• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Fall of Sharizan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Fall of Sharizan
[Introduction]

Destruction had been wrought upon Braizenhome, farms burned and villagers slain in the ruthlessness of their murderers. The Lord should've heeded the warnings and rantings from the villagers, yet he... we... did nothing. The small fort Alcarth, only a few days ride from Sharizan, has now fallen under the same banners that destroyed Braizanhome. This enemy, shrouded in darkness and fear, marches toward Sharizan, careless to what lays in it's way. But fortune has forgiven us for our will to ignore. A rough blizzard has come across the land, killing visibility after a few meters, and chilling colds that bite at skin. The blizzard will slow the enemy down, yet the Lord refuses to believe enemies are on his doorstep, and refuses to prepare the fortress for battle. You must send reinforcements, lest Sharizan will fall and the enemy will march into Colagan, razing the unprotected towns on the sides of Mount Eranor.

- Letter to Baron Erquan, of Colagan,
from Chancellor Haston, of Sharizan.

Welcome to the frozen wastelands of Sharizan and Colagan, two countries adjacent to each other, yet separated by the vast mountain range Mount Eranor. Enemies march towards the fortress named after the country, and the Lord does nothing to prepare his fortress for this upcoming war. His chancellor, Haston O'Braek, refuses to give up in this time of need, and sent a message to the Baron Erquan of Colagan to send reinforcements. He stills awaits a reply, which cannot come with the recent heavy blizzards that he hopes will slow down the enemy.

Fall of Sharizan is the first campaign in a series of campaigns I am creating. It will include around 15 maps, each with beautiful landscapes full of large snowy plains, huge mountains, icy caverns, realistic blizzards and frozen lakes. Missions will alternate between the story of the Chancellor, trying to protect as many people as he can and find reinforcements, and a commander from Colagan sending a large army of men over the snow-swept plains of the country, through icy caverns, and towards the fortress of Sharizan.

* Beautifully forged landscapes
, each realistic and engaging. Travel through snowy wastelands, icy caverns and mountain peaks.

* Realistic battles. Regular soldiers have low health, extremely low health, in which two or three shots will kill them. But soldiers are plentiful, and battles will have other helpful units like siege weaponry, magic and weather that can turn the tide of a battle.

* Cached heroes, this is a must of course.

* Triggered abilities with awesome effects.

* Many side quests to engage on, all completely optional, but with items and other rewards that might help you later on it the campaign.

* Randomization! Everybody loves a game with randomization that allows repeatability. That is why I am attempting (and your help and suggestions are much appreciated and welcomed) to completely randomize some, if not most, of the parts of the game. Items are easy, and yet with such a wide variety I can successfully create the feeling that drops are totally random. I would also like to have rare enemies that may spawn, some side-quests not being added to a play-through, and dungeon entrances sometimes and sometimes not being there (explained later).

* Dungeons. The entrances are covered with a blue glow, and when you enter to are teleported to a separate area of the map, in the bottom corners for example, where you can go through a labyrinth of corridors or chasms depending on the dungeon. At the end of the dungeon is a chest and a boss (with fully triggered phases and abilities to make them more fun and enjoyable), and a teleportation stone that sends you to the beginning of the dungeon.

* A fully engaged and exciting storyline full of revenge, hate, war and betrayal. But there's no love story in this campaign:

Most of these features are already implemented into the game. The only things I haven't finished completely is the terrain (still only half-way done), the randomization which I have yet to figure out if it's completely possible, some of the side quests and all of the dungeons other then one. I'll also try to post up screenshots of each of these features.

[Campaign Completion]

Prologue Cinematic: Urgent Message - 100%.
Mission 1 (Chancellor): A Speedy Escape - 75%.
Mission 2 (Colagan Commander): Orders - 0%.
Mission 3 (Chancellor): Wandering in the Snow - 20%.
Mission 4 (Colagan Commander): The Wastes of Colagan - 0%.
Mission 5 (Chancellor): The Enemy Marching - 0%.
Mission 6 (Colagan Commander): Through Eranor's Caves - 0%.
Mission 7 (Chancellor): The Peak of Mount Eranor - 0%.
Mission 8 (Colagan Commander): Reinforcement Rendezvous - 0%.
Mission 9 (Combined): Grim News - 0%.
Mission 10 (Combined): Shortcut to the Battle - 0%.
Mission 11 (Chancellor): The Lord's Report - 0%.
Mission 12 (Colagan Commander): Against the Forces of Hell - 0%.
Mission 13 (Combined): Sharizan's Stand - 0%.
Mission 14 (Chancellor): Flee from War - 0%.
Mission 15 (Colagan Commander): Fate of the Fortress - 0%.
Epilogue Cinematic: The Fall of Sharizan - 50%.

