• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Flayl's guide to Tau

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Ok, this is my second issue of "Flayl's guides" for the Warhammer 40k TD, best used for version 5.00

This time around I'm showing you how to beat normal without leaking one single unit (or at least as little as possible), with Tau. I'm going to use a strict mazing pattern and build order, so I've included screenshots. Once again, I'm assuming you know how to use -da well.

Tau Overview: The Tau, although having tons of different unit abilities, do not differ much in damage type. Most of the Tau towers deal normal damage, which is probably the second best type of damage in the game, after chaos. This is because it deals more damage than piercing, siege or magic against medium armor units and hero armor units. Tau aren't very good at mazing initially, but later on, when you have tons of units with stun and Kroot Shapers, they are among the best. They can handle bosses easily even without nuking abilites, mostly because of their damage type advantage. While in previous patches Tau were the best race against mechanical units, their anti siege ability has been quite toned down (gun drones specifically). Don't fear though, they still do fine if you know how to play them (that's what I'm here for =D). They also have an advantage in their anti air units, because since they have ensnare, they are never out-dated so there is no need to replace them. I would say that Tau probably has the hardest time of all the races in the first few levels, where piercing reigns supreme. In fact, I had to build the first part of the maze in a much more careful way than usual just so I didn't leak on level 1. It should be noticed that none of the Tau units have magic damage, so you will never have an advantage against heavy armor units. And finally, the Tau lumber tower is pretty good, but unlike most other lumber towers, which can be used well on their own, Commander O'Shava is definitely best placed near a maze, thanks to his powerful aura (20% attack speed increase).

Ok, here is the actual guide (the first 10 levels), it sounds harder than it is to do:

Note: This only works for red, teal, yellow and light green, because of the first part of the maze. If you want to pull it off as blue, purple, orange or pink, I can upload a replay showing how.

Before level 1: You have enough money to build 5 firewarriors. But if you don't want to leak, you can't afford to build them in the places you would with other races. Follow my instrcutions and copy my maze as well as you can if you want to kill every single Flagellant headed your way. A screenshot is included for clarification. Ok, get your builder and prepare to place a firewarrior. Now, while you have that green/red square, move it to the bottom left of your area in the middle lane (bottom left relative to the spawning lane, for example, teal's "bottom left" would be top left). Now move the green square once to the right and four times up. Place the fire warrior. Now place the remaining firewarrriors diagonnally from the first one, upwards-right direction.
Screenshot here:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/flayl/TauWH40kTDlvl1.jpg
- You now have 5 Firewarriors

Before level 2: Build one more firewarrior in the diagonal shown before. Now, before placing another firewarrior, move the green/red square to the second firewarrior counting from the left. Move the square 3 times down and once to the right. Place it. Now move the third firewarrior build square on top of this new one and move it down twice and left twice. Place. One last time, put the square on this new one and move it down once and left twice. Place and you are done for this level. Deposit the remaining gold.
Screenshot here:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/flayl/TauWH40kTDlvl2.jpg
- You now have 9 Firewarriors

Before level 3: You should see the pattern forming here. Build 2 firewarriors and 1 kroot warrior on your second diagonal. Deposit your remaining gold.
Screenshot here:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/flayl/TauWH40kTDlvl3.jpg
- You now have 11 Firewarrios and 1 Kroot Warrior

Before level 4: Build 1 Kroot Warrior and 1 firewarrior in the second digaonal. Deposit the remaining gold.
Screenshot here:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/flayl/TauWH40kTDlvl4.jpg
- You now have 12 FireWarriors and 2 Kroot Warriors

Before level 5: Air time! Upgrade your Kroot Warriors to Kroot Shapers and deposit the rest of your gold.
- You now have 12 Firewarriors and 2 Kroot Shapers

Before level 6: Remember the last firewarrior you built? Prepare to build a firewarrior and put the square on top of it. Move it once up and 3 times right. Place. Build a gun drone beneath the new firewarrior. Deposit the rest of the gold.
Screenshot here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/flayl/TauWH40kTDlvl6.jpg
- You now have 13 Firewarriors, 2 Kroot Shapers and 1 Gun Drone

Before level 7: Build a gun drone in the down-left diagonal direction. Deposit your remaining gold.
- You now have 13 Firewarriors, 2 Gun Drones and 2 Kroot Shapers

Before level 8: This is the mechanical level. In your third diagonal build another gun drone and two kroot warriors. Deposit the rest.
- You now have 13 Firewarriors, 3 Gun Drones, 2 Kroot Shapers and 2 Kroot Warriors

Before level 9: Finish your third diagonal with a Kroot Warrior and then prepare the next one: Put the building square of a kroot warrior on top of the last one you built. Move the square down twice and three times to the left. Prepare another kroot warrior, this time put the square again on the kroot from the second diagonal and move it down once and three times to the right. Place and deposit the rest.
Screenshot here:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/flayl/TauWH40kTDlvl9.jpg
- You now have 13 Firewarriors, 5 Kroot Warriors, 3 Gun Drones and 2 Kroot Shapers

Before level 10: Just two more kroot warriors. After having the building square on top of your last kroot warrior, move it twice to the right and down once, then place. The next square goes on top of this warrior and the moves up 3 times. Deposit your gold.
Screenshot here:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/flayl/TauWH40kTDlvl10.jpg
- You now have 13 Firewarriors, 7 Kroot Warriors, 3 Gun Drones and 2 kroot Shapers

That's it for the first 10 levels. More to come later.

