• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fixed and Freemode Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
So ... we all knew this day would eventually come... but we've reached a point in mapmaking, where for the sake of graphics and perfectionism we have to discuss wether to get rid of the free camera control...

The problem is, that the upcoming D4 causes a lot of trouble graphics wise, if we can not disable the fog of war completely. You all also know the problem that when viewing dungeon terrain from outside of the dungeon, it looks totally weird as the whole light environment is different.

In order to solve this, however, we require limitations of camera movement.
It also adds a little bit to the rpg-feel of the game.

So I'd like to know: what are your experiences with the custom camera system? Do you like it? Could you play with it? Do you have some suggestions to make it better?
Remember that there are two camera modes existing: an auto-rotation mode and a fixed mode. In both modes you can use left and right arrow keys to change the view of the camera and up and down arrow keys to change the viewing angle of the camera.

Level 6
Personally, I only use the default camera mode; the WC3-overhead style one.

I couldn't imagine doing the first-person view for this game...

Level 18
sure cool but how will we do d3 ? we got to move camera fast to heal / damage stuff and i'm ranger i got to use net on starting zombies i couldn't do this, this would limite very much the game so i'm not sure it's your choice though..
positive points:
noobs wouldn't see last parts of the game/ d4 stuff, negative : really lot of stuff..

Level 6
Well if you use the first 3d cam mode (without auto rotation) and press arrow down 4 times, you get somewhat of the usual birdseye perspective. Just not free to move... how is that?

Meh, I wouldn't care for it, tbh.

Easier to lock the camera over the user (no scrolling) when in a dungeon, IMO.

Level 13
I make solid use of scrolling, following the terrain, keeping an eye on your allies and upcoming encounters. I think it's extremely useful. I can't stand locked camera control. Only game I find that works with it is diablo 2

Level 3
I make solid use of scrolling, following the terrain, keeping an eye on your allies and upcoming encounters. I think it's extremely useful. I can't stand locked camera control. Only game I find that works with it is diablo 2

This.

I play on a laptop using my mousepad to scroll, with my hands crossed (aka, left hand on arrow keys, right hand on mousepad), which means I certainly value the ability to scroll around the map moreso than being able to hit hotkeys more precisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.