• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Favorite Legend of Zelda game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
I've recently been playing through all the Zelda games besides 4 swords adventures and I was wondering which game was your favorite?

As for me my favorite is Twilight Princess, a lot might argue that it's Majora's Mask or Ocarina of Time and even though Majora's Mask definitely is my second favorite and Ocarina my forth and are extremely awesome games.

I love the dark theme they have in both Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess I still feel that Twilight Princess outdoes Majora's Mask in some vital points. First we have the fact that Twilight Princes makes you feel like you've made a difference in the world unlike Majora's Mask where you save the Deku princess, cleanse their land and save the adorable monkey just to undo it all by traveling back in time. Even though I love the limited time aspect of the game I think there are better ways to solve it than undoing everything you've accomplished. The second thing I think Twilight Princes does better is that it seems like half of the dark aspect of Majora's Mask is the racism surrounding the game, and a game where half of the characters go around expressing themselves as Jimmie Åkesson and Adolf Hitler quickly losses its charm. Thirdly is the companions, in Majora's Mask we seem to have Tatl compared to the awesome Midna in Twilight Princess and you quickly realize that Midna is the best companion we've ever seen in any Zelda game. And the last thing and a very minor thing is the graphic, and I'm by no means saying that games from 2000 or 1989 are supposed to be able to compete with Twilight Princess, but Twilight Princess has the best graphic to date and all the details just makes the game so much more appealing and gives it higher re-playability.

The sand temple in Twilight Princess also happens to be my favorite temple of all time with the spinning disc that you need to use and the final boss of the temple, the giant fossil is also the best boss ever in my opinion. Not to mention that Twilight Princess has the best female character of all time, Agitha. (She could replace Zelda and I wouldn't even be mad.)

twilight_princess_toon_by_samayume-d63yqz0.jpg

So which game is your favorite Legend of Zelda game, please share your opinion with the rest of the forum.

Last edited:
Level 11
Well, in my opinion. I never cared for the high graphics of the game, nor how low it was. But my favorite was "Majora's Mask". Why? Some may ask. Well...

1. You could of turned into multiple other forms.
2. The story line was very fitting and it's lullabies were very beautiful.
3. The story line of most characters was realistic and quite sad. It would also make you wonder on what you would do if you only had three days left to live. It's story was very emotional to the core.
4. Some aspects of the game were funny. Such as that fairy boy.
5. Zelda's fight styles in that game rocked and he looked way much like a hero the world needed.
6. The constant thinking in the game required, secrets, and other stuff you would have to discover. But you only had three days to find out where they are, while each of those days held a very specific thing in them. For example. Only in the final day is the grave keeper's house opened. Such mysteries were scattered and you had to guess which of those three days held them.
7. The outer areas of Clock Town described every race perfectly, including their culture. It seemed as if you traveled around the whole world even if you had so little time. Or did you?

Level 24
Thank you for sharing your opinion, Majora's Mask is definitely my second favorite game even though I both love and hate the three day aspect the fact that you could turn into other forms was awesome, though my favorite is the the deku shrub turning into a goron always made you feel like a bad@$$ rolling around like crazy and feeling like one of those Star Wars destroyer droids.

Droidekapromo.jpg

Level 24
Yep, until you would fall in water. In that case a loud "????" would be heard!

That's what I love about deku shrubs there is no water cold or poisonous enough for the deku to be unable to jump across it. Also those sad eyes makes me want to hug him until he chokes on love. <3

Last edited:
Warning: This post has some spoilers for Ocarina of time, Twilight Princess, Wind waker, majora's mask, and Link to the Past.

Ocarina of time had the best memories for me. I guess I have extra sentimental value to it since it was my first Zelda game. I remember thinking that it was going to be over after we got the three orbs or w/e for the temple of time, and at that point, I was wondering why they made the Link in SSB64 look older... and then boom, hell breaks loose, adult link appears, and then there is a batch of new levels etc. to experience. The only sad part about the adult world is that the castle town is destroyed. Doing the town-related stuff is by far my favorite thing to do in all Zelda games. :( The game had such awesome exploration, and it was just a cool experience.

