• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

FeralPigeon

Almost every town, city, village, castle or ruin in the world has Feral Pigeons, yet they haven't yet been made for WC III. I thought that was strange and decided to make my own.

Alternative Skins for this model:

Please give credit if you use it in your map, thank you.

Update 1: Added an icon.
Update 2: Decreased the texture quality, decreasing filesize by about 16 kb. I'll try to find the Mdlvid-thingy.
Update 3: Changed the neck wrap and removed the funky mesh in the wings. I can't change the alpha on the head though, since my version of photoshop doesn't seem to support alpha layers.
Update 4: Removed transparency on head and front of wings and made the material two-sided. No legs because you do not normally see a pigeon's legs in flight.
Update 5: New portrait and improved the texture on the head a bit.

Keywords:
bird, pigeon, dove, critter, flyer, feral, city, town, avian, grey
Contents

FeralPigeon (Model)

FeralPigeon (Model)

Reviews
00:22, 26th Aug 2009 Cavman: There's only a few things that can be done to improve this model. Fix the wrap around the neck. Theres a bit of left over mesh on the wings that looks funky. And lastgly, fix the alpha channel under the head, makes a...

M

00:22, 26th Aug 2009
Cavman:
There's only a few things that can be done to improve this model. Fix the wrap around the neck. Theres a bit of left over mesh on the wings that looks funky. And lastgly, fix the alpha channel under the head, makes a hole.

2nd Sep 2009
Pyritie: Unwrap is still kinda funky but it's better. The tail feathers' material should be two-sided. Also no legs?

DonDustin: improve the portrait please :/

14th May 2010:
Changes and additions are made, resource approved.

Level 9
cus it hasn't been updated only posted one time

gona see how it looks

COMMENT:

+ works in game
+ i think it looks nice :)
+ can be useful
+ animations look well with the bird
+ portrait looks nice

- uses a custom texture
(but doesn't matter)

overall its very nice :) + rep
Voted for approval

Level 16
1. Make the material TwoSided (can be done in magos)
2. You can compress the texture using W3Viewer, down to 75% without getting any noticeable loss of quality, and you'll get it down to ~30kb
3. You can optimize the models animations in mdlVis (a Russian tool, but there's a translated version out there somewhere) and also the model will be ~30kb big

that's the most optimizing you could do without any noticeable quality loss AFAIK.

Level 3
hmm i think it might be good if u are going to make flying form for druids in wow map :)

Level 9
Good!.

The only bad thing here is size and custom texture
But all else is nice, it will give some nice athmosphere wandering on a city and one of these flies over you will look great.

A good use will be putting them on the ground (without any animation, like, paused) then when you get close they will fly away putting some wings sounds.

Since the vulture is the only bird in the game we are short of nice birds not some ugly ones >.<

Nice +rep
Bye

Level 2
Pretty awesome looking! Not sure I'll use it personally, but if I do I'll wait until you lower the filesize a bit more with those suggested programs.