• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Genesis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello hello everybody, it's the one and only, yours truly.
Bringing freshly backed and rugged pieces around.

Despair and praise (if it's the case).

P.S ran out of lasagnas :_;

Attachments

• genetic2.png
    genetic2.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 422
Last edited:
stop spamming rocks.
Your heart's made out of stones :p
that's the last thing that you need to learn
Already did but I'm not making tree hugers just for that. I wanted a rocky scene and that's what I made.

I want to keep it as clean and minimalistic as possible.

Probably going to sound nitpicky, but an extra range of hills even further back could enhance the feel of open vastness.
hmm, I'll see if I can fit that in.

Last edited:
Level 36
This terrain lacks a decent background, for certain.
It also lacks a sense of nature, more civilization.

You'd think a gigantic floating thing like that would merit a little more...
Constructions and such surrounding it.

And, I might have been playing a bit too much Heroes of the Storm, but...
Somehow I just can't get the idea that, instead of water, you should use the
alpha tile under the floating thing and make some galaxy shizzle under
there, you know, like a dimensional portal or something, out of my head.

Level 10
looks great IMO,

one possible way to fill the background would be to add more of this pylons/nodes (one a bit closer, others far away on the horizon --> just blue beams that go into the sky), this would also make it possible so somehow add glowing lines (leylines???) between these nodes. This could improve the feel of distance and size, I guess

Level 13
Well thats very nice if you ask me, I loved it maybe a different rock and tree color would do nice.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I'm with the general consensus here. If you cut the picture in half, the rock use in the bottom half is fine, but the upper half is repetitive and monochromatic. Clear off some rocks and work with tiles and environmental assets. Also the pines you are using look akward in the distance. Because of scaling incongruence, sparsity, and model used.

Centrepiece is really cool and the lighting works well with it.

I just really don't like the hi-res models everyone's using now, in general.
I really only dislike it when it's unrenderable single piece/single use stuff, e.g. complete buildings, combined environmental mashes (tree, shrubs and rocks combined for reference), etc. Otherwise it's just a new set of legos to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.