• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fully Optimizing Reforged Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Hi everybody, so I recently started using Retera Model Studio and I want to make some simple models out of the already existing ones.

So basically my goal is to take models like the Blacksmith:
upload_2021-1-3_3-13-58.png
(3.21MB)

and keep only stuff that can be used for doodads/decoration:
upload_2021-1-3_3-14-55.png

My problem is that for example even the door alone is 231kb which makes me wonder if it can be optimized even further

upload_2021-1-3_3-15-55.png
(231kb)

I already did all of the following:
upload_2021-1-3_3-18-38.png

plus I deleted all of the nodes but one to keep the model from crashing the WE

upload_2021-1-3_3-35-0.png

but the file size was only reduced to 206kb

Currently the only thing I can't do is to get rid of the useless animations:
upload_2021-1-3_3-31-45.png

because I can't find a way to do it in Retera and I don't know any other programs cable of editing reforged models for now.

My goal is to keep a relatively low file size of my map (not higher than 10mb)

Even 206kb for a simple hd door is considered a lot for me, considering I might have a lot of these different models used in my maps.

So I am asking if anybody has any more tips on optimization for models?

Last edited:
Level 19
@FeelsGoodMan yeah sure!
although I might know what you have in mind :D

upload_2021-1-3_3-53-24.png

I forgot about this and I did it now, the file size reduced to 128kb!

upload_2021-1-3_3-53-52.png

no noticeable quality drop in-game except the "shadow profile" gone or whatever.

plus it can be opened in magos and mdlvis now which will most likely allow me to futher optimize.

BUT this method doesn't always work, I had some models breaking.

Attachments

• Door.mdx
    206.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Door2.mdx
    128.8 KB · Views: 25
It wasn't exactly what I had in mind, sadly what I had in mind didn't decrease the file size.

What you just did will save the model to an SD mdx format, which means your model is no longer suitable for HD since the ORM textures aren't properly working anymore. If you wish to use SD assets without any ORM textures or environment maps there are way better resources than this door out there for that :p

Status
Not open for further replies.