to the end. I'm sorry if i wrote wrong anything, but english is not my native language and most of the rules that i used here are actually comparations that i make with my native language (which i guess that it worked pretty well).

Last edited:
Level 2
I'm glad that you liked the ideas. As for any help, i'm planning to do most of the work by myself, but that is not something that i can precisely measure right now. For now, i guess that i can ensure that i will need some external help for the loading image, but i don't know what role that will play on the size of the map, so i will make specifics requests for that only later. By the way, thanks for the consideration.

Level 2
Yeah, i thought about that too. But, to be exactly, the Berserker is more a monster than an orc (but still an orc). His sound set is that of a dire wolf and he is not so "social" as any other (even if no orcs are much, anyway, but he has none of this characteristic). But, if it comes to be convenient, i will put some pants for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.