• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

FPS Engine Showoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
Hey,

Yea, I know I have a project forum for this, but not all people know it's there, so i decided that this should be posted here, for more publicity. It's a preview of an alpha version of an FPS engine I'm working on. It shows one of the many possibilities of Reinventing the Craft. I'll be releasing an open source map people can use soon, so anyone interested should just keep their eyes on the project forum. It's an alpha, so expect a few kinks, like terrain errors, and the cursor is still visible.
Anyways, without any further delay, here's the video

- MindWorX

EDIT:
After watching the video youtubed, i realize you can't read the things i write. It's mostly whining and fooling around anyways, not important. I'd also like to apologize for no sound, I'm new to the whole video thing.

Last edited:
Level 3
Looks very, very, very nice... If only Blizzard released Warcraft 3 with the capabilities of your project, then we would have some variety apart from DotA (which sucks). The height detection problem should be easily fixed and the only issue i can see thus far is getting people onto the RtC version of Warcraft 3 so that they can play these sweet games in multiplayer.

Level 6
It looks absolutely amazing! The camera movement is so smooth it's fantastic <3

I'm curious though, how do you move the camera? Is it with the arrow keys? And does the cursor play any role in the system?

I can't wait to try it out :)

Level 6
*faints*

Wow... this is going to take war3 FPS to a whole new level :eek:

Any idea on how soon this will be released to the general public? And will it be easy to use? Like does it use jass? Cuz if so, i'd better start learning it now ><

Level 6
It was kinda obvious that such a complex system could only be made with jass :(

Is full knowledge of jass required? Or will example triggers be given so GUI user can get an idea of what they have to learn to implement the system?

Either way, i'm really glad that such as system is develloped, i imagine advanced modders will make awsome stuff with this :)

Level 18
Level 5
the most fucked thing in wc3 is camera =)
+ it will lag like hell in real actions (on bit older CPUs).

aka i made self an FPS so ~2 years ago. i acn't see the video do you hide cursor + add a filter ? or it's with out a crosschair ? =)

anyway GJ ! the most new and hard thing for me is the syncing =)

and yes. i have thinked about several years... and have find out what war3 doesnt fits in FPS game mod (mostly due the great performance eating)... really. but it's an other story =)

Level 5
TT.
1) the cam + movement isn't really smooth i am skilled FPS checker xD (omg rofl)
2) the demo (first) is on default melee map (imo) so there is NOTHING to lag.
3) in the first (and maybe second haven't see it) demo the cursor X pos is screwed o_O ?! aka the proportions were not for that resolution (it was for a smaller one.)
4) well i allready mentioned i made the same more than 2 years ago (and the guys from FPS mod rather longer) aka nothing revolutionar. it's also simpler to use prepared blanks for natives etc. we must search in memory for values and hook on it xD.

+ post some jass code... especialy the cam handling funcs =)

Level 5
1. That is cause I run on Ati Radeon 9250 GPU, doesn't really have anything to do with the map itself xD
wrong... anyway. (not the map but "how well can be FPS implemented in wc3" =))

3. I don't get it 0.o
- aka the cursor is left from the center >.<

4. RtC doesn't only include FPS system, it includes MUCH more :p
- i am talking about this video demo =)

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
TT.
1) the cam + movement isn't really smooth i am skilled FPS checker xD (omg rofl)
The camera updates every 1/64 seconds, which means 1 time per maximum warcraft FPS. I do this to make the engine less intensive on the computer, and also because updating every 0.01 wouldn't gain much.
2) the demo (first) is on default melee map (imo) so there is NOTHING to lag.
It's still a very large map, with many doodads. But even with the newer maps we're testing, we're still not getting much lag.
3) in the first (and maybe second haven't see it) demo the cursor X pos is screwed o_O ?! aka the proportions were not for that resolution (it was for a smaller one.)
It's because the mouse centers to the center of the screen, not the window, and when i run wc3 in windowed mode, it means it's not always in center. Which doesn't really matter, since the cursor is going to be hidden in any decent FPS engine.
4) well i allready mentioned i made the same more than 2 years ago (and the guys from FPS mod rather longer) aka nothing revolutionar. it's also simpler to use prepared blanks for natives etc. we must search in memory for values and hook on it xD.
Using a memory scanner means running a 3rd party app along with wc3, which would just slow everything down. This FPS engine uses injected dlls which gives some amazing speed advantages. Also, using this is much easier since a memory scanner means starting two apps, while using RtC, you just start wc3.
+ post some jass code... especialy the cam handling funcs =)
We're releasing a demo soon.

Level 5
The camera updates every 1/64 seconds, which means 1 time per maximum warcraft FPS. I do this to make the engine less intensive on the computer, and also because updating every 0.01 wouldn't gain much.
the key is to make actions synchrone and it's very very hard (you need some uber mega hook for it to do actions just before war3 render a screen) aka the cam action will be not synced to current game screen. ahh it's may be bit hard to understand but it's so.

It's because the mouse centers to the center of the screen, not the window, and when i run wc3 in windowed mode, it means it's not always in center. Which doesn't really matter, since the cursor is going to be hidden in any decent FPS engine.
getting war3 window props ? TT cause if your "cursor center" is near to the scren borders and you will make fast mouse moves so it will be simply stoped by the border aka acceleration stoper. thats why cursor is allways in the middle =)

Using a memory scanner means running a 3rd party app along with wc3, which would just slow everything down. This FPS engine uses injected dlls which gives some amazing speed advantages. Also, using this is much easier since a memory scanner means starting two apps, while using RtC, you just start wc3.
yes i don't know what grimoire is... or xttocs JAPI... TT
and lol grimoire is 3d party application xD n/c

We're releasing a demo soon.
cool.

maybe i am a bit to offensive =) but it's somekind a push for you (in good case)

As for cursor thingie, what this system does is moving it to the center every 1/64 seconds. Thus, you can not get off the borders :p
Grimoire is something you don't need to start the map with, all you do is use a "RtC Launcher.exe" and then select the map you want to play. Then the system hacks war3.exe, starts up the map. Thus, nothing else is running except the enhanced war3.exe

Level 5
Grimoire is something you don't need to start the map with, all you do is use a "RtC Launcher.exe" and then select the map you want to play. Then the system hacks war3.exe, starts up the map. Thus, nothing else is running except the enhanced war3.exe
and you are so fucking awesome and wrote all this stuff by your self... omg rolf. it's grimoire and . =)
to link the whole story in 1 exe is not a big deal...

+ i can move mouse in 1 frame out of the borders so don't tell bullshit. =)

and you are so fucking awesome and wrote all this stuff by your self... omg rolf. it's grimoire and . =)
to link the whole story in 1 exe is not a big deal...

+ i can move mouse in 1 frame out of the borders so don't tell bullshit. =)

You can move mouse in one frame? What is your sensitive? OVER NINE THOUSAND?!?!?! Also, you gotta have a fucking large table to be able to drag it so much xD And besides, none is forcing you to play in windowed mode. As for one exe not being a big deal, having one active exe is much better than having two ones :p

And what did you mean by the first sentence?

Level 15
Oh yes. Pretty much everything in RtC needs JASS.

Although GUI functions might be a possibility; I've heard rumors in the chat room.

Good Work Mindy. Cant wait till i get mai paws on it.

@Guiers who want to use RtC
Yes it is possible i have written a SEMPQ to inject the world editer with rtc flavord goodness. Ill releace it once i finish up some loose ends

Status
Not open for further replies.