Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Game Exports | Foo Fighters at BlizzCon 2011 | New StarCraft novel

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Rui, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Why should people want to submit models now? If they can just go export, convert & optimize a WoW model :goblin_cry:

I wonder, did you discuss wether or not submitting WoW models should show up on a users resource profile? No credit should be givin' to people who submits WoW models. No reputation points allowed.
    I wouldn't want them to show up when browsing models (people who are looking for WoW models should have to select a specific option redirecting them to Blizzard-works), neither would I want to see them show up on the front page. That place is reserved for creative people. Change this, and I will not care much for whomsoever made that change.

Modellers I implore you, NEVER stop sharing or creating your absolutely brilliant 3D works ! :goblin_good_job:

2. LordDz

LordDz

Resources:
    Resources:
    Force 'em all in a separate category "WOW-Models".

I thought the point in modelling was that ye actually liked what you do?
    What did this change? There have always been someone who is better than you and I , yet we still make maps and models.

3. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Indeed :) But accepting WOW models is against the Hive's standpoint which encourage users to be creative.

People might even choose a WOW model rather than a custom made model. I would really hate to see modellers works be forgotten simply because WOW models are allowed here on the site.

But I might overestimate WOW models :)

4. BlackArmsShadow

BlackArmsShadow

Resources:
    Resources:
    Only time will tell.

5. Miss_Foxy

Miss_Foxy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, hopefully there'll be a way to tell, maybe a section labelled Blizzard Models for models from Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo and World of Warcraft while another section would be the original, custom made ones.

Blizzard is starting to feel for some players who might need this so this could be a great forward step for them, glad to see Blizzard getting better with the community:)

6. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  7. Dionesiist

Dionesiist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Hey, you wow model fags, you still need to optimize them. Don't know what optimizing means? Well, too bad.

8. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This implied people would create the model if they couldn't export-convert-optimize. I doubt that, but if a modeler wants to speak out, please do.

That can be arranged, I think there's an option to change author if it's not yours, but still, we can use the Public Resource Provider.

My knowledge of web scripting languages is limited, and Ralle himself does not seem too comfortable with me working on that, so he'd have to arrange that himself. But I share of your concerns, and would like to see originality favored as well.

As for «where is Ralle in all this», we created a discussion thread on August 30 and came to a decision approximately one week later, I stated that I'd post this news announcement early-mid September but my computer started screwing up, and I forgot about it until now (actually I thought I had already posted it). So, it's been a month, I'm fairly sure that the staff members who did not participate in the debate (Ralle included) are in agreement.

I voted in favor because Blizzard, for what I know, has yet to release some art tools that make modelers' lives easier, and there are so many resources that could be of use in SC2. Plus, undeniably, Blizzard models are made by professionals who wouldn't have otherwise gotten their jobs.
    I love originality as much as you seem to -- really, I do, it's about the only thing that (would) still make(s) me mod (and/or play) Warcraft III --, but I feel that the resources provided by original modelers are insufficient or simply fail to meet the requirements of map makers most of the times, or, in more extreme cases, are downright useless. I state this as a map maker and I believe I can speak for other map makers out there. Most good modelers will be working for companies and not for free.
    What we did here is meant to help the transition from Wc3 to SC2, give everyone more and quicker opportunities in modding, and, in the end, for the enduring of the Hive Workshop itself.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  9. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You didn't consider this? It seems like this sudden change in policy wasn't considered thoroughly :goblin_cry:
    I'm sorry, what? Fairly sure i.e. you have no idea?

You did this without approval from the other admins? Ralle included?

Tell that to Tarrasque, Ampharos_222, Dionesiist, Nasrudin, Tranquil, Kwaliti, Pyramidhe@d, anarchianbedlam, SuPa-, TDR, Frankster, Kitabatake, shamanyouranus, Fingolfin and ALL those who contribute to this site's excellent, brilliant, unique and simply outstanding model-resource section (Sorry to all those I forgot to mention <3).

10. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think just about any user that does not know the model is from WoW will read the comments and/or description and understand it's from WoW. So yes, it is considered.