Recent Mission Progress: [1] A Speedy Escape, 60% to 75%.

None so far, since I have the map on another computer. When I get the map, I'll take some screenshots both in game and in the editor, and post them here. This will take from a few hours to a day or two.

The Chancellor Haston O'Braek is a sturdy man, built with muscle from his ten year service in the Sharizan Iron Guard, an elite group of warriors who defend the Lord of Sharizan personally. The Lord requested that a new Chancellor be put forward to him after his old one mysteriously disappeared. Haston had walked forward and claimed his knowledge of the jobs a Chancellor had to oversee. The Lord, without any thought on it, had hired him. Over the years, Haston O'Braek had secretly been planning to murder and overthrow the Lord for his disregard of any serious situation. But when the enemy marched onwards towards the fortress, he couldn't bear to see so many loving families die under the wrath of this hellish army. This, and only this, is what brought him to ask for help from Colagan against the will of the Lord.

Marius Brocalan, one of the commanders of the Colagan military, is an old friend of the Lord of Sharizan, and knows of his carelessness to war in times like this. When the Chancellor Haston O'Braek describes their situation, he informs the Baron Erquan of his leave. Erquan sends with him a large force of soldiers to help defend Sharizan.

Baron Erquan is a fat, bald and short man with no intention of fighting himself in a war. In truth, Colagan could do with a new Baron. But Erquan's selflessness and care for his people is greater then any strong warrior.

The Lord of Sharizan goes by few names, and it is rumored he has been ill for some time, slowing going into madness. He is careless, stupid and not fit to be a leader of a country, though he is a great warrior and has fought in many wars. Some people even say that he has no name, and that it was lost long ago.

Braizenhome is a small village a few days' ride on horseback from Sharizan, and is practically inside a large valley in the mountains. Braizenhome is on the edge of the country Sharizan, and is unprotected. The fort Alcarth is located on one of the hills rising on the side of the valley.

Alcarth is a small fort with palisade walls and a small number of men, however fit for battle and to hold off enemies long enough for a message to be sent for reinforcements. Being built in a strategically brilliant position, a small group of 50 or so men could hold off an army for a small duration of time. Alcarth keeps it's shadow on the village Braizenhome, about two days ride away.

Sharizan is the more vivid and lively part of the snowy north. There are spots where grass is visible above the large layer of snow, and where pine trees grow in large clumps in these spots of green. The country is run by the Lord himself, and yet is one of the least defended countries in the northern snowy wastelands.

Sharizan, the castle, is confusingly named after the country by the supposedly mad Lord. It is a huge fortress, with large walls on one side and the natural mountain defenses on the other. Half of the city was once built into the mountain behind it, but after a devastating avalanche the entire half was buried under rock, and millions were killed, leaving Sharizan smaller then most other fortresses.

Colagan is a small country east of Sharizan, mostly comprised of snowy plains and mountainous terrain. The temperatures in Colagan are always below freezing point, and is the coldest country in the north. Surprisingly, Colagan stills houses a larger military then Sharizan. It is overseen by Baron Erquan, though ultimately is under the power of the Lord.

Mount Eranor is a large mountain range cutting through the middle of the countries Colagan and Sharizan. This range separates the two, and the only easy way through is pass blocked in winter. Unsurprisingly, many of Colagan's and Sharizan's scout forces have uncovered secret tunnels and icy caverns through the mountain, and use these primarily to send reinforcements and to communicate, since the pass is unreliable most of the time.

Magic is tackled in a different way to most. The power of magic comes from the Earth itself, and only extremely powerful beings can wield it. Only a few humans are born with this power in their blood, and it is usually from the ancestry of an angel. However, these people are few and far between, and nobody has seen magic for hundreds of years. Some rumors suggest that even demons can use magic, but nobody has seen one for thousands of years.

