• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gladiator Arena - What do you think??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey, the map I am working on is Gladiator Arena, I am only about, I would say 55% done with the map. It is an arena map where a group of 8 gladiators fight in multiple arenas 1v1, 4v4, and Free For All. They also will buy items with a fairly large recipe system while waiting for the next arena. The first gladiator to reach the arena win limit wins and is declared the greatest gladiator of all time.

Now, what I need are some thoughts on some current map features and some desired map features as well as any that anyone else wants to throw in.

Just give some feedback on any of the following areas or give some new ideas

Current map features:
-1v1 arena
-team arena (4v4)
-FFA (free for all)
-Win money for arenas/kills
-expensive items/tomes

Desired map features:
-Lots of recipe items with multiple levels.
-Boss Arena (the whole team fights one powerful boss for money)
-Mob Arena (the whole team fights against a copious group of creeps)
-Money loss on death+banking system to save money with interest

Debatable features that might be added (Please talk about these the most):
-RPG aspect to it, where while waiting for an arena you may do quests/kill groups of monsters outside of the gladiator city.
-custom gladiator models for each gladiator (not sure how many heroes there would be if this is implemented, considering there probably are not many gladiator models out for grabs)
-More realistic skills (if gladiator models are implemented) to make it have more of a old day gladiator arena feel instead of a warcraft 3 gladiator arena feel.

Also, if you are interested in this idea, feel free to pm me about joining the developement team. Currently the Official development team includes me and Zypher. The team needs a good terrainer, good creative quest maker, and someone who could make a lot of creative item recipes.

Last edited:
Level 7
If you're going to add quests then wait time in between fights should be really long (or have really short quests)

You should also add a man vs beast part (maybe for the boss arena) because they regularly did that back then. Elephants, tigers, chariots etc

Level 8
if you have a large recipe system it needs to be very logical else people wont learn it

If you're going to add quests then wait time in between fights should be really long (or have really short quests)

You should also add a man vs beast part (maybe for the boss arena) because they regularly did that back then. Elephants, tigers, chariots etc

Quoted for truth.

Level 3
Yah, I was planning on making the wait time between arenas pretty long, if I add all of the rpg ideas to the map. Because if I add the rpg ideas, it is going to change the whole aspect of the game and make arena just a side part instead of the main event. As for the Man Vs Beast, thank you for that, I was just going to do a boss like Lich or something, but that is a creative idea, I will do lions and some mythical ogres or so that are in some gladiator tales for the bosses.

The item recipe is planned to be relatively simple without random names that don't correlate. Such as short sword+magic dust = magic sword. If people can't learn that then well...they need to stop playing warcraft so much and take soem schooling? Lol.

Still need more feedback!!! Keep it coming!!!

Last edited:
Level 7
lol so it's a realistic-fantasy kind of map?
If that's the case then ALL the bosses should be all out insane like hydras, minotaur + maze, oh and maybe you could make gladiators on chariot versus centaurs.

And if you wanna really turn it into an rpg, then make the story about winning your freedom, win enough fights, win the crowd and eventually win your freedom. Gladiators weren't really the luckiest of guys, apart from the possibility of dying at every moment, they were slaves. Forced to fight in the games until they die or in some cases, win their freedom. But a storyline might be hard to do since it's multiplayer :D

EDIT: Reading back, I don't think my post would really help you xD lol

Level 3
lol so it's a realistic-fantasy kind of map?
If that's the case then ALL the bosses should be all out insane like hydras, minotaur + maze, oh and maybe you could make gladiators on chariot versus centaurs.

And if you wanna really turn it into an rpg, then make the story about winning your freedom, win enough fights, win the crowd and eventually win your freedom. Gladiators weren't really the luckiest of guys, apart from the possibility of dying at every moment, they were slaves. Forced to fight in the games until they die or in some cases, win their freedom. But a storyline might be hard to do since it's multiplayer :D

EDIT: Reading back, I don't think my post would really help you xD lol

Lol, not really I was going to do that anyways, but thanks for the input. I figure the storyline would be that the gladiators are friends, however need to do better than the other friends so that THEY can win freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.