Level 5
FINALLY, I get to post the rest of the guide! Here it comes:

Before level 11:
Build a stealth warrior in your 4th diagonal. Save the rest of your gold.
- You now have 13 Firewarriors, 7 kroot Warriors, 3 Gun Drones, 2 Kroot Shapers and 1 Stealth Warrior

Before level 12:
These levels are good for saving up. Build a kroot warrior and deposit your gold.
- You now have 13 Firewarriors, 8 kroot Warriors, 3 Gun Drones, 2 Kroot Shapers and 1 Stealth Warrior

Before level 13:
Build another Firewarrior and deposit the rest.
- You now have 13 Firewarriors, 8 kroot Warriors, 3 Gun Drones, 2 Kroot Shapers and 2 Stealth Warriors

Before level 14:
Build just one more kroot warrior before depositing your gold.
- You now have 13 Firewarriors, 9 kroot Warriors, 3 Gun Drones, 2 Kroot Shapers and 2 Stealth Warriors

Before level 15:
This is the second air level. Upgrade ALL of your kroot warriors to kroot shapers and deposit the remaining gold.
- You now have 13 Firewarriors, 11 Kroot Shapers, 3 Gun Drones and 2 Stealth Warriors

Before level 16:
First boss level. Build a Stealth Warrior then sell the firewarrior in the third diagonal. Buil a Stealth Warrior in it's place. This should kill the bosses easily. Remember to deposit immediately after you kill one of them, to get a good interest bonus. As always, NEVER SELECT THEM, IT SPLITS THE SERVER.
- You now have 12 Firewarriors, 11 Kroot Shapers, 4 Stealth Warriors and 3 Gun Drones

Before level 17:
This is the second mechanical level. Replace the top firewarrior in the second diagonal with a hammerhead tank.
- You now have 11 Firewarriors, 11 Kroot Shapers, 4 Stealth Warriors, 3 Gun Drones and 1 Hammerhead tank

Before level 18:
Now it's time we prepare for the second boss level (it's that hard). Replace 2 firewarriors with Stealth warriors. These towers, thanks to their critical strike, have the best dps/cost efficiency. Research Ensnare and put it on autocast on all your kroot shapers.
- You now have 9 Firewarriors, 11 Kroot Shapers, 6 Stealth Warriors, 3 Gun Drones and 1 Hammerhead tank

Before level 19:
Replace 2 of your firewarriors with STealth Warriors, then deposit the remaining gold. Repeat until level 23.
- You now have 7 Firewarriors, 11 Kroot Shapers, 8 Stealth Warriors, 3 Gun Drones and 1 Hammerhead tank

Before level 23:
Replace the final firewarrior with a Stealth Warrior. Deposit the rest. You should have about +/- 1000 gold saved up.
- You now have 15 Stealth Warriors, 11 Kroot Shapers, 3 Gun Drones and 1 Hammerhead Tank

Before level 24:
I've discovered that no matter what you do, you're only going to kill one of these bosses. Here's how: Build as many Stealth Warriors as you can, so that they continue the maze and don't block. Now focus fire all your stealth warriors on one of the Hydras. You can't kill them both. After one of them is dead and while the other keeps on going ot the center, sell all these new stealth warriors, and the bottom gun drone. Deposit your gold.
- You now have 15 Stealth Warriors, 11 Kroot Shapers, 1 Gun Drone and 1 Hammerhead Tank

Before level 25:
Equip your Hammerhead tank with a railgun and build another hammerhead tank in the empty space from earlier. Upgrade it then deposit the rest.
- You now have 15 Stealth Warriors, 11 Kroot Shapers and 2 Hammerhead Tank with Railguns

Before level 26:
We're going to over-rely on ensnare for a bit, but it'll be worth it. Sell the top Hammerhead tank with railgun and the middle Stealth Warrior. Build 2 firewarriors just for mazing purposes. Deposit.
- You now have 14 Stealth Warriors, 11 Kroot Shapers, 2 Firewarriors and 1 Hammerhead Tank with Railgun

Before level 27:
Sell the middle firewarrior and build Commander O' Shava! Deposit the rest.
- You now have 14 Stealth Warriors, 11 Kroot Shapers, 1 Firewarrior, 1 Hammerhead Tank with Railgun and 1 Commander O' Shava

Before level 28:
Deposit your gold.
- You now have 14 Stealth Warriors, 11 Kroot Shapers, 1 Firewarrior, 1 Hammerhead Tank with Railgun and 1 Commander O' Shava

Before level 29:
Sell the last firewarrior and build a Hammerhead Tank. Turn off autocast ensnare just for this level.
- You now have 14 Stealth Warriors, 11 Kroot Shapers, 1 Firewarrior, 1 Hammerhead Tank with Railgun, 1 Commander O' Shava and 1 Hammerhead Tank

OK, this is as much as I can help you. If you did this right the only leak you should have until level 30 is that 1 War Hydra. It's impossible not to leak against the final levels without help form an ally. Of course if you can prove me wrong please do so! So this concludes Flayl's guide to Tau.

Status
Not open for further replies.