• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Frost MPQ Alpha

Reactions: FUJI
Frost

Frost is a multi-platform MPQ editing tool which can:

- Extract
- Import
- Fix MPQ corruption
- And more!

This tool is meant to mimic the implementation of Storm as much as possible. There is no such thing as a "read only" MPQ for Frost. This tool can bypass PG protection (not all versions yet) and Spazzler and import files to corrupted maps.

This tool is very much in an alpha state. It will be improved going forward, but it is usable right now. Please report all bugs through either GitHub issues or the release post. Feel free to make any suggestions or ask questions as well!

It is open source: zach-cloud/Frost , built and maintained by me.

Features

- MPQ Opening
- Add your own Listfile
- Extract files
- Extract all files
- Import files
- Rebuild archive

User Guide

You need Java installed to use this.

Double click run.bat (rename to run.sh for Linux based machines, such as Macs)

A command line interface will open. and prompt you to select a file. Write the name of the file you want to import. This file should be in the same location as the Frost jar file.

After the file opens up successfully, it will give you a menu of operations to choose. This is what each of the operations do:

1: Extract:

The extract action will prompt you for a file name to extract. This should be the exact file name as it appears in the MPQ Archive. It will tell you if it doesn't exist.

If the file exists, it will extract it to the "out" folder.

2: List

This will provide you a list of all known filenames in the archive.

It first attempts to use the internal listfile. If that listfile doesn't exist or isn't complete, then it will try to use an external listfile. If there is a file named "listfile.txt", it will use that. If there isn't, it will prompt you for a listfile to use. If you don't enter a listfile, it'll continue without it.

After finding all known files, it will give you a report with all file names.

3: ExtractAllKnown

This will extract all known files to the "out" directory.

It will not extract files that it does not know the name of.

It first attempts to use the internal listfile. If that listfile doesn't exist or isn't complete, then it will try to use an external listfile. If there is a file named "listfile.txt", it will use that. If there isn't, it will prompt you for a listfile to use. If you don't enter a listfile, it'll continue without it.

4: Import

Imports a file from disk into the archive. The file should exist in the same directory as the Frost jar, and should be the same filename as you want to put into the archive.

If the file already exists, it will delete it first.

If the hash table is filled up, it will refuse to add new files.

It adds the file as a single entity, uncompressed.

5: Delete

Deletes the file name from the archive.

6: Save

Saves the MPQ archive with modifications. It will prompt you for the name to save as (will not overwrite by default). Before saving, the tool will delete the (attributes) file

Note that the mpq WILL NOT BE SAVED if you don't use this command. If you import a file and don't press save after, it will not be imported!

7: Quit

Quits the program.

Limitations

Currently, the tool is limited in the following ways. I plan to improve it going forward.

- I do not support all compression types. It's possible the tool will find a compression type that it doesn't know how to decompress, in which case it will refuse to extract the file. These types were not found during my testing.
- All files are only added as an uncompressed, single entity. This means the map size will increase when you replace files.
- It's not the most user friendly tool yet. It is command-line only and lacks very good error reporting.
- The Extended Hash Table, Extended Block Table, Weak Signature, and Strong Signature are not supported. I have not seen any maps using these fields in my tests.
Contents

Frost MPQ Alpha (Binary)

Reviews
eejin
Currently a basic MPQ manipulation tool that works fine. Approved seeing as the author has mentioned the intent to improve on it further.
Level 4
Ladik's MPQ editor is going to be superior for the near future (if not always)

The reason I made this is as a Java implementation which can be interfaced with other applications with full read/write capability. I've also made it able to write files into archives which other applications say are read-only. In the future, I'm going to try to defeat other MPQ corruptions that exist.

Reactions: AGD