• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

(FOR DELETION) Thread to be deleted because it will produce fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ether I like your doodads but I think you are taking this a bit far.

Censoring what you don't agree with isn't the way to go about it. The people who have posted in the doodad thread have brought up valid concerns and opinions, and didn't seem to be troll-ish in nature at all.

If everyone were given the ability to restrict/control/censor their own threads the flow of information and posts would be heavily downgraded. There would be a lot of unnecessary fights over deleted posts and so on, so I think having moderators doing it is better. There is a report button, and if the moderators find any broken rules they will probably remove the post.

As far as your doodad packs, I think you're doing a service by converting them, but you're ruining for yourself with the pay links. You said it's not about the money but rather leeches and I think @tulee brought up a very valid point on that matter. Furthermore we are all making maps and other resources in here, but we do not require pay links for our work simply because all resources should be easily available. People like @Talavaj who have made a lot of extremely useful doodad resources have his resources extremely easily available, and I think his way of uploading resources is exemplary.

Everyone in here works on things that others will use for free, but most people don't demand the same gratitude as you do. The people who appreciate your work will thank you.

EDIT: Also one thing you should be a bit careful with is that you're technically monetizing Blizzard's models. That can lead to some legal trouble, and potentially being sued by Blizzard.

Last edited:
Level 14
Ether I like your doodads but I think you are taking this a bit far.

Censoring what you don't agree with isn't the way to go about it. The people who have posted in the doodad thread have brought up valid concerns and opinions, and didn't seem to be troll-ish in nature at all.

If everyone were given the ability to restrict/control/censor their own threads the flow of information and posts would be heavily downgraded. There would be a lot of unnecessary fights over deleted posts and so on, so I think having moderators doing it is better. There is a report button, and if the moderators find any broken rules they will probably remove the post.

As far as your doodad packs, I think you're doing a service by converting them, but you're ruining for yourself with the pay links. You said it's not about the money but rather leeches and I think @tulee brought up a very valid point on that matter. Furthermore we are all making maps and other resources in here, but we do not require pay links for our work simply because all resources should be easily available. People like @Talavaj who have made a lot of extremely useful doodad resources have his resources extremely easily available, and I think his way of uploading resources is exemplary.

Everyone in here works on things that others will use for free, but most people don't demand the same gratitude as you do. The people who appreciate your work will thank you.
I agree with you but I guess I have to move on and move forward and share the stuff externally maybe via facebook or discord.
Or maybe on media. Making a thread seem to collect angry people or a lot of arguments which reduces the health of the thread.
I had talked to the mods about this.

I get tulee's point but people like Razorclaw_X do not help to the thread at all.

EDIT: I have to stick to paylinks to raise funds on the mod I am working on. Just like Patreon, I think it's a small thing to aid the mod. Because I think Patreon is a bit more expensive to patrons while paylinks are somehow, you get what you want while giving me something in return to fund or kickstart a project. Additionally, I have to fund it because I'll be paying some team mates for the triggering, terrain design, and stuff like that.

I think it's plain business with fair share and exchange of support. :)

And hey, @FeelsGoodMan, do you know what happened to WarcraftUnderground?
The leechers have overwhelmed the site so it's closed to the public. And few others like me where the ones fending off the swarm of leeches and I do not want them to plague to hiveworkshop and really, I do not want to see any hiveworkshop copies like ... https://www.mvprpg.com/front/resources/toResources?pageNum=1
Jump to pages 1500 onwards, you'll see terrible numbers of hive resources.

Last edited:
Level 14
It's not OK to start a discussion and then suddenly end it because you don't like the replies.
If you start such a thread you have to be prepared for all kinds of responses, mainly for the negative ones.
Because I suddenly knew that the topic will not fruit any good fruit. That speaks clearly, forum is an open world, and all good and bad are free. Gold and trash. Happy and annoying posts.

Level 23

Hiveworkshop is based on the foundation of "leaches". At an approximation, for every 600 people who might download a resource, 595 might never have any interaction with the author or other people on hive, 4 will leave comments/feedback, and 1 will actually go and make their own resource after being inspired.

The 595 people are not making an obvious contribution (does not mean they are not helping Wc3 community as a whole, just maybe their effect is not as easy to see), the 4 people who provide comments are "paying back" the author, and the 1 person who goes and makes their own resource is "paying" the author "forward". This is pretty normal.

People actually paying for resources probably happens a lot less than people might think (specifically models) in my opinion, since as soon as they are sold once, those buyers can just sell them to others, crippling any potential business. And that is assuming anyone buys them in the first place.

Level 14
So, what is this thread about again?
It's really something you don't need to think about on. It really needs to be deleted as I have talked to Chief Ralle.
If you heard what happened to warcraftunderground, you might be able to catch up with what is happening.
But, I suggest not to dive in because it's not worth your time and not anyone's time anymore.

It's been destroyed and crumpled as part of moving forward process and to avoid further exchange of thoughts or stones.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Very well then.

Just one thing:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You do not have to agree with it. By no means.
But you have to understand the fact that every person is an individual with their own mindset,
their own opinion, their own personality.
You have to respect their opinion even if you disagree by heart.
If you are unable to do so and consider people that disagree with you "not intelligent enough"
(you know exactly which post in which thread I am refering to here), I hope that you will mature
to a point that you can in time.

Shar Out.

Level 29
I also don't really agree with the fact you removed your post and changed the title. This is as bad as wanting user-moderated threads in my opinion.

There is no problem with you having this suggestion - you have your reasons that you stated, and I respect you since you gave the reasoning.

But again, this is a forum. Forums are repositories of knowledge and information, of discussions and arguments, and removing them removes from the forum.

This is akin to people who ask questions, get answers, and then modify the first post to say "solved".
If another user then has the same questions, rather than being able to find the information, a new thread must be created as if it never existed.

There is no shame or foul in writing something that other people don't agree with, that is what conversation is based on.
I really don't like how nowadays people generally don't actually want to have conversations, but rather to ban and deplatform every person who disagrees with them.
But this goes both ways - I also don't want you to deplatform yourself, even if I don't agree with you.

I also don't really agree with the fact you removed your post and changed the title. This is as bad as wanting user-moderated threads in my opinion.

There is no problem with you having this suggestion - you have your reasons that you stated, and I respect you since you gave the reasoning.

But again, this is a forum. Forums are repositories of knowledge and information, of discussions and arguments, and removing them removes from the forum.

This is akin to people who ask questions, get answers, and then modify the first post to say "solved".
If another user then has the same questions, rather than being able to find the information, a new thread must be created as if it never existed.

There is no shame or foul in writing something that other people don't agree with, that is what conversation is based on.
I really don't like how nowadays people generally don't actually want to have conversations, but rather to ban and deplatform every person who disagrees with them.
But this goes both ways - I also don't want you to deplatform yourself, even if I don't agree with you.

But it is far simpler to create a social bubble nowadays.
That is the true disease.

But some people view other people's opinions as toxic or as a disease, because they have to self-reflect and think about what they said.
"Self-reflection?! That is the devil's stuff. Only my opinion is right. I don't get the right responses?! Delete everything, ban users, ddos all forums!"

... it is worse than one kindergarden kiddie stealing the plastic shovel from another kiddo...

Status
Not open for further replies.