• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gaias 1.3 (possible future WC3 1.31 patch content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
With the new possibilities added in WC3 patch 1.30, I can finally add some stuff that I could never do before, allowing me to completely overhaul some of the core features of Gaias in a rebuild project Gaias Retaliation Version 1.3.

All of these features are fairly simple to implement for me and produce a low amount of extra work; so I can implement them relatively quickly after the next WC3 patch (Unfortunately, I can't implement them right now, as I need to wait for the next patch to fix an issue with the editor). Some of these features even fix bugs with existing systems (looking at you, Blackfire Deep...) by simply removing the bugged components entirely.

Here's the core of what will be changed in 1.3:

1) Codeless Save/Load with extended filesize
Gaias will finally be able to load and save heroes directly from the hard drive, which pretty much opens up endless expandability on what can be saved in the process.
When starting or repicking, you will now be able to select all your saved heroes from an ingame menu instead of having to manage all your saves manually.

2) Extended inventory
With code-based saving out of the window, I can extend the inventory beyond the current technical limitations easily, allowing me to replace the material bag with another normal bag and making crafting materials regular items that can be held in any of these bags.

3) New equipment system
Equipment will no longer be selected from a static pool of premade items. Instead, dropping items will be randomized according to item level and quality grade as known from games like Diablo or Divinity: Original Sin.
Only Legendary items will still exist as custom designed premade items, while other quality grades will be procedurally generated.

4) Upgrading/Enchanting/Socketing system
Either of this is possible. For simplicity reasons, only one of these systems will be implemented; I haven't decided on which and how it will work exactly, though.

5) Souls and Artifacts and Vault saves
With the new equipment system, these systems will be redundant and will be removed entirely, as I can implement similar purpose within an upgrading/enchanting/socketing system.

6) Blackfire Rewards
With the new equipment system, there is no more reason for ethereal items and specific Blackfire Rewards to exist, as I can now scale Blackfire item rewards proportional to the Blackfire progress.
Which means you will eventually be able to get gear inside of Blackfire Deep that goes beyond the item level of what you can currently get in the outside world - assuming you can make it this far.

7) Special vendors
With the new equipment system, I can dynamically adjust vendors to always offer meaningful equipment possibilities so that gold and Mana Crystals will always be useful. Perhaps I can even allow for an upgradable personal vendor that can be shared by all characters of a player account, to make up for the loss of account persistency with the removal of souls and artifacts.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
This is great news.
However, I have to return to the old point of view: The same content in a new dress is... underwhelming. If you also add the first new content in the process of adding the above it will be perfect. I am dying to get some new bosses (early D4), quests, spell choices for advanced classes (1handed zerker? 2h/ or strength crusader? Poison dps druid? Just to mention a few), and while your plan is delicious icing, the cake is still the same without these fundamental additions.

That said, these ideas of yours are very good. Personally I think an upgrade or enchanting system would be preferable to socketing, since Warcraft 3's interface is a bit awkward for showing something like sockets - at least from the custom inventory systems we've seen so far in Warcraft 3.

Last edited:

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
This is great news.
However, I have to return to the old point of view: The same content in a new dress is... underwhelming. If you also add the first new content in the process of adding the above it will be perfect. I am dying to get some new bosses (early D4), quests, spell choices for advanced classes (1handed zerker? 2h/ or strength crusader? Poison dps druid? Just to mention a few), and while your plan is delicious icing, the cake is still the same without these fundamental additions.
The problem is that changing something gameplay related as equipment items will affect encounter balancing, which will make all my attempts of designing new content prior to this change meaningless.
It's better to change the item system first and then create new content than the reverse.

Also, it's the teaching how to fish or give a man a fish thing:
Implementing the new item system will greatly reduce the time it takes to create new content, as I don't have to worry about creating items, setting up droptables, stealtables, implementing crafting recipes, etc. anymore, which reduces the workload on content design by about 70-80%.

Some other changes even allow me skip some stuff I would have to deal with before I can create new content, like removing some buggy systems, etc.

Besides: Don't overestimate the amount of work this takes to implement. As all this is now natively supported and does no longer need crazy workarounds, all this is fairly simple to do.
Also, as I don't change how stats work, it's just about writing an algorithm for item generation; I barely have to touch any of the existing systems for this to implement it.

Level 7
I'd suggest socketing and enchanting. Socketing for adding raw stats to equipment, and enchanting for adding certain proc effects. Leveling equipment up feels a bit streamlined and straight forward, and I think results in a less interesting version of socketing.

Would extended inventory perhaps translate into additional equipment slots? Gloves and Jewelry being split up would be pretty cool. I'd also prefer a boot slot instead of mounts. This would be the ideal time to consider this as you're re-writing the item code so you could power down other equipment slots to balance with the addition of the newer slots to keep our total power level roughly the same.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
The problem is that changing something gameplay related as equipment items will affect encounter balancing, which will make all my attempts of designing new content prior to this change meaningless.
It's better to change the item system first and then create new content than the reverse.

(...)
Also, as I don't change how stats work, it's just about writing an algorithm for item generation; I barely have to touch any of the existing systems for this to implement it.

Thanks for clarifying. Still I hope for at least 1 new spell per class soon. We are so accustomed to the classes now that I think some variation is in order. And what about the 2nd beta boss you talked about for so long ;-)

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
The idea was this:
Your hero inventory will become like a normal bag inventory that can hold everything that is not bound to another player. Then you can left-click an item to equip it and it goes into a spellbook-like submenu where you can left-click it again to unequip.
Should be kinda intuitive and it solves some of the issues I had with the inventory system before, like not having enough slots for consumables.
It also allows for new equipment types, yes, but I don't plan to go crazy with it, as it would break the scope of the game.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Naah, if only one new item type is added I'm with Box: Separate gloves and rings.
Right now, many new players find it confusing that they cannot wear a ring with gloves equipped and vice/versa, simply because there is no logical reason for this - realistically and from the general RPG-genre - instead, the reasons are, as we all know, the technical limitations with WC3 inventory system that those newbies don't necessarily realize at first.

TL;DR: I agree with Box - separate gloves and rings into two different item types.

Level 5
I'd suggest socketing and enchanting. Socketing for adding raw stats to equipment, and enchanting for adding certain proc effects. Leveling equipment up feels a bit streamlined and straight forward, and I think results in a less interesting version of socketing.

Would extended inventory perhaps translate into additional equipment slots? Gloves and Jewelry being split up would be pretty cool. I'd also prefer a boot slot instead of mounts. This would be the ideal time to consider this as you're re-writing the item code so you could power down other equipment slots to balance with the addition of the newer slots to keep our total power level roughly the same.
Socketing can be interesting, but it can lead to HUGE power spikes in between characters, we shall see.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I agree on the socketing being a problem in terms of visual presentation. I could potentially use a custom text font to replace some symbols with gem icons in tooltips, but I'm not sure how well that will look.
But I agree that the classic diablo-style socketing usually leads to massive power creep, as people will most likely stack socket gems of the same type endlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.