• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Flamestrike's Damage Over Time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Here is how I have Flamestrike configured (I'm using it through an item, if that matters):

Data - Full Damage Dealt: 75
Data - Full Damage Interval: 0
Data - Half Damage Dealt: 5
Data - Half Damage Dealt: 1
Data - Maximum Damage: 150 (I think I misinterpreted this...)

I want Flamestrike to do 150 damage total to a person who sticks around for the damage over time. Currently, the move does 75 damage right off the bat (as I want it to), but it does no damage after that (even though I have the debuff in the status section of my unit's 'card'). I'd like for the DoT to do 75 damage over 6 seconds (or 5 if it has to).

I was thinking Maximum Damage was the maximum damage it can do to one unit, but I'm begining to think it can only do 150 damage, then it cannot do any more. I'm still doing my testing with one unit (that has 150 life), and it's only taking 75.

Level 13
I was thinking Maximum Damage was the maximum damage it can do to one unit, but I'm begining to think it can only do 150 damage, then it cannot do any more. I'm still doing my testing with one unit (that has 150 life), and it's only taking 75.

Yes. Maximum damage is like you said here.

To do 150 damage you have to use also the "Full Damage Interval" field, example:

"Full Damage Dealt: 75
Full Damage Interval: 3.00
Duration: 6.00"

This deals 75 damage every 3 seconds, so 150 damage in total.

Well, if I remember correctly how does Flame Strike work. :huh:

Last edited:
Level 13
not really, as his total duration is meant to be 6 seconds, which means the full damage only strikes 2 times, although i don't know if that's what Zovc wanted. if not, you must basically set the maximum damage to 9999999 or something (unless you want the spell only deal a maximum amount) and then play around with the damage and damage intervalls, which is basic maths to create 150 total damage for each unit in the AOE

Level 2
Alright, so I tested the data rows you inquired about. The base programming behind Flame Strike is rather tricky to work with, but I can break it down for you now using the Blood Mage's Level 1 Flame Strike. Using these guidelines will give you a basic, perfectly modified Flame Strike (nothing special added)--

Stats - Duration - Normal: This has to be mentioned first, because it's an essential ingredient to creating a Flame Strike that not only works, but looks good. Blizzard has the default timer for Flame Strike set at 9.00. The Flame Strike animation lasts 3.00 seconds, and deals DoT damage for 6.00 additional seconds. Adding duration to this only adjusts the DoT duration and nothing else. But you have to take the 3.00 seconds of Flame Strike animation into consideration. The final formula will look like this:

(Flame Strike Duration - Normal) - (3.00 Initial damage intervals/Flame Strike animation duration) = (Damage over Time Duration)

Stats - Duration - Hero: Don't touch this. For some reason, it also applies the Duration - Normal length to Heroes despite being defaulted to 2.67 instead of 9.00. :ugly: Of course, by default, Heroes take 30% reduced damage from Magic, so take that into account as well.

Data - Full Damage Interval: This is a rather picky column. The ideal is the default setting (0.33), dealing "Full Damage Dealt" at every interval. Flame Strike's default is 15 Full Damage Dealt, at 0.33 Full Damage Interval, causing it to deal a total of 45 damage. Follow? If the Full Damage Interval is adjusted to 0.00, it will pass the damage one time, instantly, but it will fail to attach the "Flame Strike" buff. It isn't advised to set this to 0.00 or over 3.00, for that matter, as the flame strike animation will end after 3.00 seconds, which is also when the engine attaches the Flame Strike effect to the unit.

Data - Full Damage Dealt: As explained above, this variable is reliant on Full Damage Interval. It will deal this much damage per interval.

tl;dr You have a maximum of 3.00 intervals to distribute (default is 0.33, damaging the unit 9 times for 15 = total 45 damage over 3 seconds = 135 initial damage). Setting it to 0.00 cancels out the Flame Strike DoT effect.

Data - Half Damage Interval: You guessed it; this is your DoT interval. Remember what I said above in "Stats - Duration - Normal". Your total duration - 3.00 is the DoT effect duration. If your total duration is 9.00, the target takes DoT for the remaining 6.00 seconds. This is best to leave at 1.00, but if you want to modify it, go ahead.

Data - Half Damage Dealt: Simple. The unit takes this much damage per Half Damage Interval.

Data - Maximum Damage: Yes, this is the maximum damage that EACH unit can take. I have tested it with three control groups. A maximum damage of 90 (default) still dealt full damage to groups of 1, 3, and 5 units caught in the Area of Effect. Note that this doesn't include DoT factors, only the Full Damage Dealt data.

EDIT:

Forgot to include this part with the original post. So you want 150 total damage, dealing 75 initially.
Here is how you could set your values:

Data - Full Damage Dealt: 25 (25 * (3.00 initial damage interval/flame strike animation duration) = 75.00 damage)
Data - Full Damage Interval: 1.00
Data - Half Damage Dealt: 12.50 (12.50 * (6.00 DoT duration) = 75.00 damage)
Data - Half Damage Interval: 1.00
Data - Maximum Damage: 99999.00 (doesn't matter lol)
Stats - Duration - Normal: 9.00 (3.00 initial damage interval/flame strike animation duration + 6.00 remaining for DoT = 9.00 seconds total)

Of course, if you understood this post, you can set it however you want. But this is what I came up with. :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.