• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Game slow/freezing cant play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hi I don;t know what to do, since heart of the swarm patch came out out my sc2 has been really really lagy, like so lagy i can not even enter the lobby to join games anymore.

I opened taskmanager and disabled agent.exe like people are telling me to do but it it STILL lags really bad.

Also Make me host on warcraft 3 lags really badly for me now so much so that I get booted from every lobby due to high ping :(

I don't know if the two are related? I havnt noticed nay decrease in internet speed on my browser.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
If you are referring to lag as high ping (not frame rate) then it sounds like something is eating all your bandwidth. It may be a process (like a file sharing client or virus) or another device (video streaming on TV, game console downloading a game etc).

Make sure you have SC2 updated 100% before trying to play, even if you can start earlier, do not.

Level 7
If you are referring to lag as high ping (not frame rate) then it sounds like something is eating all your bandwidth. It may be a process (like a file sharing client or virus) or another device (video streaming on TV, game console downloading a game etc).

Make sure you have SC2 updated 100% before trying to play, even if you can start earlier, do not.

Hey Supergood, thanks for the advice but I think I have tried all those, my sc2 is 100% up to date, I have Norton anti virus and have run scans, there is no malicious software on my computer, there are no file sharing applications on my computer running while I play and I can not understand why it's not working.
All other aspects of my internet seem fine (no lag when p,laying youtube files etc).

I have found out on that only make me host games lag for me on wc3, i can play games hosted by other bots fine but wc2 is inexplicitly broken for me. I will try reinstalling sc2 and see if that helps but I'm not sure what I can do about MMH lag, maybe they've changed the location of their server for something.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Check the packet loss of your connection. What you are describing is really likely connection related. Using a wireless network for example can cause what you describe.

Youtube does rely on real time communication you might find that even if you lose your internet ever 5 seconds for a length of 1 second it will still work fine. Youtube buffers ahead so can cope with sporadic downloading.

Level 7
How do I go about checking my packet loss? Yes I am on a wireless conection! But I used to fine on this wireless conection until afew weeks ago, its is definitly sporadic as you describe, one minute my ping is low the next it rockets up!

This has only caused problems on MMH games and SC2 (I am play diablo 3 fine but then I expect the game requires less broadband.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
But I used to fine on this wireless conection until afew weeks ago, its is definitly sporadic as you describe, one minute my ping is low the next it rockets up!
Interference from another nearby wireless network or even some Radio Frequency source can cause this. If there are a lot of wireless devices active you can get a drop in wireless performance due to bandwidth sharing.

Wireless connections are not recommended for gaming. You should try to use a fixed connection (standard 100 mbps Ethernet is enough) as they generally are a lot more reliable.

This has only caused problems on MMH games and SC2 (I am play diablo 3 fine but then I expect the game requires less broadband.
StarCraft II uses state synchronization. All players in a session have the exact same internal game state for any given internal frame.
Diablo III uses state streaming. Only the Blizzard BattleNet servers have the actual game state, all you get is a snapshot of that state periodically with your client approximating the period between updates.

In the case of a sudden connection loss...
StarCraft II will have to pause all clients of your session until you respond. If you take too long to respond "Waiting for player" dialog appears.
Diablo III will keep running without you, even attacking if that was your last order. Eventually your connection will respond and it streams the current version of the game state to your client. This is a huge problem in Hardcore as players who disconnect due to some failure (power, network etc.) will remain in a running session for over 30 seconds until the TCP connection times out before the 10 second logout starts.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Unless the modem has developed some fault which is producing signal noise then it should not make much difference. If by old you mean ancient (like from very early 2000s) then your internet connection probably is not that good and struggling to cope with modern games at times.

Or Dial-up.
Damn, I feel old.

...I have Norton anti virus...

There's your problem, Jim.
Abandon thread.

Really.. though.. try port forwarding. Try setting the Sc2 client to realtime priority (in the task manager), try allowing the client and launcher through your firewall, reduce graphic settings, then call your ISP about potential packet loss. It may simply be their fault.
You can query the Sc2 login IP through command prompt to check for packet loss, but it's very in-depth and I forget how to do it properly. I believe the command is 'tracert [#IP]' or some form of the other. Try Googling it.

Edit: Pretty much everything I said was mentioned above (I actually decided to read it).
I had this exact same problem in my old town, as well as an overheating CPU. The two caused constant, unfixable lag.
I do also remember my ISP telling me theres nothing they can do, and that it was my fault (I had one of the largest ISPs in Canada). You may have to just switch.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Try setting the Sc2 client to realtime priority (in the task manager),
Please do not post things you have no idea about. Realtime priority is not meant for normal application usage, it is meant for realtime application usage. Realtime applications sacrifice processor performance to meat strict timing requirements. The reason Windows even offers this priority is so that it can be classed as a realtime operating system to some degree.

Failure to meet timing deadlines
normal process -> who cares
realtime process -> critical failure

Status
Not open for further replies.