• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fued of the Alliance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Hey Guys!

Taking a break from my cinematic series, I have decided to make an "altered Melee". Now, this map is based off the UTM, and has some custom models in it... Ima have a little trouble keeping it under B.net maximum sizes!!! :hohum:

Anyway, its size is 192 x 192 (playable) but only two player, so you can play for a long time and have good battles. There will be tons of new units, and all the remaining units will be patched up and rebalanced a little.

Basically the map is split up like this - each team gets two corners of the map, one team gets a large corner with resources and an ally (orc fortress), while the other team gets a corner with resources also, but in turn a human castle.

It will also have some minor quests in it, which give Hero xp and items.

I'm aiming to make it medieval-ish, with a little fantasy in it (magic duh)...
The terrain is almost done, but I still have to make spells, upgrades, units and triggers.

I will add more screenshots here as I progress with terraining.
And, its my first map that is playable, so please be critical so I can learn and improve upon things.

Attachments

• the human castle - 1.jpg
    the human castle - 1.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 185
  • the human castle - 2.jpg
    the human castle - 2.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 213
  • the human castle - 3.jpg
    the human castle - 3.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 152
  • Rogue Starting Side.jpg
    Rogue Starting Side.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 179
  • Alliance Starting Side.jpg
    Alliance Starting Side.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 200
  • waterfall.jpg
    waterfall.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 183
  • Orc Fortress 1.jpg
    Orc Fortress 1.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 160
  • Orc Fortress 2.jpg
    Orc Fortress 2.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 192
Level 24
Good, I mean... Wow. I think the screenshots that you have attached are looking awesome man. Remember though that what people (at least those that i know) want to see in Altered Melee is something new, such as a new race, i.e. gnolls, goblins, etc. Or at least lots of new units / buildings so that people who are tired of regular melee will be able to enjoy it as well. Make sure also that the orcish and human base are balanced and not one being more powerful than the other. For some suggestions, here goes:
  • Originality, come up with something new, still sticking to the melee theme of course. People could just play regular melee on b.net if they wished to.
  • The map size seems big for 2 players, might become a bit to long games for some persons tastes, perhaps reduce the map size a little?
As last words I would once again mention that I am deeply impressed by your terraining skills. Thanks for me, hope this inspired you.

Level 9
Nice, but a few critiscism about the screenshots:

Screenshot 1:
-Warcraft3ish towers don't combine with High-res-ish walls
-Bridge is a bit messed up, raise the terrain in the left edge
-Ugly cathedral-like doodads in the center

Screenshot 2:
-Ugly Cathedral
-Plain
-Lacking doodads and green stuff(trees, bushes, shrubs, etc)
-I don't like the wc3 houses, instead of those, add Inns, Farms, Mills and farm stuff

Screenshot 3:
-Total wall mess on height
-Ugly bridges, with edges messed up
-Bad placement of rocks

Screenshot 4:
-Ugly sky
-Too many trees, I know it will be altered melee, but, too many
-No tile Variation
-No fog

Screenshot 5:
-Same as previous, but now you abused from the trees
-Ugly Lordaeron Winter pines, as well as the other pines

Screenshot 6:
-Bad placed waterfalls, they are rushing above trees!
-Blank area on right top
-Overuse of enviroment on bottom left, and just trees on top
-Repetitive doodads and tiles on the river

Screenshot 7:
-Very cool!Continue doing like this!
-Plain
-No tile variation near the entrance

Screenshot 8:
-No tile variation on center
-Ugly teal orc burrows
-Walls aren't messed up, but are curved
-The dragon absolutely fucked up the screenshot

Sorry if this seemed to be rude, but it's critiscism!

Level 12
Hey again guys

Sorry for misspelling "Feud"...

Ok, Don't worry about tile variations, the whole thing is still under construction, it will take me a few more days to finish the terrain to a likable standard.

Also, I am taking screenshots from perspectives differing from the actual in-game camera, most of the stuff that seems screwed up you would not be able to notice in game.

I'm not quite sure what you meant with "ugly" cathedral, every big city has a church of some form, right? And if I used inns and farms and that, I would have to spam them, because there are no variations at all, and it would look even worse... But I can always add some in between to take away the melancholy look of the wc3 doodad houses.

The orc base is hardly finished, I don't quite know what you mean about curved walls, because the doodads are the way the come, they are straight, and I just had to change the rotation of the gate model a bit so that it fit together with the walls ok.

The spamming of trees, well, hmm. Dunno what I should do about that really... It's a forested area, so there really need to be trees. And those other trees you saw weren't lordereon winter trees, they were special trees from the UTM.

That's all for now, I will take some screenshots from wc3 camera perspectives so you know what it would really look like, but thank you very much for your criticism, I will work on everything I can!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.