• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gamecapture 1.24 Possible Trojan [FALSE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
While working on my computer today my McAfee Anti-Virus popped up and alerted me that a Trojan had been detected and deleted from the gamecapture 1.24 program that I had downloaded from the TKoK official website.

I just wanted to let those of you using it you may want to delete it ASAP. I'm uncertain if the Trojan was part of the program itself, or if it "piggy backed" in when I downloaded, but since either is possible its best air on the side of caution.

And I know most of you guys are thinking things along the lines; "Free anti-virus makes false positives all the time..." and "Your anti-virus is cheap junk..."

But my McAfee is a full version anti-virus, (aka I pay a yearly subscription to use it) and while I'm aware false positives happen sometimes with anti-virus, I'm 90% certain this was a real trojan and could have been in the program.

Just wanted to raise the alarm and make sure everyone was aware of this. :grin:

Regards,

Jake

Level 16
Well, it's just a false positive even by the most cheap or advanced anti virus softwares. I've run full scans with many seperate scanners ranging from virus, worms, trojans, malware, etc. They would either pick this up as a low risk or trojan. So pretty much use this at your own risk.

Level 8
Many if not all anti-viruses will detect it as something malicious. But that's because of the way it works, not because it is. It injects itself into another program(WC3). For AVs that is a possible threat. In the end its nothing, it's just how it works.

This is the same as the JNGP. Most AVs will kill that cuz it does the same thing it injects itself into the WE. I think you have nothing to worry as long as you have downloaded it from a trusted site.

Level 9
You may be right, yet you may be wrong. Your explanation makes sense Rain but was the "[NOT REALLY]" truly necessary? Please remove that or reword it, it's kind of insulting...

Regards,

Jake

Level 8
Wait what? Your post is just false so I added a tag to state that when people read it. We have posted that program because its really way easier with it to get your code and people really make mistakes in their codes alot when they copy it manually. I just don't wan't them to be mislead that it is a virus. And why is it insulting, it's just a tag thats 100% true and should be there. The other thing I can do is delete the whole thread but I think it's good to have it so in the future when people find their AVs finding it as viruses they can know why it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.