1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

GangSta RAP

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dark Master, Apr 4, 2009.

1. arafor

arafor

Resources:
    Resources:
    Add some beats to it and some melody and that might just be rap I mena I might not liek YOUR particular rap but that doesnt mean their aint good rap out there.

2. Grog50

Grog50

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    99.9% of the music I listen to is not rap, mostly metal. (see grog50?s Music Profile ? Users at Last.fm , this is my lastfm)
    HOWEVER, as of late I have taken a liking to Tech N9ne. When i listen to any rap i feel pretty damn sick though. =D
    I like quite a lot of music however, so my opinions are probably not shared. I at least can recognize that some rappers have a lot of talent. ONLY some though.

3. Dreadnought[dA]

Dreadnought[dA]

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ok so maybe some people are good with words, I still don't see any musicianship. Poets are good with words (well some are) but they aren't called musicians. Tons of songs are based on poems, but you don't call the poet a master musician.

Rap isn't music. It's people thinking being stupid is being cool. I'll admit Metal doesn't really have much better lyrics on average, but at least they have good guitar playing! You either get rape, crime, drugs, and sex, or you get war, drugs, sex, and fantasy. With rap you get no instrumental talent, but with metal it's 90% instrumental talent.

4. Ham Ham

Ham Ham

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Rap cant be called a music. You just make a beat, and remix it in a music mixing program. After that, you put some things like "yo,yo, I'm a gangster, I have all the bitches and you suck because I'm rich yo! yo!"

Ever heard about Melodic/Power Metal? Bands like Hammerfall, Helloween... They have pretty damn beautyfull lyrics.

5. Grog50

Grog50

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Thats like saying abstract art isnt art. Anyways I can see everyones point on how how its not melodic or anything, but saying it isnt music is not fair.

QFT

The lyrics below are to "obzen" by a band called Meshuggah. They are very prominent in the world of metal. Dont even try to tell me this isnt poetry

A state of perfection, immersed in filth
    Equilibrium obtained
    Pure in devotion to all things unwell
    This sweet zen of our ill condition sustained

A new belief-system
    Salvation found in vomit and blood
    Where deprivation, lies
    Corruption, war and pain is god

Balance
    Harmony found in the sickly, the vile
    Unflinching eyes, joyous and gleeming
    Intense in their need to watch things die

A new belief-system
    Salvation found in vomit and blood
    Where deprivation, lies
    Corruption, war and pain is god

Decay, disgrace, disgust - our state of zen

The grime of contempt and degeneration,
    Sticky, foul and pungent
    - The sediment of our creation
    We flourish in this bloodred soil

6. Pins

Pins

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Bad choice, Meshuggah is one of the most impressive band... musically-speaking, for they use ternary beats mixed my normal one yet always manage to groove. So yeah, they're proeminent, mainly because they rule. They have an unique science of groove.
    Those lyrics ain't uninteresting also, but the "gore" thing is pretty obvious, and even if it is used as a shock factor of the contrast, it's not easy to go through it if you're not used to. Well, elitism is not a huge drawback.

Oh and comparing "metal" and "rap" = stupid. It's not the same kind of music, expression culture, aim, target, world. As I said before even though I'm what most of sheeps would call a "metalhead", I enjoy some rap artists (none from that "gangsta" rap joke). I don't listen to them for the same reasons I listen to metal, industrial or such.

This said, I do not condone any of Ham Ham arguments you quoted, because the "it is not music" stuff is not interesting (ANYTHING is music, for music is just a bunch of sounds and does not mean anything) and because power metal lyrics usually make me laugh.

7. Grog50

Grog50

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Meshuggahs "Gore" thing is no where near as retarted as Cannibal Corpses haha. Glad to know someone else gets meshuggah though. And how did you get elitism out of that?
    I wasnt trying to compare metal and rap if I did, because as you said thats extremely pointless.
    And of course power metal lyrics make you laugh, thats why they are so awesome.

8. Dreadnought[dA]

Dreadnought[dA]

Resources:
    Resources:
    LOL HELLOWEEN? HAMMERFALL? WTF They have terrible lyrics. And this melodic/flower metal crap sounds all the same. They try to sound epic or mysterious but they all fail. There are very very few power metal bands I would consider great. Iced Earth, Tad Morose are ok, &... Maybe a few Iron Maiden songs. I used to really like Firewind, but every one of their damn albums sound exactly the same.

9. Pins

Pins

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Iron Maiden has no link with "power" metal, they did it before, and better. Some bands are still nice, like Iced Earth as you said.
    @Grog50 : I can get elitism out of anything :p
    Cannibal Corpse are not interesting for their lyrics but for their sound which is quite interesting. Thing is, most CC fanboys I've met are basicly like "LOL GORE AND SEX = AWESOME" and they don't really enjoy the music. Which is far less easy to "enjoy" that it seems, in my opinion, yet I still prefer their old albums (without corpsegrinder), with the exception of "Kill" which is amazing.
    I never really thought about reading power metal lyrics as jokes, thanks for the imput, I may even grow to like power metal, haha ;)
    Oh, that was a little off-topic, sorry. But there isn't really any musical thread out there, except that "what are you listening to" autistic thing.

10. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Anyone heard about deathstars?

11. Megafyr

Megafyr

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Rap is FTW.

I like all types of music, and even though some people manage to get a bad rep over their genre I consider that as a refreshing change and not necessarily bad.

12. Pins

Pins

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    You mean, listening to rap is a refreshing change or rap music is a refreshing change?

Yes. But in that rammstein/oomph/deathstars stuff I prefer Turmion Kätilöt and KMFDM. "Blitzkrieg" is still a pretty solid track.

13. Megafyr

Megafyr

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No I mean like some people complain about newer rap artists destroying hip hop. That's just lame, things change.

14. Dark Master

Dark Master

Resources:
    Resources:
    It`s true.

15. xxdingo93xx

xxdingo93xx

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Hip hop is great.

I mainly listen to hip hop, not rap.
    "Is there a difference?" Yup, there is. Hip hop has more tact and beats/bass then rap. So basically - I listen to hip hop you can dance on.
    I don't like german rap.

16. X.e.r.e.X

X.e.r.e.X

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I see a necro post?

17. warden13

warden13

Resources:
    Resources:
  18. Jughead

Jughead

Resources:
    Resources:
    Rock or Alternative.

19. syltman

syltman

Resources:
    Resources:
    Rap is awful becouse if you start to listen and like the music you'll start acting with the rap attitute. I always avoid rap.

20. xxdingo93xx

xxdingo93xx

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    That's nonsense. If it would be like you said, death metallers and alike should also act aggressive and violently like they sing. Dude, if you don't like hip hop/rap then say so, but don't say the outcomes are bad if you don't even know about that yourself.