Note that below you will find two titles. The first is 'Changelog' and this refers to changes that this thread has had. The second is 'Patch Notes' and this refers to changes that have been made to the actual campaign maps.

Since I haven't got BETA or any real progress on the map yet, I won't be starting the Patch Notes until later.

[Changelogs]

- Changed 'Extra Lore' to 'Additional Lore'.
- Added the Magic section underneath Additional Lore.
- Made good progress on the first mission.
- Added the 'Art' section below. Check to see my very, extremely good art (not really).

- Added several locations and characters to the Extra Lore section, so that you may delve a tiny bit more into the story.
- Overhauled the thread layout.
- I'm working on screenshots, and I've got them ready to post up, just need to get onto a computer at my friend's house (he's helping me with 3D modelling). He's on holiday ATM but should be back within the week.

[Art]

Here's some artistic work I did. Just be sure you know that I am not an artist, and I am not trying to create fine pieces. They are just sketches that I did on the computer and, well, they are the best I can do :ogre_hurrhurr:.

So this is a map I did, though it isn't final and it is definitely not the last layout of the map. When I have time, I'll do a more proper version of the map.

207148-albums7052-picture78262.bmp

Alright, here's another piece. This is a Sharizan Guard and I've created a skin that will fit this artwork.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/207148-albums7052-picture78264.bmp

Last edited:
Level 4
I suppose I really need screenshots to rate this but it looks promising so far. If you are accepting suggestions for systems or other ideas I can help you there. You look the story writer yourself, but I can help you with that sort of stuff too.

1) How big will the maps be? If they are of any decent size, you should add a lot of little secrets, mini-games that lead to special items, and even little Easter eggs that have nothing to do with the actual game.

2) By sounds of the mission names, Sharizan actually does get destroyed. Does this mean we'll have another campaign in, say, Colagan? How about a campaign about the enemy, as in you are this enemy (apparently, by reading bits and pieces of your post, they are demons?) and have to wage war on Colagan.

3) Do you think you could post a map? I mean, it would have nothing to do with the maps at all (maybe a little), but it would be nice to see some landmarks to we can get to know where we are, I suppose.

Level 7
A map... well, I whipped this one up in about 5 minutes. Please, please don't judge my artistic style :O. I put Hidden tags around it so other people have the choice to go blind at my horrible work :p.

207148-albums7052-picture78262.bmp

I suppose it's not that bad. If somebody wants to help me make a new map (preferably for a loading screen, because I am not using mine) go for it, I'll definitely credit you. It doesn't even have to be good, just better then mine.

Level 4
Oh... well, I know where everything is.

I'm horrible at art as well ;(, but I'm sure you'll find somebody. In fact, it's not even that bad. Just don't use it as a loading screen.

Level 7
I wasn't planning to use it as an LS.

:l really looking for some ideas and support for this map. I understand that people can't guarrentee that a project is promising without screenys, and I promise they'll be up soon.

Also, +rep to Austin for your support.

Level 3
I can help with the story if you really want. I mean, the first part is great, but I can do mission briefings and possibly make some heroes, items or side quests.

Level 7
Thanks that would be great. I'm pretty good on the story and mission briefings, but item and side quest ideas would be much appreciated.

Also, if you could add some abilities and meaning to these heroes, again it'd be helpful.

Haston O'Braek - The Councillor, is intelligence based. I'll need spells that aren't powerful yet help others, no magic, with a few melee fighting abilities in their too (he was a former soldier).

Marius Brocalan - The Colagan military commander, is strength based. I'll need melee and pure, legit abilities, no magic.

Thanks. All heroes should have 3 abilities.

Level 28
O'Braek: since he's supposed to be an experienced soldier, have him give out orders to better survive combat.

Stay sharp!: Encourages his men to greater caution. When active, all friendly units in range have a chance to avoid attacks entirely.

Seen them before: Shares knowledge of weaknesses in the enemy's armor. Selects a target unit, all enemy units of that type on the battlefield get reduced armor.

Iron Guard: When active, has a chance to block a melee attack and do triple damage to the attacker.

Status
Not open for further replies.