Twilight princess is probably second, at maybe a nanometer apart from ocarina (they would share a spot if it was physically possible). They both appealed to me differently. I loved Midna's character, I loved the graphics, and the music was fantastic (my favorite of all the games). Exploring was so much fun, and I think I clocked in over 60 hours on my first play-through. I still feel sad listening to the Lake Hylia music. I can only feel that particular kind of nostalgia with particular games (pretty much Zelda.. and WoW, and Banjo kazooie). It was one of those games that you didn't want to end. The story line was very compelling, and it took me about a week to recover from the fact that I had finished.

Wind waker is also very close to first. I suppose it is 3rd. I loved the sailing and all that. The music was awesome, and the whole game was very cute. I loved the story as well, and seeing the king was a pretty awesome addition. The whole "flooded-world" concept is wonderful. And I loved Windfall Island. Sadly, I finished most of the Windfall Island things very early, so I didn't have a whole lot of "random" things to do towards the end of the game. I could collect treasures, but they just gave rupees, and I didn't have a whole lot of things to do at that point. IMO, they should've added another town. I know it is a sheet load of work, but I always wanted there to be another one so I could do random things again. :( But I loved all parts of the game, and I loved the items they added (e.g. the leaf, the wind waker, etc.) And Link's facial expressions are hilarious.

Majora's mask. Once again, I loved the game. It was a very bold game (and yet, I put the world 'bold' in italics, lol). At first, I was totally against the timed concept. If anything, I love taking hours to go through a level. However, after I realized how it played into everything, I was okay with it. I think it was a really cool concept overall. It still had a decent share of frustrations, but I think it had the most hilarious memories. The levels were pretty stressful to set-up, get into, finish, and do the surrounding stuff for--but the world-related things were awesome. Clock town was so much fun, especially with Anju & Kafei's story. I felt like a detective.

A Link to the Past. My favorite 2D game. I don't know if I can really compare it with the 3D games. It has its own sort of spectrum. The game was pretty challenging for me at the time. I didn't play it when the SNES was popular. I played it after I had already played Ocarina (and completed it after Majora's Mask, Twili Princess, and WW). I literally can't play the game for too long without my hand hurting, because D-pads suck. But the game genuinely had tough boss battles. Some I thought were literally impossible. I actually NEEDED to stock up on fairies before bosses (ik, I suck). There are some people who can do them without getting hit. If I were that good, I'd likely develop arthritis. Anyway, the game was genuinely puzzling. It had you do world stuff in order to do the levels properly, so I had to do a lot of moving and exploring. It was a lot of fun. I didn't feel the same way with the story as I did with the other games, but it was still a great game. I loved the gradual build-up of power, and I liked that they gave you very little exposition. They didn't ever make something perfectly clear.. such as using the shovel. I literally thought I had to dig around the entire world (and the entire dark/light world) to get the stupid thing.

As for the other games, I haven't played them (yet). I played Four Swords adventures (just a few levels of it so far). It is pretty fun, but it is more-so something you'd expect to play in an arcade. It is a cool concept, I just hate that they require you to use gameboy's for multiplayer (I'd 100% rather prefer split screen), and the levels are a lot of mashing. I want to get Skyward Sword, but with the Wii U out, I find it senseless to get a Wii. I'll probably wait for the price of the Wii U to go down (or for the next Zelda console release [btw, I'm very excited]), and then I'll play skyward sword on it. I don't have too much of an interest to play the first two zelda's (on NES). I'm sure they're awesome, but I know they don't meet the "Zelda" game standards of the 3D games, and pale compared to LttP. I might get the gameboy games if I really want to try them, but I haven't had the desire to play my gameboy in a while. I don't own a DS or 3DS, so I can't play a Link Between Worlds. I think I'd like that game though, since it is actually supposed to be a "sequel" to LttP.

