1. Are you planning to upload your awesome model to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Force Field

Submitted by Fingolfin
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Alright, so this was a model i made just for fun, but it turned out so ridiculously epic that i just had to upload it. The texture is just one of water ripples which i ran some glass filters over, and then i animated it to flow and pulsate. Do yourself a favor and check it out in magos model editor for the full experience.

The model comes with animation sets for normal and large size. The model is billboarded onto the Z axis so that it will not spin around awkwardly when units you might attach it to move around (and it also hides the seam on the side).

I am also uploading a small version, which is half the size, and also has a different wrap. There is also a low-res alternative to the texture, but frankly i would advice everyone who has the space for it to use the high-res version since it just looks that much better.

Keywords:
shield, force field, plasma, sci-fi, space, cruiser, protection, barrier, energy
Contents

Force Field (Model)

Reviews
17:34, 14th Dec 2014 MiniMage: I really love this one. Beautiful effect and extremely useful for any science fiction map. Would fit extremely well with your other space themed resources.
  1. 17:34, 14th Dec 2014
    MiniMage: I really love this one. Beautiful effect and extremely useful for any science fiction map. Would fit extremely well with your other space themed resources.

2. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I am attaching the small version and the low-res texture below. Import the low-res texture using the same path as the standard one, should you use it. The small version is only smaller in size, not in resolution - the slightly high-poly model was required for the texture not to clip too much.

Attached Files:

3. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Great, just what I need for a terrain. Here's a candy :)

4. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    It's a beautiful effect. It's a little heavy on filesize, but damn, I really love this.
    I'm not sure why this reminds me of the alien movies tho.

5. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Maybe it's your own imagination? Or.. you watched too many movies lately.

6. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Btw, Fingolfin. If you add a couple of textures for sea, then anything under the effect of the shield will darken slightly with a bluish tint. Donno which texture type that was dark though.

7. FunkyDude44

FunkyDude44

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The original file is huge. The smaller one is much more practical. It looks really good when attached to the origin of buildings. I perfer overhead for units, but the origin looks alright too. A great addition to the sci-fi theme.

3/5

8. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I didn't understand a single word of what you just wrote.....

Thanks. Yeah, i don't know why the texture turned out so big, it is not like it has a lot of colors in it. The low res works fine on the large model, not as fine on the small one. Kinda low rating though? I feel like i did as much as one possibly could with a model of this type.

9. Splub

Splub

Resources:
    Resources:
    Awesome! Great Job!

10. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Remember the chronosphere model?

11. Tickles

Tickles

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Whaaat. That turned out amazingly well. I'm sure even more people would love you forever if you managed to do this effect on a flat plane for high quality water, because it looks similar to realistic water already.

12. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hmm, from starcraft? I still don't really know what you are going at. You will have to explain, i am really interested in knowing what it is you are suggesting.

True! But sadly i don't think it would look as good with water. The reason it looks so liquid is that the texture gets distorted in a kind of zig-zag way as it travels across the sphere, it would not be possible to replicate on a plane. It is funny how something that is usually considered a big issue is here helping to create the striking effect.

13. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Like this; If you use the texture for sea, the texture for sea will always shade everything in a darker color, because it is the sea.
    The chronosphere is a lot like your model though. I originally found that model in a spell here at the hive.

Here's a screeny of the chronosphere model in action.
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/Cool_lil_Dude/GoblinShieldWalkerDone_zps9f7eedee.png

14. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ah, cool... not sure what it is that creates the blueis tint though. Perhaps he uses a material with modulation filter, because it must be hard to get it that dark with additive since it translate darkness into alpha.

15. Thaelran

Thaelran

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Very nice and useful model!

16. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I can pastebin the file for you if you want to look at how it is done.

17. Maximum_Evil

Maximum_Evil

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    looks very impressive!

18. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Sure, why not!

19. GenFrogKing

GenFrogKing

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nice model! I added it to my mod straightaway. Excellent scifi resource.