• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fel Stalker skin path?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I want to import 3 felhound skins into my map.
I already have two working skins for the paths units\Demon\felhound\Felhound.blp and units\creeps\FelstalkerPurple\FelstalkerPurple.blp but the standard creep unit Fel Stalker does not use either of these.
Does anyone know the skin path to the Fel Stalker? Just taking the model path and changning.mdl to .blp does not work. Thanks in advance.

Level 13
You can use the tool CASC Viewer to view all of the game files, maybe you can find it there.

But I think maybe this is what you're looking for?
units\Demon\felhound\felstalker.blp
Thanks, i'll have a look. the path unfortunately does not solve the issue, i had seen it on skin uploads here previously and tried it, forgot to mention. it seems to be a deprecated path as far as i can tell.

To understand something like this, what I do is to open different versions of Warcraft 3 in the Retera Model Studio and browse the model files and textures.

Here is what I see for the felhound:

1. In the year 2002 for the Reign of Chaos game there was Units\Demon\felhound\felhound.mdx model which has in the model that it will use texture file Units\Demon\felhound\felhound.blp.
  2. In the year 2003 there was the Frozen Throne expansion. In this expansion, a new model file was added named Units\Demon\felhound\felhound_V1.mdx and this new model uses a new texture file Units\Demon\felhound\felstalker.blp. At the same time, although it is less confusing, there was a purple version of the model added named Units\Creeps\felstalkerPurple\felstalkerPurple.mdx in this expansion and that uses the texture Units\Creeps\felstalkerPurple\felstalkerPurple.blp as you mentioned previously.
  3. Now, for many years, if your custom unit in the World Editor in the Object Editor's Units tab had the setting Art - Model File - Extra Versions set to The Frozen Throne then it would use texture file Units\Demon\felhound\felstalker.blp but if was set to Art - Model File - Extra Version with value Reign of Chaos then your unit would use the Units\Demon\felhound\felhound.blp texture file. [Note the difference between "stalker" and "hound" at the end.]
  4. In the year 2020 there was Reforged and the Patch 1.32 upgrade to the game. On or around this version of the game, a Blizzard employee thought they were being smart moving around files so they moved the texture for the FelHound so that it would use Textures\FelHound.dds as the texture file regardless of your Art - Model File - Extra Versions setting.
I did not check exactly which patch it was when Blizzard moved the texture to "Textures\FelHound" so it is possible that might have happened in Patch 1.30 or 1.31 as well. I checked Patch 1.26 and Patch 1.29 and in both cases they had the Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne texture paths.

So, to help you any further, it will be really important to know which version of the game you have because the texture for the FelHound has moved all over across the game versions, as described above. If you are not sure where the texture is on your version, I advise you to extract the FelHound model from your specific game version and then look at what the file path to the texture is in your version. Because as noted above, this texture moved at least once during the development of the 1.30s.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.