• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Fix: Re-skinned DeathCoil Missile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hello, I re-skinned the DeathCoil Missile, but it refuses to work. I want to use it as model for the Death Coil, as shown in the screenshot.

It only show the impact ( the Special Art, I think), but the skull missile is not shown, neither the glow.
I used the tutorial for multiple skins in one map and I am sure I did everything right.
It is viewable in the Viewer and Magos, but not ingame or WE.

I would be very glad if you could help me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Convert it back ? What do you mean ?
I tried it with .mdx and .mdl, both didn't work.

I will try yours as fast as possible, thank you.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hm, no, it is working in the sample map you uploaded, but not in my w3x map.

Strange...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
From personal experience it is something dumb with mdl and mdx.

If I recall it has to be a ".mdx" file but the editor needs to reference it as ".mdl". From what I understand WC3 uses ".mdl" files but they are really ".mdx". The entire ".mdl" format I think was made by third parties for text editing of models so the game itself cannot load it. Either that or old versions of WC3 used to support it.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

This does not explain why a .mdx does not work, does it ?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
This does not explain why a .mdx does not work, does it ?
The file you uploaded was not a mdx but was a mdl. Hence it cannot possibly work. The file Tickles uploaded is a mdx so should work.

Do remember that after importing and setting up the paths you need to save and restart the editor (reloading the map is not enough, you need to close worldedit.exe and restart it). What usually happens is the editor loads a missing model for the path because no such model could be found (as it was not fully imported at the time). Restarting worldedit.exe forces it to reload all assets and if the model was imported correctly it gets loaded properly as it is now in the path.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

But it doesn't, as you can see in the attachment of the 4th post.
Not even after re-loading WE. It works in the sample map, but not in mine.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I also imported Tickles's mdx file correctly and can confirm it does work using normal methods of importing models.

If it does not work for a specific map you will need to provide that specific map so we can investigate what is wrong with it. The model Tickles has provided itself does work in generic maps.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I am sure it is not the model from Tickles, but an issue with my map.
I tried to import the model to another, empty test map and it didn't work, too.

It seems to be a problem of my WE, although imported icons and skins work.
I will attach a sample map tomorrow, but I doubt we will get any use of it.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

AV ? I guess Anti-Virus.

I will try it tomorrow. I could not think of any reason why it should be blocked.
I recently had some problems with changing the location of the wc3 files,but they should be at their proper place now.

But wouldn't my AV block the import of the model in the map Tickles made ? Or is it something else as it already was imported ?

Level 21
Maybe it's a problem with the texture import where the path isn't right or the file is corrupt showing 0kb.

Either way, this new model should work and does not require a custom skin. It's about the same color as your custom skin version, but it uses a white glow as its base texture. So you can change the color to whatever you want just by changing its geoset animation color.

Attachments

• GeosetAnimColor.jpg
    GeosetAnimColor.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 76
  • DeathCoilMissile_NewPurple.mdx
    13.3 KB · Views: 68
  • NewDeathCoil.jpg
    NewDeathCoil.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 161

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Oh gosh, thank you so much, Tickles!

I don't understand what I did wrong, but now it works, that's what is important.

Thank you, Dr Super Good , for giving support!

Status
Not open for further replies.