• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Import] Fortification pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
You have to import all the models inside that pack into your map (unzip the file, open the Import Manager and import each file one-by-one).
Then open the Object Manager and change the value "Art - Model File" to one of the models you just imported.

Once you know what model-files actually are and how they work, this is a piece of cake.
If you're still having troubles with it, I could create an image-guide (unless any other kind soul here beats me to it).

Level 28
But would you have learned something if I just do it for you? :/
I want you to be able to add models to your map any time you wish, so I prefer creating an image-guide.

Simply click on "Step #X" to go to the next step. I hope you learn something from this.

Step #1

Step #2

Step #3

Step #4

Step #5 (final)

I am going to assume you've already downloaded the pack.
Go to the location of your pack (like the folder "Downloads") and use your extractor tool to extract the .zip-file (I use 7-Zip).

Fud8y.jpg
Now open your map (the map where you want those models in), or create a new one.
Open the "Import Manager" (F12) and select "Import File".

QEg7i.jpg
Select the newly extracted folder, like this:

csHp0.jpg

And continue on until you find the .mdx-files. In this example, I will pick "Fortification Big Tower".
Select the model file - not the portrait, you should ignore that for now - and press "Open".

qwyIb.jpg

Once that is done, the import manager should look like this:

wYiLG.jpg

Although I like to make my import manager look clean, so instead of "war3mapImported\" in the path name, I will write "Buildings\".
This way we can easily keep track of what category the models are in.

JmzcH.jpg
Now you need to assign that model to a unit.
I will give the model to a Scout Tower. To do this, go the object editor and find the Scout Tower (Human\Melee\Buildings).
Once you find the Scout Tower, you need to edit the field "Art - Model File"

CJwF9.jpg

Click on that field and modify it to this:

3ayyZ.jpg
Note that you still can't see the model in the World Editor. This is normal.
However, if you place the unit on the map (it will become a colored box) and then test the map (F9), it will work in-game.

To make it work in the world editor as well, save the map, close it and then re-open it again.
(The World Editor only loads models when opening a map, not when they've just been imported).

PaWeG.jpg

You're done! Now you can import and use models (without texture files) with ease.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.