And no, fairly sure i.e. fairly sure. We cannot be waiting for everyone's participation or we'd only ever get things passed through after a year, and the waiting time's long enough. And I didn't do anything, the staff did.

Key word: most of the times.

11. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ^ you forgot GeneralFrank and HappyTauren, I think they've been (arguably) the biggest modelers. Just do WoW models in a thread like someone above mentioned and you wont have WoW models in model section, but one could add a new link among the |Models| Skins| etc. sections like |WoW Models|.

My position is: indifferent of any THW changes but who cares Im not a creator, just throwing a random idea

12. marko9

marko9

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Where to find wow models...someone should make Terraining map now not only with all the units but also with all the Doodads and Props inside WOW...WoOoW :)

13. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm glad you talked to Ralle about this. Got me worried there for a sec.

I will talk to Ralle more carefully about implementing this new policy.
    Certain criterias has to be met before it has my support.

I forgot all the users who've ever submitted a model to the Hive ;)
    Oh, and it's Frankster aka. GeneralFrank now. I actually thought HappyTauren still used the name TotallyAwesome (atleast that's how I know him).
    But yes, HappyTauren aka. TotallyAwesome is indeed worth highlighting. He helped me a lot in the past with a project of mine.

As for Foo Fighters performing at Blizzcon = WIN.

14. HeroSlayer

HeroSlayer

Resources:
    Resources:
    THIS IS AWESOME, I am a modeller, but I find making textures too much time consuming and fatiguing. Now I , and much other modellers, will have the chance to use Wow or Diablo III textures :)

This is an excellent change to the site, however, I totally agree with Archian about the "originality" of the projects

15. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    does this mean I can utilize WoW animations freely on some models?

16. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ye it means now you can do that here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOB059Q9_Gc&feature=player_embedded

17. Miss_Foxy

Miss_Foxy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Holy...
    Blizzard's so neat heh allowing that:)

18. NhazUl

NhazUl

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Triceron's actually using WC3 animations here. Anyway, that's what I'm gonna do as well, so I welcome the change.

19. PROXY

PROXY

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Game Exporting Rules

Did I missed something?

As of September 28, 2011, The Hive Workshop is accepting the exportation and use — in maps or mods — of artistic resources (skins, icons, and models) from games whose copyrights are owned by Activision Blizzard/Blizzard Entertainment.
    We do not accept exportations or use, no matter how minimal they are, of artistic resources whose copyrights are not owned by Blizzard in (all) our resource sections.

Requests forum: Users are allowed to export, modify and upload resources — admitting the number of solicited items is reasonable — at their discretion. There is no policy regarding the quality or degree of modification of such exports within this particular forum ONLY.
    The staff decides whether or not the number of requested resources is reasonable.

Maps: Maps may now utilize exports from other Blizzard games. Unlike in many of the other sections, we will not request that the resources you use in your map are fitting with the game, but your discernment on their use will be subject to the evaluation of our Map Moderators.
    If your map has been previously rejected on grounds of Blizzard copyright infringement, you may request for it to be restored in the Map Resource Moderation.

Skins: Arbitrary uploading of exported textures is not condoned. Skin Moderators will allow copy-and-paste (CnP) in your textures to a degree, but The Hive strongly encourages the production of original work.

Icons: You are allowed to utilize icons from Blizzard games other than Warcraft III (WC3) or StarCraft II (SC2) as base images. However, every icon that you upload to our Icon or SC2 Resources sections is still subject to the at-least-75%-freehand rule as well as the requirements of proper bordering and formatting in order to suit the destined game environment.

Models: Any exported model that you upload to our Models or SC2 Resources sections must be formatted properly to be fitting with other models of the destined game. For example, the difference on the number of polies of a WoW-to-WC3 model and other WC3 models must not be too high, and WC3-to-SC2 models must receive proper diffuse, emmisive and specular textures.

Note that any resources you upload, wherever you upload them, on the Hive Workshop, have to have Blizzard mentioned as the original authors if a part, no matter how small it is, of the resource has been designed using Blizzard resources. This can be done in a post where you attached exports or in a resource's description.

20. Sky Green

Sky Green

Resources:
    Resources:
    So created by <NAME> credits to Blizzard? :p