• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Game and Editor won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
So my game and (standard) World Editor were working perfectly fine a few days ago, now neither of them will start. The game gives "Warcraft 3 was unable to initialize. Error 3." while the editor gives "Unable to open 'War3.mpq' ".

Does anyone know how to fix this (restarting the computer didn't help, and the only official link from Blizzard I found is a site that no longer exists)? My version was 1.3.0, and the only thing I did with the mpq was download it (that is, not move it from the Warcraft folder) and put it in the Model Editor folder.

Last edited:
Level 4
Hi there! :peasant-waving:

Few weeks ago I'm found the same trouble before update to 1.31.1.12164 version.

After update, I'm still had this issue whit the World Editor, so I'm opened the Warcraft III launcher and clicked in Repair. After that, the same trouble whit the World Editor persist:"Unable to open 'War3.mpq' ".

So I'm went to the Warcraft III folder (Program Files(x86), in my case) and saw 2 new Folders, you must have them I suppose (I don't know if this folders exits in the 1.30 version). They are: "x86" and "x86_64".
Due my PC its 64 bits, I open the last one (if you have 32, try the other folder). Inside they have also a .exe of Warcraft III and World Editor.

The others WorldEditor.exe still give me the same issue "Unable to open 'War3.mpq' " but this World Editor.exe located in "x86_64" run for me without problems.

I hope to have expressed myself clearly and may this help you, luck whit that!:peasant-victory:

EDIT: an bug of this last update, as I understand it, does not allow the AI of the heroes to learn skills, which happened to me. If this also happens to you, you would have to edit the maps and solve this (whit triggers for example) or play against an AI that does not use skills.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
So I'm went to the Warcraft III folder (Program Files(x86), in my case) and saw 2 new Folders, you must have them I suppose (I don't know if this folders exits in the 1.30 version). They are: "x86" and "x86_64".
Due my PC its 64 bits, I open the last one (if you have 32, try the other folder). Inside they have also a .exe of Warcraft III and World Editor.
64bit Windows can run both x86-64 and x86 thanks to WOW64 (Windows on Windows64).

For map making it is recommended to use the x86 World Editor as the x86-64 one has several well known bugs and stability problems.

Level 4
64bit Windows can run both x86-64 and x86 thanks to WOW64 (Windows on Windows64).

For map making it is recommended to use the x86 World Editor as the x86-64 one has several well known bugs and stability problems.

Oh, I had no idea of that feature. It seemed strange to me that it was somewhat slower and unstable. Thank you for mentioning it!
I'll try the other one.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It seemed strange to me that it was somewhat slower and unstable.
Warcraft III was not designed with x86-64 in mind, as such there clearly have been some porting issues. In compliance with modern Blizzard practices it is possible that going forward only the x86-64 build will be offered, as is the case with most of Blizzard's recent games.

One can expect that by the time Reforged launches the quality of the x86-64 build will have vastly improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.