• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Favorite and most beautiful tileset

Those are possible choices:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
Hey guys, I wonder something. What is your favorite/most beautiful tileset environment and why for? Frozen Throne has about 18 tilesets, I tried to group them as possible on similarity and put 10 groups for voting and discussion. It is matter of taste, and I want to see yours.Does it have all necessery stuff which you like, does it look beautiful, does it have vegetation, nice effects, life forms, native creeps, storyline? Why do you chose them to play/create maps?
For example, someone may have winter as favorite season because of cold, snow etc.... So he may find Icecrown Glacier and similar best choice because of snowy/frozen environment, possibility of snow storms etc etc... Let me know your choice. Vote and post comment please, I will post mine later.

Heavy/Thick/Mysterious Forest (Ashenvale)
Savanna,Desert,Prahistoric,Wildness (Barrens)
Red planet,Mars styled dimension (Outland-Black Citadel)
,,Urban" Areas,Medieval City (Cityscape-Dalaran,Dalaran Ruins)
Lava areas, hot caves (Dungeons)
Swamps, Poisoned/Corrupted areas (Felwood)
Cold/Frozen/Winter regions (Icecrown Glacier,Lordaeron Winter,Northrend,Underground)
Summer areas (Lordaeron summer, Village)
Autumn/Fall (Lordaeron fall, village fall)
Tropical/Jungle islands and areas (Sunken Ruins)

Level 34
Guys, thanks for posting here. Time for me. Well, as Demons/Fel orcs are my favorite race, some may think that Outland is best tileset for me. Indeed it is because of that fact and red flying Mars style around, but it is second place.
I still have my favorite environment. I voted for Sunken Ruins.
Sunken Ruins is my favorite for several reasons: Tropical beuatiful area. Can be made as jungle. Can be made as Island with lot of tropical elements. Can be made as archipelago, group of small islands. Can be made to battle/explore in the middle of ruined city, ancient civilization. Can be made underground, like Tomb of Sargeras and underground tropical caves.
Also, from lore view, it is ancient area where Highborn night elves were. When sunwell imploded it created huge maelstrom. So, borken isles are located near maelstrom which causes constant storms, rains, thunder and lightning in some parts of broken isles. That is why certain maps have thunders and flashings all over them. It can have awesome beaches, nice crystal view but can be very dangerous place. Also, there are unique creeps and creatures only to those tileset. Also, there is Naga. They melt easily with environment, with corals and native life forms. Also their buildings are made of those ruined materials which contains water, corals and elements seen in jungle. Those can be placed as decorations as well.
Overally it has great potential, and I chosed it for favorite tileset :cgrin:

Level 15
I love fall but I hate Blizzard's version of it. Pines do not get brown/orange-ish like trees with leaves do. Pines remain green in all seasons. Grass too remains green, unless it's a really hot summer. But SUMMER, not FALL! And the reason why the ground is so orange/brown-ish during fall is not grass, but all the dead leaves that fell from the trees.
And this orange grass and orange pines become green again in the winter tileset because fuck logic. So realistically a Lordaeron Fall should be green because it only has pines for trees.
So my vote goes for Broken Isles. You spend more than half of time in the Frozen Throne's Night Elf campaign in it and it's a really underappreciated tileset. You also return to it briefly in the Rexxar's campaign.

Last edited:
Level 19
Hey why can't I vote for two :(

I just like the floating rocks you can get from Mars, but I mainly like the island and their trees. Plus you don't see much of the ocean in the game so I like all the star fish and other suck tile pieces

Level 20
Well I honestly dislike default RoC tiles besides Ashenvale. My second choice would have been Sunken Ruins but only one vote and Ashenvale is simply much more useful. Personally I hate the whole limitation of tiles and grouping them into set groups instead of having freedom to mix and match and have more than one biome on a map.

