• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fractured Monarch

LSobfBL.png

"All but the Eversong Monarch's heart is corrputed with undeath. In the Ghostlands, no soul may rest forever, and those you free from that torment may find themselves at your side."
hkwOlIt.png

This is a 1 versus 1 melee map with custom terrain inspired by the Ghostlands in World of Warcraft. The map's unique feature is the fact that a few neutral creep bosses drop Runes of Rebirth that summon that creature to your side, allowing players to control permanent creeps with powerful abilities so long as they can keep them alive.

The map contains the following:

5 Gold mines
(12500 gold in main base, 10000 in nearby expansion, 17500 in contested middle expansion)
1 Tavern
2 Mercenary Camps (Lordaeron Winter)
1 Marketplace
2 Goblin Merchants

6 Green Creep Camps
11 Orange Creep Camps
3 Red Creep Camps

Instructions:
Download the map using the red download button and put it in the Warcraft 3 / Maps / Download folder. It can then be opened by starting Warcraft 3 and going to the Single Player -> Custom Game menu.

Terrain + Creep Camp screenshots:

Ugni9uv.png

w8PVQp1.png

fPoQTp7.png

yKmLHDo.png

VWX6fIx.png

wadc3s7.png

iy83hoP.png

CHANGELOG:
Version 1.1 (current)
-Heavily modified the terrain for more detail.
-Made the creeps near the gold mines more aggressive (non-blue). For the bottom center gold mine, only the Warlord is aggressive so that units merely passing by won't be attacked as often.
-Changed the item drops of the three red camps in the top center:
-The Ice Revenant camps now drop a level 5 Permanent item and a level 2 Charged item
rather than a Rune of Rebirth and a level 3 Charged item.
-The Death Revenent camp now drops a level 4 Permanent item and a level 3 Charged item
rather than a Rune of Rebirth, a level 1 tome and a level 3 Permanent item.
-Tightened the pathing space between the three red camps to create a chokepoint, so that it is more difficult to navigate between the three of them and easier to set up a blockade/scout to dissuade your opponent from creeping all 3 of them in quick succession.

-Several screenshots have been updated to reflect the above changes.
-Swapped the screenshots in the thread to have the map terrain+camp in front and the gameplay screenshots as a supplement instead of the other way around.
-Changed the map preview image to be the minimap.

Version 1.0
-Initial release.

---

Disclaimer:
All custom tileset imports were originally created by Blizzard Entertainment and edited by me, Ascrelle.

This is an entry for the [$100 Prize Pool] Melee Mapping Contest - 1v1 . Thanks to @Ragnaros17 , @deepstrasz and the people in the Contest topic for giving suggestions on improving this map.
Contents

Fractured Monarch (Map)

Reviews
WolfFarkas
Hello there, nice map, you have done a very good work recreating the wow region. I have some sugestions, for your map so you can study them and see if they help you to improve the map for the contest 1) Never put range of creeps at camp mod 200 in...
deepstrasz
Try not putting screenshots for melee maps as gameplay footage and instead use overview and editor shots. Usually melee maps should have the minimap as the preview image. Mostly flat terrain is flat. Rune of Rebirth on a 8th level Revenant after...
Level 29
Hello there, nice map, you have done a very good work recreating the wow region. I have some sugestions, for your map so you can study them and see if they help you to improve the map for the contest

upload_2017-11-10_2-41-37.png

1) Never put range of creeps at camp mod 200 in goldmines, study any melee map, creeps in goldmines should have normal range.
2) I see you have skill with the enviroment, dont restrain yourself with the map you have , push foward to gain beauty, remember you are in a contest, the other users will do the best to have the winning map, dont fall behind, continue your work and improve it.
3) Loot: I think, you could have a better loot, since there is a market place, items permanent level 4 and 5 from the red creeps could be played in game
Study others maps loot, to have more knoledge or again like the enviroment, consider to push yourself to have better loot system

Again really nice map, it has a lot of potential, I sugest you to use the remaining time to improve the map and increase your chances of winning (the other users wont look the roof in the remaining time, they are looking how to improve their maps and beta testing, I sugest the same)

I rate 3/5 ( Actually I would like to give you a 4/5, but I dont like to overrate, I will consider my final rate, after reading others users review/ or the mod review)

see ya and good luck in the contest

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Try not putting screenshots for melee maps as gameplay footage and instead use overview and editor shots.
Usually melee maps should have the minimap as the preview image.

Mostly flat terrain is flat.
Rune of Rebirth on a 8th level Revenant after finding one on a 7th level nerubian? And then on the ninth level Revenant? Nope. It's way too much.

Other than that it's a very pretty map.

Awaiting Update.

=====================================

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

Screenshots could attract more players to download your work. Make the best of them.

A credits list is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated.

A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!

Level 7
I have updated the map!

Changelog:
-Heavily modified the terrain for more detail.
-Made the creeps near the gold mines more aggressive (non-blue). For the bottom center gold mine, only the Warlord is aggressive so that units merely passing by won't be attacked as often.
-Changed the item drops of the three red camps in the top center:
-The Ice Revenant camps now drop a level 5 Permanent item and a level 2 Charged item
rather than a Rune of Rebirth and a level 3 Charged item.
-The Death Revenent camp now drops a level 4 Permanent item and a level 3 Charged item
rather than a Rune of Rebirth, a level 1 tome and a level 3 Permanent item.
-Tightened the pathing space between the three red camps to create a chokepoint, so that it is more difficult to navigate between the three of them and easier to set up a blockade/scout to dissuade your opponent from creeping all 3 of them in quick succession.

-Several screenshots have been updated to reflect the above changes.
-Swapped the screenshots in the thread to have the map terrain+camp in front and the gameplay screenshots as a supplement instead of the other way around.
-Changed the map preview image to be the minimap.

Thanks to @Ragnaros17 , @deepstrasz and the people in the Contest topic for giving suggestions on improving this map.

Level 29
That blue temple in the center is new? it looks great. I never use blue fire, but here is a very good touch and the terrain looks a lot more better.
I decided to increase my rate to .... thinking.... 5/5. Your map is very unique.

Good luck in the contest.

Level 8
Only one thing.
Beautiful terrain. Definite ghostlands feel.
But... I seem to remember creeps should always drop random items of a certain level and not specific items... for replay value

Level 7
Only one thing.
Beautiful terrain. Definite ghostlands feel.
But... I seem to remember creeps should always drop random items of a certain level and not specific items... for replay value

All creeps drop random items of a certain level and class, with only a few items as exceptions:

The Tome of Experience is omitted from the level 2 tome category because it creates spikes in a player's creeping route solely based on luck.
The Wand of Lightning is omitted from the level 2 charged category because they are a very powerful tool in stopping fast expansions, putting Human players at a severe disadvantage if it drops.
The Diamond of Summoning is omitted from the level 4 (or 5, don't remember which one) permanent category, because it is prone to use for abuse and cheese tactics.

Or is it the creep camp screenshots that confused you? Perhaps I should clarify that the item icons i used for the screenshots there are merely a representation of item level and class and not the actual, specific item that is being dropped.