• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Discussion] For all hive members - I can't accept the fact you guys are awesome, but don't use this

Status
Not open for further replies.

old

old

Level 6
There are a lot of nice game designers and people who have a great knowledge in programming or game design. I can't accept the fact you guys have the power but don't use, you'll understand:
My question to you all. Why don't you start the development of your own game? Why didn't this dream never come trough your mind? And if did, what happend?
You know, the dwarven monsters slayers, the TD, and some others are doing this, but why just a little bit? Explain me, let me understand what you think about this discussion, what you thing about this topic, let me get in your mind to see from your eyes, tell me. Because really, if i were a good programmer or designer or, for the less, create a map, i would give the next step to this possibility.
I may now been to inocent, thinking it's to easy, so that's why you are going to tell me what stops you.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
No one is forcing you to accept it.

Creating a new game is a completely different thing from creating material for a game, using the game's engine.

Also, people have jobs or are still going to school.
To make such a thing really successful, you'd have to make this your job and work for yourself - guess how attractive as a job that is; before you show results at your work, you don't get a single penny.
You'd have to do a part-time job or a full-time job with less time to work on your game - and some companies don't want their employees to have an additional job and in this particular case, creating a video game pretty much becomes a job.

Last edited:
Level 10
Yes it's very hard you need much roles like 3D artists,2D artist,coders,story writters,level designers
I dont think you can do all at once but you can use thing like the Unity Asset Store and stuff to get models and systems but still
it's not easy

pyf

pyf

Level 32
i'm out of idea's i can create a game but am out of ideas!
Making a proper game is generally not a 1 man job.
Yes it's very hard you need much roles like 3D artists,2D artist,coders,story writters,level designers
I dont think you can do all at once but you can use thing like the Unity Asset Store and stuff to get models and systems but still
it's not easy

Maybe yes, maybe no:
Followers

Frédérick Raynal - Wikipedia

Level 30
Do video games necessarily have to be AAA ones to be interesting and / or entertaining?
AAA (video game industry) - Wikipedia

Not necessarily, but it is a factor for being a big game. I mean there are Games that are interesting and/or entertaining without the AAA-Category.

I just currently don't remember a game without the AAA-Category that is interesting and/or entertaining.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Do video games necessarily have to be AAA ones to be interesting and / or entertaining?

Fine.
Good luck creating a game like Until Dawn (PS4 exclusive) without it taking you 10 years.
That game wass clearly not triple A since I remember the credits containing like 5 programmers.

Level 4
it's not easy

Simply put, the WC3 editor provides an excellent initial set of tools and premade assets that don't suck. Especially the assets, finding a set of them that mix cohesively can really suck hard even if you search on the asset stores of the more well-known engines; the best way is to hire a dedicated artist, and that is the more expensive route.

And even with art out of the way, wiring a bunch of prepurchased systems together is annoying. A lack of understanding what that system does can give a programmer endless days of debugging, checking for performance bottlenecks, etc. In many cases it's not a buy and forget kind of thing; the authors of the prepurchased systems sometimes update their stuff, and you have to make sure that the newer versions still work with your game. You'll have to dedicating time to maintain/fix these systems.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Fine.
Good luck creating a game like Until Dawn (PS4 exclusive) without it taking you 10 years.
That game wass clearly not triple A since I remember the credits containing like 5 programmers.
Among other things, Until Dawn features the voice talents of several TV series / movie stars, such as Peter Stormare (yay!) and/or Hayden Panettiere. They did not work for free, obviously.

Quoting Wikipedia: "According to Supermassive, the game's transition from PlayStation 3 to PlayStation 4 has led the developer to rebuild the game and to rewrite its story".

Until Dawn was originally announced for the PlayStation 3 at Gamescom 2012. It was originally set to be released in 2013. At Gamescom 2014, it was announced that the title would now be served as a PlayStation 4 exclusive. Until Dawn was finally released in August 2015.

More info:
Until Dawn - Wikipedia
Until Dawn (Video Game 2015) - IMDb

Level 25
As a development platform, Warcraft 3 is just really, really good. So it's tough to leave that to create something else.

Distinct advantages of wc3 dev:

* Huge amount of in-theme assets in the game that you can use, as well as thousands of user-made assets that also fit the universe. You can throw together a map in an afternoon and the visual design will be completely coherent. This ecosystem simply doesn't exist in regular game dev. There are plenty of sites that offer tens of thousands of assets, but everything is in different styles and to different standards. You can't put together a game in one specific style using that. You have to make the assets yourself, or hire someone to do it. Or just set your visual direction really low.
* Higher level coding means you won't ever have to deal with entire classes of bugs. The wc3 engine just works. This means you can focus your development time on the game itself.
* Large audience for your maps, so if you make a good map you will get recognition and feedback. The wc3 scene is smaller than it used to be, but it's still larger than most game dev communities. Added to this, a large portion of the community *aren't* mapmakers - they are here just to play maps. In regular game dev, communities consist almost entirely of developers. This means that there are relatively many more people seeking attention for their content. More games to play, and less people to play those games. A few months ago I made a free game for Android and WebGL that got a grand total of not even 200 installs, while my maps on hive or epic war can easily get a few thousand.
* Related to the point above, Battle.net makes it easy to share and play your maps.

Another factor is that regular game dev usually requires you to dive much deeper into code than warcraft maps, and many people just aren't comfortable enough to do so.

The only really viable way to game dev solo and make a game is to have good coding skills and enough money to buy all the assets you need. And for people in lower income countries (such as myself), the latter is pretty expensive.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
i'm out of idea's i can create a game but am out of ideas!
it's not easy
i do get your point but i think we are talking about rather bigger games
i have seen these challenges where people create a game in 4 minutes but it's just
a remake of very old games
Not necessarily, but it is a factor for being a big game. I mean there are Games that are interesting and/or entertaining without the AAA-Category.

I just currently don't remember a game without the AAA-Category that is interesting and/or entertaining.
I was told that this video game, which uses Unity, has an outstanding facial expressions engine, an effective interface, and out-of-the-ordinary rendering techniques to the screen. They call it 'VHS technology', or something like that...

Now, does anybody here have a webcam on his / her laptop? :wink:

Her Story (video game) - Wikipedia
(attention, be sure to skip the 'Plot' section because of the spoilers)

Level 15
I think most people good enough to create games that you mention get picked up by the company store. It's simply put more attractive for most people to work for a company, with a set career path and all the rest, rather than trying to make a name for themselves in a very saturated indie market. Wc3 then becomes a creative outlet that they prefer for various reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.