• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Fast Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello :)

As the name says I was thinking about making a fast travel system for my map. It is easy to make a unit enter a region and then move it to another one but that would be too easy and would not let the player actually choose where he wants to travel.
My question is :

Is is possible to let the player choose where he can teleport himself using only GUI ( no JASS please ) ?

PS : If this system ( or whatever it should be called ) is already on HIVE , I am sorry I posted the thread. I didn't saw it.

Level 3
First of all sorry about the stupid question :) I am still learning all this stuff. It's kinda easy but takes time.
Second of all.
@XiiaOYanG12 I didn't thought about that.
@KILLCIDE I was thinking about speaking to a certain NPC to let them teleport or maybe using a town portal scroll in which the player can choose where he can travel. Of course he must first "discover" that place.
Thanks for the quick answers btw :)

Level 37
I was thinking about speaking to a certain NPC to let them teleport or maybe using a town portal scroll in which the player can choose where he can travel. Of course he must first "discover" that place.
Then all you have to do is have the player select the location using some sort of dummy spell. When they cast the ability, teleport the casting unit to target location of ability.

Level 3
That could work , yeah. Thanks for the help KILLCIDE !

Will the range work on that spell ? I mean...some of the places the player can teleport to are far from each other. ( first 2 are near each other ( more or less ) but the others are far )

Level 24
I would make a... o wait... no JASS.
Well in that case, you could use Mass Teleport (my favorite stun spell on a side note) to teleport the unit.
Make it only able to target specific types of units, for example Ancient.
Then you classify all the portal locations as ancients so it can teleport to them.
If you use it on the minimap, it will be so nice to auto target the ancient near your cursor.

I assume that the "undiscovered" thing is already implemented (so it would require no triggers at all... for now) so that would be amazing in the first place.

To polish it, you could have some system to see if a unit has been in combat recently (with a constant timeout), and stop the teleport if the unit was in combat. And on top of that, cancel the teleport when the unit is damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.