Level 34
Hey why can't I vote for two :(

My second choice would have been Sunken Ruins but only one vote

Well, I wanted one man one vote :cgrin:
VeljkoM, you know that presidential elections here are approaching, then we must adapt haha

None of them as they all have boarder seams due to incorrect tiling logic being used to create them.
Then how do you solve this issue yourself? Create new tilesets, new logic, what?

@RedCrusader , I see that you are only one here ,,Urban" guy. You seem to like the most law and order, parks, buildings, civilization.... Unlike rest of us. Forests, jungles, falls :cgrin:

@deepstrasz, Felwood eh? Nice one. Are you looking for swamp creature there? hahahaha

So guys, seems that Ashenvale is leading with 7 votes. Falls and Sunken Ruins got 3. I am surprised noone chosed chaotic Outland as favorite yet haha

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Then how do you solve this issue yourself? Create new tilesets, new logic, what?
Tile blocks inside tile textures need a 1 pixel border for 32*32 blocks and 2 pixel boarder for 64*64 (standard high quality) blocks.

Here is an example image showing the difference of boarder against wrong boarder or boarder-less. Left is seamless grass with roughly generated 2 pixel boarder while right is standard Warcraft III grass. Do note that one can still see boarder repetition on the seamless tiles marking where each tile starts, however there is no discontinuous seam between tiles like there is with the standard grass.
seamless-vs-non-seamless-jpg.256820

A problem is that the UV coordinates used by terrain chunks do not dynamically adjust for different texture sizes. Hence why only a 1 pixel wide boarder is needed for 32*32 blocks but 2 pixels for 64*64 blocks. For 32*32 blocks the UV wrap corners are centered in the middle of the edge pixels. For 64*64 blocks the corners are exactly in the middle between pixels of a 2*2 edge pixel block, meaning the actual tile boundary colour is resolved via bilinear filtering.

I am sure some artist could devise an approach of making good looking seamless tiles without noticeable boarders. I am not a good artists...

Last edited:
Level 34
I love fall but I hate Blizzard's version of it. Pines do not get brown/orange-ish like trees with leaves do. Pines remain green in all seasons. Grass too remains green, unless it's a really hot summer. But SUMMER, not FALL! And the reason why the ground is so orange/brown-ish during fall is not grass, but all the dead leaves that fell from the trees.
And this orange grass and orange pines become green again in the winter tileset because fuck logic. So realistically a Lordaeron Fall should be green because it only has pines for trees.
Hmm... What you say is mostly right. We have pines and other conifers around and they are not getting yellow during winter. They are always green. Only grass can be yellow as well, some of grasses here got yellow, and bushes and rest of environment, not all types of grass are same (I just looked in my garden. Grass is mostly green itself, however, many parts of it are green indeed or ,,dry" color, it definitively has change), but yes, as you pointed out, majority of golden stuff on ground is because of dead leaves from trees. And yes, in WC3 in Winter they got green again.
But I think they did it to make tileset different from others. For example Lodraen winter trees have snow on them regardless they are green, so they have white effect as far I remember. And trees makes most of terrain. So, obviously they decided to make it different, regardless if it is logical or not. But yes I agree with you. However I would also felt boring to see everything almost same.
I also think of second, another case. Perhaps that Lordean fall is just meant failing of Kingdom as well, since Arthas killed his father and Undeads rule over lands. So, death, devastation and even change of environment happened. That could cause trees to grow yellow. if that is case, it is more logical than simple season changes, as you pointed out.

Autumn Tile-sets and it's environment sound-set is awesome
hehe Roland is only one guy here who used sound effects as point, even I forgot about those. Yes, sounds often adds effects to overall feel of some environment.

Level 34
Guys, even Ralle came here on my invitation.
@Ralle , Haha! I mistaken. I really expected that you will vote for Ashenvale, but you voted for Sunken Ruins. I did not know that you are fan of tropical climate. Maybe just iked Night Elf campaign in Broken Isles. They made awesome terrain there.