Overall, the Zelda games are all very dear to me. I haven't been disappointed yet. It is very difficult to find good console adventure games nowadays, so having the Zelda series still alive and well leaves me something to look forward to. :D I always play them with my sister during summers, and it is the best (which makes it even more sentimental, because I don't associate it with school or work at all). I've begun replaying Ocarina, but I haven't replayed any of the other games yet. It is a little too soon–I really wish I could just wipe my memory and play them all over again. But I will replay them eventually, and I still have a motive too. I don't think I've finished any of the games 100%. My sister and I were sure not to use any walkthroughs or anything. If we got stuck, we'd stay stuck until we figured out wtf to do. It makes the game all the more enjoyable. True, I end up missing things here and there, but I'll get it next time. :) The only issue is that it makes it a bit difficult to discuss with other people. I remember I was talking about Majora's mask with my friend as I was going through it, and he revealed so many things I had never heard of. Majora's mask is probably the most incomplete game for me, so it'll be a lot of fun to replay it.

P.S. Sorry for the wall of text. If you would like this to stop, you gotta stop making interesting topics. I'm supposed to be studying. ;-;

Level 24
It's a very nice list and very similar to my own top 5. ^^ Thank you for sharing your opinion and don't worry about "the wall of text", it just makes the post that much better since it's a lot of opinion put into it.

Level 30
I liked Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass on the DS and Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap on the GBA.

These are the only ones I played but might surely try the others. For the Phantom Hourglass, it is interesting but things got pretty confusing which made me give up on the puzzles on the Temple of Seas (is that the name, I kind of forgot) where you have to avoid Guardians roaming. I cannot solve a drawing puzzle there and watched youtube for it and still even if I am drawing the correct shape, it won't work and so gave up sadly.

Level 24
If you've got a Nintendo Wii you can do as I did and just buy them all on the internet for 10 euro each. And since the euro has decreased in value by almost 20% it's a great time to buy the games.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Wind Waker probably as it had the best combat system.

Twilight princess I had the Wii version which had poorish motion controls although on my second playthrough they were not as bad as I thought originally. Skyward sword combat almost trumped Wind Waker but there were far too many precision cut/timing enemies and no iron-knuckles/dark nuts which made it boring. Ocarina of time was ok but quite lack luster compared to modern Zelda entries. Majors Mask is probably one of the lowest Zelda games due to its stressful nature and some insane mini-games and the disappointment of Fierce Deity link not being usable anywhere. A link to the past was pretty high end although its high level of difficulty (mostly due to poor controls such as bad hit swing) let it down. Oracle of seasons and ages were the best mobile Zelda titles with nice combat, reasonable difficulty and pretty complex game play for something that was a GBC game. Phantom hour glass and spirit tracks were kind of lame and lacked what made wind waker great. The game boy one (forget name) was just too buggy and broken to really be fun. The original was great for a nes game but is lack luster in this day and age. A link between worlds I cannot comment on as never played it personally but it sounds a bit too grindy with the need to buy items for high prices from what someone in my family said.

Level 24
You seem to say few positive things about the Zelda games even though I suspect you like them a great deal considering you've played so many. Though the only game it seems like you dislike is Majora's Mask though how much the player likes that game mostly depends on how the player handle stress.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You seem to say few positive things about the Zelda games even though I suspect you like them a great deal considering you've played so many.
Yeh but most of them have that in common. I was mentioning what they do not have.

So far Wind Waker has the best combat system which is why I would have to say it is the best Zelda. Sure Ocarina of Time was longer but sword combat was quite limited and less smooth. Skyward Sword had nice length and at first seemed to have good combat but eventually you hit the annoying parts, namely electricity.

Why the Master Sword has a solid metal handle and is apparently made of copper I will never understand. What is more I will never understand how the heck the player was meant to know that you could steal the downwards lightning bolts from demise, especially seeing how everything else electric fried you.

Yes I am one of those idiots who had to beat Demise without charging their sword. It took me 3 tries and about 30 minutes each but eventually I did it. I know the current speed run record holders do it for speed but I am guessing they ran him a lot to get used to his attack timings since one wrong move (he blocks you) and you can kiss 2-4 hearts goodbye, if he does not counter attack for even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.