• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Geoset question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Hey guys can i ask a quick question what are geoset's used for? And what are there purposes?
Model geometry is divided into geosets. Each combination of textures and material properties is a separate geoset. All triangles in a particular geoset are always made (in)visible at the same time (with geoset animations). Each geoset can only use one material, but a material can be used by multiple geosets.

By the way, this doesn't belong in the World Editor Help Zone; you can ask questions about modeling here.

Level 9
Model geometry is divided into geosets. Each combination of textures and material properties is a separate geoset. All triangles in a particular geoset are always made (in)visible at the same time (with geoset animations). Each geoset can only use one material, but a material can be used by multiple geosets.

By the way, this doesn't belong in the World Editor Help Zone; you can ask questions about modeling here.
Oh..... Okay one last question does every unit have or need to have a geoset?in WC3

Level 9
Unit models are made out of solid geometry, so they have geosets. However, geosets are not required for a model to be functioning; many special effects are only made out of particle emitters and don't have any geosets.
So are geosets are like add-ons on actions or appearance of a unit?

Level 9
So if geosets are based on the shape of the unit so can geosets be also the appearance of a unit? for example the spell breakers have a mask,glaive and shield are they also geosets the units clothing or weapon like that sort of thing?

Level 12
Yes they are, but it is more complex than that.

The shapes you will find in the model's geosets. Sometimes they are in separate geosets, some other times they are grouped together, depending if the maker of the model needed separate parts for the animations.

But the geosets themselves are invisible without a texture.

In Warcraft 3, even in reforged, clothes are usually in the main body geoset, sometimes even weapons are attached. Sometimes it isn't there is no strict rule in the matter.

Level 21
So if geosets are based on the shape of the unit so can geosets be also the appearance of a unit? for example the spell breakers have a mask,glaive and shield are they also geosets the units clothing or weapon like that sort of thing?
As I already said, everything that needs to have its own material or visibility settings is a separate geoset.

As for your Spell Breaker example, the unit's body is the first geoset; his mask, shield and robe are a separate geoset because those parts have team color; the weapon is a separate geoset because it disappears during the attack animation; the glowing orb that appears during the spell animation is a separate geoset because it's not visible in other animations and also because it uses a different texture; the corpse is a separate geoset because it only appears during the decay animations and uses its own texture.

If you want to get familiar with Warcraft 3 models and understand their components, I suggest you start by trying out some simple model editors and free modeling tools (Retera's Model Studio, Matrix Eater, Mdlvis, War3 Model Editor). You can also find some helpful tutorials here.

Level 9
Ohh..... Okay i understand thank you Hermit and Macadamia your answers were very understandable i may try to do modeling someday if i have free time

Status
Not open for further replies.