@General Frank , Thank you for posting and voting.
Surprisingly, your taste matches with taste of Panderan brewmaster, adventurer. He is seen once in broken Isles and in Outland, but mostly he is present in Barrens alongside with Rexxar and Shadow Hunter in many missions.
Guys, I also wonder why people underrate barrens. Only General Frank voted for it. I see potential there, in ROC I like barrens the most. It has nice wildness, rogue life forms and creeps, nice nature.

Level 20
Sunken Ruin sand is really not that great for the proper desert sand. There are way better custom sand tiles on hive.

Funny thing about sunken ruin doodads is how they make no sense as they represent ancient elven cities that were in the middle of continent and quite far from any coast. If it was naga redecorating then one wonders why they are still ruins. Also wish doodads were less green.

Level 34
well, the people keep telling me i fell from mars :cgrin: so i choose outland and black citadel tilesets
Very interesting. My favorite race came from Outland, but I voted for Sunken Ruins, and your favorite race came from Sunken Ruins but you voted for Outland. Hahaha

Sunken Ruin sand is really not that great for the proper desert sand. There are way better custom sand tiles on hive.
But without custom tiles, this one is best from what we got for sand desert. We only lack Pyramid.

Funny thing about sunken ruin doodads is how they make no sense as they represent ancient elven cities that were in the middle of continent and quite far from any coast. If it was naga redecorating then one wonders why they are still ruins. Also wish doodads were less green.
I like those doodads. It reminds me of old Jungle adventure movies with ancient temples. That is why blizzard chosed it, not to folow much logic but to incorporate something new and nice. And obviosly, that fir mostly to SUnken Ruins, because it cannot be put in any tileset. But for sure that it does not represent much of ancient elf empire. its just of sake of beauty, ancient jungle style (Indiana Jones and so on)

Level 34
Actually you still could have ruins that are cool just without sea shells and sea horse statues, it isn't jungle style really it is ocean style. In fact those doodads would look better if they were a bit darker and without fish stuff.
I also think this as well, however Blizzard probably though that those ,,fish" styles would fit since Broken Isles came out of sea floor. They just wanted this to put somewhere. And this Naga architecture is heavy related to Ruins architecture. Perhaps according to blizzard, someone must be decorating those ruins all time during on sea floor. That must be Naga :cgrin:
Thus why you have fishes and other weird stuff there haha

Level 8
I don't find any tileset the most beautiful I mostly I find it beautiful if a tileset is used well. A map with monotone Ashenvale grass or dirt is very unappealing. Almost any tile with 2 variations all over the screen is not nice (sometimes I just experiment with tilesets than i find this is a very bad idea.)
I can't think of a favorite tileset.
I like Dungeon, Underground and Barrens the least. Barrens can be really unnatural and unappaeling without grass tiles.

Level 23
Sunken Ruins 4 lyfe ^_^

Sun, sea, sand, ancient ruins... It always felt like Sunken Ruins had 10x the doodads available for it than any other tileset, plus a little bit of green tinting could bring other stuff into the mix, so it's very easy to make very vibrant and varied locations. For example, I squeezed beach, temple, swamp, jungle and underground tomb biomes out of it in one map -- I can't imagine any other tileset being so versatile (would love to be proven wrong of course!).

Level 15
For me the Icecrown Glacier is the most beautiful, because the variety of the icy doodads. Put down a glacier, rock or icy rock, and on then, a crystal. (Also change their pathing to musroom, so you can place them even better. ) It looks beautiful, especially in large numbers. Tileset is also creative, you can make ice, dirt,and even stone paths.

The second on would be Ashenvale, the forest has really nice doodads, musrooms, and logs. The variety of tilesets, e.g. grassy dirt, stone and leaves, makes this terrain even more beautiful. Felwood is similar.
The third would be Sunken ruins, a nice beach terrain. But for me, the Icecrown Glacier is the most beaufitul, you can even make an icy palace.

Status
Not open for further replies.